Security,TV Monitoring systems, and Trail Tracker

/ Security,TV Monitoring systems, and Trail Tracker #1  

dmccarty

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4700
In one of the Kubota sections under Wife's driving tractors, a bit of a thread started up on Wireless TV Monitoring. I figured it would be better to move the conversation to Rural and talk security.

Ever since I cleared the saplings from the road going into the middle of my property I have had people tresspassing. Since I don't live on the property it was hard to catch them. I have managed to find them from time to time and I THINK I finally talked to the last person on Friday. Time and the Trail Tracker will tell.

At one point I was sending a note to my father and I was joking that I would buy a remote triggering device for a 35mm camera when it hit me that they make a much cheaper varient that was for sale in Cabelas. They go by various names but the one I got is called Trail Tracker. It sends out a bean 3 feet wide and 60 feet long. Anything hitting the beam records a date and time. A kit is available to allow you to hook up a camera to take a picture when the beam is broken.

I have only had mine running for a since last Friday but it seems to work. I can get a good idea of what is happening on the property and when. If the trespasser's become a problem again I'll have a record of when they are entering the property and be there to meet them one day.

Hope this helps....
Dan McCarty

/ Security,TV Monitoring systems, and Trail Tracker #2  
Re: Security,TV Monitoring systems, and Trail Trac

Dan,
I just got one that takes a photo, in hopes of catching the person who put the bomb under my deer hunting tree stand a few weeks ago. I paid $240.00 and that included the shipping. I have not developed any film yet, but some photos have been taken. I don't know if it was set off by deer or someone near my stand. I hope to catch the a** h*le who thinks bambi's life is worth more than Mine or my children's. Good luck with finding them.

Von

/ Security,TV Monitoring systems, and Trail Tracker #3  
Dan,
You have a good idea,but there are couple of things you might want to consider.
1. Your dealing with humans,and if these people know of a trail tracker or stumble onto it,its as good as gone.
2.Bears..yep there something about the smell of the film of 35mm also vcr tapes,and than the bear will have fun not unless you have it protected by metal in which I found out to work the best.
Maybe your local police department or game warden could help dealing with this issue.

Take care and stay safe.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Security,TV Monitoring systems, and Trail Tracker #4  
Good topic/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I wouldn't trade my next attachment for a surveilance system, but it need not cost an arm and leg. Most of the stuff you need you probably already have. A VCR and Infarad motion detector. Surveilance cameras are relatively cheap(www.spycameras4less.com). Some are wireless.
Works like this: Camera is always on VCR is not. Motion/IR detector starts the VCR (as oppossed to a flood lamp) recording when it detects something. VCR records and turns off when the motion detector does. Most motion detector have a settable on time.
You can get a lot of video on a 8 hour tape. If nobody robs you rewind the tape occasionally and start over. The trick is to set your VCR to record upon power application. I did this with tape over the record button. You can check this out before you commit to buying a camera.

I used this scheme with an Infared Camera (night vision) and illuminator to watch critters at night. Total cost $69 for the camera.

On the down side some states (WA) have some strict restrictions on what you can record on the sly. I don't think I would try to catch teenagers that park in the north forty./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Security,TV Monitoring systems, and Trail Tracker #5  
Twink...You've definitely got the right ideas re: 'off the shelf' security hardware and hook-ups. You've jogged my remaining brain cell to recognize creative vigilance when it is dropped in front of me.
If I might try to compliment your ideas---
How 'bout:
- a jeep-type 12v after-market windshield wiper motor(marine stainless is more durable but $$) w/cc camera, wireless or hard-wired, mounted on the wiper shaft.(+- 140degrees of scan)
-power this 12v.semi-rotator motor-drive with a 120v ac/13v+ dc stepdown convertor plugged into a JBL or Stanley or Radio Shack remote cordless appliance module(s) coded to the master controller. Using separtely coded On-er/Off-er modules and step down plug-in convertors opens up a myriad of possible applications. eg. lights, camera, action in the abilty to swing camera through a wide field of coverage as the wiper motor semi-rotates and rebounds when power is applied. I fabricated, installed, and operated this system with 12v halogen flood light mounted on the camera platform so as I panned the camera, I could illuminate the target. My set-up also enabled me to zoom and focus the camera.(an old b/w very cheap video cam) I operated this set-up in Chugiak, Alaska for 8 years. (2 ea. cam/lights/motor drives/step-down convertors/control modules) In that period I changed out about 6 or 7 halogen bulbs, replaced the clear lexan lens covers on the Tupperware "weather boxes" housing the cameras- once on each box cuz of volcano ash sticking to my lens covers....that's it! No other maintenance or expense in 8 years of Alaskan weather exposure and constant use. Camera signals were co-ax split to my shop, the house tv's and to a control module activated vcr with the RECORD button taped(screwed) down.

OK, great!? You still need 120v dc plug in's....true. How 'bout motion actuation if your not around to tape shagnasty interlopers?
There's a solar powered IR mo-d-tec transmitter, activating a 120v ac on-er/off-er master receiver w/range of +- 100'. With a little imagination, some stepdown modules etc. It's off-the-shelf inexpensive stuff that works. Contact me for specifics to ad nauseum minutiae which I will gladly pass on. I may be paranoid, but that doesn't mean they're not after you, or that I can't help others guard against THEM. They're everywhere. I'd better cut this off....
Don't forget to use those wireless intercoms
with the CALL button tacked down on the one connected to the master receiver so you can plug in a like-channeled unit anywhere within your common electrical circuitry. Add an acoustic light-on detector near the receiving intercom, and we're back to 120v dc on-er/off-er capability with a screw-in-plug-in adaptor for the noise activated unit.
This stuff really works!

LazyK.gif

Lazy K - Chip

/ Security,TV Monitoring systems, and Trail Tracker
The humans have to find the tracker first! :cool: They have a greater chance right now but this weekend I'm going to be hiding it a bit better. Once I'm done they won't know it is there.

Bears are not a problem. The people trespassing are my "neighbors" from a subdivision on one side of the property. I have the land posted which is helping to keep people away and I had a talk with what I hope is the last person who was walking my road. I DONT want to have them arrested but the ones who are well within the property and have already been warned by me personally are going to have the law called on them. I'm afraid if I don't enforce the posted signs I'm just going to be in for more trouble. But hopefully it wont come to that.

If I can't catch the people there is nothing the sheriff can do. I have to find out IF they are still trespassing, be there when they are in the act, and then call the sheriff. Thus I need the Trail Tracker to find out IF and WHEN they are on the property.

Course Razor Wire, claymores, attack killer dogs, etc would be more interesting and fun! :cool: I gotta protect my tractor after all! :cool:

Later...
Dan

/ Security,TV Monitoring systems, and Trail Tracker #7  
Twinkle Toes, this sounds like what I have been looking for.

I have been looking for a video system I can turn on, and have it record if anyone comes in the house or goes back to my shop. I wanted it to be motion sensitive. I've lived in homes that have had the heat/motion sensors. If you go by and the alarm is on it will sound off. I don't want an alarm any more. We were borken into with just such an alarm about 6 years ago. They hit my shop first, no alarm. Then broke into the house and were out within 2 or 3 minutes. They didn't get a lot, but they got enough. Of course no one saw anything. The cops came, dusted, left, and that was it. I called all the local pawn shops and my stuff didn't surface.

From that I learned that the alarm didn't do much good. The cops said the theives know that even with an alarm, if they get in and out quickly, they will get away with it.

Next time, if there is a next time, I want pictures of whomever pays me an unscheduled visit. With pictures I can get something solved.

Any other places to go for more info?

/ Security,TV Monitoring systems, and Trail Tracker #8  
Bill,
I think this might fit your application, but probably no the others mentioned above.
http://www.starkelectronic.com/d201.htm

This system runs on your PC. You could watch you tractor while you talk on this forum!

The basis is a video capture card that goes in your PC. A camera is connected to this. The camera is is set on the object you want to watch. The PC softweare senses if there is a change in any pixel, caused by motion. It recors this streaming video on your harddrive. You can play this as a AVI or MPEG.

We have a system like this, but much more expensive, where I work. It works AWESOME! If someone does things incorrect, we can email the little video to them and thier manager. It only records when there is a "trigger" caused by the pixel variation; it stops when the pixel stabalizes.

There are a number of other systems similar to this.

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

/ Security,TV Monitoring systems, and Trail Tracker #9  
RobertN -

<font color=blue>The PC softweare senses if there is a change in any pixel,</font color=blue>

...uhhhh, like trees or grass blowing in the wind? Or the shadow of a passing cloud? /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

I've had my eye on those type of systems for a while, but I think they're better at indoor locations or building entrances where nothing is supposed to move.

Way cool technology, though. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Security,TV Monitoring systems, and Trail Tracker #10  
Bill,

Take a look @ http://www.x10.com/homepage.htm and you can get a good idea of whats out there. Check out the "special ends tomorrow sale" (I hate that kind of marketing) IR detector and black and white camera $69. I will be happy to help where I can.