paper wasp nest

/ paper wasp nest #1  

randy41

Veteran Member
there was a pretty big nest attached to my little hoophouse. i was putting up some plastic chicken wire along the sides to keep out crows but when i got down to the wasp side i got hit. so i got my bee jacket and tried to continue working but all the head butting got me unnerved. so i knocked the nest to the ground with a long handled hoe. will they abandon the nest now that its on the ground?
since i grow organically i don't want to spray in an area that i have veggies growing.

/ paper wasp nest #3  
In my experience... many times they will continue to congregate where the nest had been, sometimes building a new nest. Regardless, you can bet there will be a few mad wasps hanging around for a while.

/ paper wasp nest #4  
randy41 since i grow organically i don't want to spray in an area that i have veggies growing.[/quote said:
My guess is you couldn't tell the difference between an organic sting and a non-organic sting, could you? :laughing:

Go out at night and spray it with a powerful hose. Repeat nightly. They'll die or leave soon. ;)

/ paper wasp nest #5  
Make sure you remove the "stem" that held the nest. I would even gouge off some of the wood where the stem was attached. The stem has an odor that attracts the wasps back to build again.

We had wasps going into the attic through a small hole. Even when the hole was covered and the nest removed, they congregated in the area looking for an entry. We removed the stem and base from the attic side and they lost interest in that location.

/ paper wasp nest #6  
For small ones I give the nest a shot of WD40...

/ paper wasp nest #8  
That stem can cause a red wasp to build a multitiered nest. Here we see them sometimes in 3 layers..Wd-40 does work..wasp spray is better...

/ paper wasp nest #9  
If you want to kill the wasps without pesticides, Dawn dish soap mixed pretty strong with water in a sprayer will kill them.

/ paper wasp nest #10  
If you want to kill the wasps without pesticides, Dawn dish soap mixed pretty strong with water in a sprayer will kill them.

Dawn has endless usefull properties. I'll bet the EPA is looking at it closely. :(