Remodel plan

/ Remodel plan #1  

Taylortractornut

Elite Member
Tractor
3550 Fard Backhoe and a 1948 Farmall Cub,
Amy and I were sitting here the other night and looking at the walls of our living room. She grew up in a house that nothing was ever done to maybe a few additions to it. I bought this house from my parents when they divorced and it had been remodeled several times by mother and it was alway a PITA. Being Male when I was single and lived almost 50/50 house/shop I didnt care to remodel. When Am's grandmother died she inherited all of what was left of the antiques. Feed grinders, Coffee grinders, Meal and meat grinders, Saws COtton scales and the like. A whole 16 foot trailer stacked a foot deep worth.

We cant display it like we would like to as theres several super rare pices for this area in the collection. We ate at a Cracker barrel one a few months ago and she and I got to talking about the way the items were displayed. WE got to looking at the main living room and one wall is about 33 feet long. Our living room was combined into a great room.

I got to thinking about milling some rough cut pine and and sanding it down and using a clear stain to make a board and batton wall like a barn. THen using some scrolled shalf brackets I made to hold a large red oak mante/ shelf to hold the old toy tractors and thermoses on the long wall. I want to put down laminate flooring first and g et rid of the Carpet in the room as well. Then decorate the wall with about hould of the antiques. Whats gonna be fun is gettin everything flush straight and square during all this.

/ Remodel plan #2  
I think running your pine through a planer will give you a nice finish more quickly without much sanding. I run rough lumber though the planer and it comes out pretty well ready to use.

/ Remodel plan #3  
Within reason, I don't think straight and square are all that important for what you will display as long as the boards are in plumb vertically and/or level on the horizontal. You can also break up that long wall by running an opposing set of boards at 45* in some part of it.

||||||////\\\\|||||

To me, the biggest challenge would be to figure out the layout of the various items on the wall or floor below it such that you end up with a visually pleasing result. Some people have an eye for that and I know I am not one of them.

I would imagine you will need a variety of hanging and mounting methods. While you are at it, you may as well put in air jets connected to your shop compressor so it can all be 'self-dusting' :laughing:

If that coffee grinder is one of the big floor models like they had in general stores, I will 'store' it for you if you run out of room. :D

Sounds like a fun project.
Dave.

/ Remodel plan #4  
I think running your pine through a planer will give you a nice finish more quickly without much sanding. I run rough lumber though the planer and it comes out pretty well ready to use.

If you have access or are able to pay someone to plane them you would be miles ahead. Sanding rough sawn down will be a dusty and time consuming job. I did my whole deck (12'x30') out of red oak that was rough sawn and while I only planed one side I was glad when I finished.

/ Remodel plan
Id have to find a planer I may have one source. My late grandfather took ole barn wood in the 70's and belt sanded them lightly. THis old house was moved from Holcut when it was dug out for the Tenn Tomm. DOnt think they used a square building it lol.

Dave Ya got an idea there on the air hose lol. I could also use it to run my vitage 50's air horn set to wake my pregnant wife at a safe distance. I have it mostly laied out in my head how each item will go and be attached. THe coffee grinders one has a hopper and an ornate FLywheel about 12 inches across. Te other is just a hopper with a handle and the burs. Lots of this stuff I never would have known except Amys granfather had mot of it labled. Gonna mount the 1000 shot 1909 BB gun on part of it. Id love to have nickel for every bir thats took out.

IM gonna mount the cowbells low enough for folks kids can get them down and rattle them lol.
Another thing Id like to put on one shelf Im working on for my tractor books and Garden books is using some odd rare wood for this area. Like some Persimmon and sassafras. Ill have to mount and remount and move stuff lol. Ive gotta get the flooring down first then go from there.

/ Remodel plan #6  
Hi Taylor,

Sounds like you have a good plan going on there. Would be a great way to display Grandma's "treasures" (just antiques and old stuff if they had belonged to anyone outside of family and friends, but that's just me).
I think that if it were me, I would leave the boards in there rough sawmill run state. It seems to me the items and the sawmill marks on the lumber would match up better than finished lumber.

But on to the point of my posting a reply. If you do decide to go with the finished lumber you are more than welcomed to bring your lumber and use my planner, you are not too far from Rienzi you know and you can't beat the price. Won't cost a dime except transportation. And if you don't want to use the power planer I have truck load of hand planes YOU can use. I like to use the hand planes but on that size job I prefer power, power and more power.

Taylor, I'm serious about the offer so give it some thought if you decide to go with finished lumber. It'll save you a few coin.

David

/ Remodel plan
Dave I appreciate the offer, I may take you up on it if I decide to finish it. IF the mill makes the boards come out right Im going to leave them smooth milled. These antiues were stored near my wifes parents house in Jacinto.

I got my first old hand plane in some of this stuff on the trailer and thats a skill I havent mastered yet lol. Could you use some old barn wood for anything. Ive got some from a 50 year old shed Im about to take down.

/ Remodel plan #8  
Taylor,

Thanks for the offer of the barn wood I appreciate it. Right now I have no projects that I could use it on and no space for storage (darn it).

Now as for as your "new to you" plane stick it in your pocket and bring it on over and we'll see if we can get you started or hooked on using it. I'm no expert at using one but I can get the job done. The main thing is getting the iron extremely sharp as in scalpel sharp at the correct angle among a few other minor things.

If you find yourself sitting around getting bored some day just come on over.

David