Thinning out pines

/ Thinning out pines #21  
Clemsonfor:

I am looking at property about an hour South of Augusta Ga on sandy loam and loamy sand, mostly scrub pine and scrub oak 1-6 inch diameter.

what is the best, most cost effective way to cut trails through the property?

if the 1-4 inch stumps rot out on a season or two what is the best way to flush cut them to the soil?

I would use a Big weedeater with the beaver blade (or brush blade). That or a chain saw. If your doing like miles of property you may want to rent a bobcat and push it or get a mulcher head on it. I would say tractor but there is no way your bushhogging a 6" stump with anykind of cutter short of the "Brown Tree cutter". Cutting 1 mile of trails with a brush saw will kill you.

The PINE stumps will rot out, the hardwood will stay live and "stump sprout" into a bunch of little trees to cut down next year. If you plan on bushogging each year this may not be a problem for you. But i personally would cut the stumps and brush on a 100% solution of 41% glyphosate (trade name roundup) right after you cut the hardwood. OR come back after they have resprouted in late summer before leafe color change say late september and spray the re-growth with a solution of glyphosate at the labled rate for hardwood control.

/ Thinning out pines
I am going to look into renting a flail mower. I will let you all know how it goes. Thanks

/ Thinning out pines #24  
Clemsonfor:

How flush with the ground can a mulcher head cut the stumps?

Do different cutting heads/knives resist dulling better than others when run in the dirt?

/ Thinning out pines #25  
Clemsonfor:

How flush with the ground can a mulcher head cut the stumps?

Do different cutting heads/knives resist dulling better than others when run in the dirt?

Mulcher heads can cut below the dirt. If you run the entire thing in the ground the whole time your hammers/knives will dull really fast but those bobcats with mulching heads can be placed all the way to the ground till they trow dirt then pulled up leaving the stup below the true ground level. Like i said depending on how much you do this and esp if in sand it will wear the teeth out fast. But that is the point to them, there is no point to have a mulching head mower or gyrotrac and then leave a 3-6" above ground stump?

/ Thinning out pines #26  
If you do not want to brush hog them, use a chain with the FEL will be the cheapest. Just have an assistant wrap a chain 2 or 3 times and lift the loader.

I would just come in with the loader and doze them into a pile.
hugs, Brandi

/ Thinning out pines #27  
Clemsonfor

Excellent information

How long would the cutting heads last in the situation you describe? 10 hrs 100 hrs?