Spaying Mesquite

/ Spaying Mesquite #1  

scardwell

Was curious what type of sprayer and pump you all use for those that use Remedy and diesel to spray mesquite. I bought a 15 gal Fimco sprayer with a 12 volt diaphragm High-Flo pump for my ATV and have gone through 2 pumps in less than a year. I called the maker and was told the mixture of Remedy and diesel is ruining the pumps so trying to figure out what type of pump I should be using.

/ Spaying Mesquite #3  
I use a 300 gal. tank on a 4 wheel trailer and pto driven pump . Also use Remendy and dish water soap to spray brush. Use at 1 pint per 20 gal. of liquid. Diesel seems to weaken the rubber lines. So my question is why diesel.
ken

/ Spaying Mesquite
Yeah, it was a typo but thought it was fitting after the fact since there seems to be no other way from keeping the stuff from spreading.

Ken, as for the use of diesel its just what I've always heard to do and mentioned in the Remedy mixing instructions for mesquite. Also, indicated best for stem spray of mesquite at Brush Busters Texas Natural Resources Server for the following reason, "A mixture of the herbicide Remedy and diesel fuel oil is very effective for this method. Diesel acts as a coating to ensure good coverage and absorption." But I may try dish detergent, which the same web-site indicates is good for the "leaf spray method".

/ Spaying Mesquite #5  
I don't have mesquite but after a tornado took out 30 acres of good oak and some pine had a dozer come in and push the trees and brush into a winrow for burning. Must of been on his dozer tracks because every where he went a crop of Russion thistles showed up.
So I have been for the past 2 years spraying where the trees and dozer worked trying to keep the thistles down.
Maybe this year will be able to get rid of the seed.
Some of the farmers around here use old motor oil mixed with diesel but leaves such a smell is why asked why Diesel.
In mid Sixtys lived in Corona N.Mex. area there ranchers were using a ship anchor chain and 2 dozers to drag cross country clearing the brush then some one came in with large tractor with a pull type weight to crush the mesquite into the ground. it was interesting to watch.
ken

/ Spaying Mesquite #6  
Try the dish soap. It really helps break the surface tension, allowing water ect to absorb in to woody fiber.

That is why we use foam on wildland firefighting. Really helps the water penetrate and soak in to the wood. In a pinch, dish soap works too.

Diesel acts as a coating to ensure good coverage and absorption." But I may try dish detergent, which the same web-site indicates is good for the "leaf spray method".

/ Spaying Mesquite #7  
When I sprayed,grazon on my pastures noticed a week or so later over spray that hit the mesquite was dyeing,so bought a few small bottles of 2,4-d and mixed it up in a smaller 20 gallon sprayer and sprayed and it is killing the mesquite,have only used it on smaller mesquite under 4' but is working so far and alot cheaper then remedy.Also last time I went to go get some remedy the guy at the co-op said relegate is a newer cheaper remedy and at $56 a gallon alot cheper then remedy at $78 a gallon.And by using the 2,4-d I can over spray the mesquite and not have to worry about killing all my grass,and for about 7 bucks a pint mixed into a 20 gallon sprayer can cover alot more ground cheaper.My ag-agent is coming out next week to see what I've been doing and spray some mesquite to test it for himself.