Stelrad/ Northland Boiler-Add on Boiler

/ Stelrad/ Northland Boiler-Add on Boiler #1  

Anonymous Poster

Hello there,

I have a Stelrad NC-2 "Add on Wood and Coal Boiler" marketed by Northland Boiler sitting disconnected in my basement. It came with the house when I bought it. Well, after this winter, I am determined to get it hooked up again to cut down on my oil use. Does anyone have one of these or know where I can get installation or owner's manuals? It looks fairly straight forward, but I am not sure how it interfaces with the main boiler as far as supplying the hot water into the system. It looks like it might have it's own zone valve and would need to use the circulator pump hooked up to the regular boiler. Do I need a separate themostat?

Any help would be appreciated. I searched the web, but all I could find was a radiator company with no mention of ever making boilers. I anyone know how I can get in touch with the OEM that would be fantastic.

/ Stelrad/ Northland Boiler-Add on Boiler #2  
Would you be able to describe in more detail what you see on this boiler?

I don't have that brand, but I do have a wood fired boiler that is hooked (plumbed) into my regular house system, and will function in parallel or in series with the gas-fired boiler, either one or the other or both running to heat water. The gas-fired heats water when the thermostats kick the pumps on for heat, whereas the wood boiler just maintains water temperature (warm to hot depending on the amount of wood burning at the time) and the pumps distribute it around the house when the thermostats call for heat in that location. Works quite well, in my opinion.

If your unit has inlet water (at the bottom) and outlet at the top, then there should be a safety valve similar to a water heater somewhere. There should be a way to monitor water temperature and control an air-intake damper.

How do the thermostats control your water distribution now? Through a pump and zone valves? Or a pump for each thermostat?

Here is a link to a post showing my set-up for a wood fired boiler.

Wood-fired boiler _

/ Stelrad/ Northland Boiler-Add on Boiler #3  
Your Stelrad NC-2 probably was manufactured in Austria and came in through Northland Boiler and V&P Importers, Ltd. There should be a plate on the red skirting indicating serial number and test date, likely at Arnold Greene Testing Lab in Quincy, Mass. I have an NC-2 and need replacement steel pump mount, the one at the bottom, rear. Original equipment rusted away. So far, have been unable to identify company with connection to the Stelrad, add-on wood/coal units that were sold in the early 1980s. Am waiting for word from Stelrad in England. They've asked for more information. I wonder if old Stelrad cast-iron-boiler company that produced the NC-2 has morphed into the radiator manufacturer.

/ Stelrad/ Northland Boiler-Add on Boiler #4  
FYI , You might check the Op,s date of this thread . He has 0 posts So I,m guessing He,s not coming back. Welcome BTW . :D . Bob