PROPANE HEATER HELP

/ PROPANE HEATER HELP #1  

Code54

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100, Kubota BX25D,1957 Farmall Cub Lo-Boy Kubota KX91-3, BCS 853
I am looking to heat my shop this year and am looking at Propane for my heat source. We do not have natural gas as an option and I want to keep it above freezing all the time so wood is getting ruled out. The shop is 30x40x10 (open rafters) with insulation. It is metal, with a foam metallic covered 1" insulation, then a layer of OSB on the inside. The ceiling is also covered with the same insulation under the metal.
I was thinking around 75,000 BTU up to 120,000 BTU - ceiling mounted unit with a blower (Modine Power-Vented Propane Heater 120K BTU) and was not too sure that was too much or maybe not enough. I also was wondering what the fuel consumption will be like. I have a option of a 500 Gal tank to be installed at $2.19 a gal for the propane, $95 install fee (they bring it and install it) and no contact. All they ask is you use 200 gal in at least 18 months which I don't see as a problem.
I am in WV and the avg. temp is about 30 in the winter (as per the weather site) and I want to keep the shop above freezing normally - say about 45 or 50 and maybe two nights and one day a week heat it up to 65 or so to work. I am wondering if having a larger unit is better because it will turn on less often but I also know it would use more fuel. Also what do you find as a real world (guess) on how much fuel I will use a year. If it is only a tank I would be more than happy. Also any tips and tricks for installing a ceiling unit (and vents)
THANKS

/ PROPANE HEATER HELP #2  
I have a 150,000 btu modine furnace in a 30 x 40 x 14 shop with the same insulation as you have. I'm in the market for a redo on the insulation and plan on adding r19 to walls and r30 to ceiling later this year.

Have to get the gumption to clearing out the entire shop to do this though.

My heater will heat my shop to 70 deg in about 20 minutes when the outside temp is 10F. i have a ceiling fan in the peak to help circulate the heat back down. I couldn't even guess As to the amount of fuel i use, as i share the house tank.

however propane is supposed to have 92,000 BTU per gallon, therefore I'm using about 1.5 gal (+/-) per hour as best as i can guess. However i usually just heat up the shop then shut it off. stays plenty warm for me. If it gets too cool, i turn it back on.

The biggest loss of heat is everytime i roll up the door, which i have to do when welding or plasma cutting in the winter....burrrr.

these heaters are a pretty cheap and lazy way to heat. if i was using the shop more, id install a wood or pellet stove probably.

/ PROPANE HEATER HELP
Sounds like we have a similar building situation and if it is working for you and you are higher and in a colder area I am thinking it should work well.
I have a chimney pipe in place in my building but with having to cut wood, haul wood, and stock the stove daily I am leaning toward propane. I figure with all the time I save not having to cut and deal with wood I can use the shop! Ha Ha
I was also kicking around the idea of a fume extractor to deal with the welding smoke inside, figured it would also help with the heat loss.
Thanks for the info I appreciate it! I want to hear everyones thoughts and opinions because I figure it will help me make a better informed decision.

/ PROPANE HEATER HELP #4  
We had a "hatchery" barn we heated with LP, I used two radiant LP heaters, one at each end (60x60). I can't remember the Btu's , but I believe they where 150,000. Also both had thermostats, so that gave us good control over fuel usage. They worked great, didn't scorch the air, but it was warm and surfaces stayed warm.

I know one thing they weren't cheap, got ours from Graingers.

/ PROPANE HEATER HELP #5  
I have a 100 k FAF ( forced air furnace) in the rafters with duct work in my shop 24x42 10 ft tall. It heats good. when I'm not in the shop, I keep it around 40 deg. I also have an A/C connected to it for summer work

/ PROPANE HEATER HELP #6  
I have a 24x40 pole barn with foam board insulation under roof and on bottom of roof trusses, 1/2 inch foam board on walls. I found a used electric furnace out of a mobile home. I unhooked one of two heating elements as I did not want to overload the service cable. The unit blows air out of the bottom so I welded up a one foot high frame for the furnace to set on. This unit has worked great for about 10 + years. I keep it set at 55 during Winter and when using the building it quickly jumps up to 70. I don't have to worry about propane delivery in Winter as I live up on a mountain where LP gas trucks fear to tread. I have never noticed any significant increase in my electric bill caused by the furnace. Nice clean safe heat, change two filters occasionally, end of story.

/ PROPANE HEATER HELP #7  
I have a large louvered nursery exhaust (greenhouse) fan on the side opposite the roll up door. I turn that on, roll up the door about 6" and weld. Out goes all exhause...and all hot air.

I have a personal respirator on also, which brings in fresh outside air to a mask while welding...cant be too careful.

/ PROPANE HEATER HELP #8  
What about what garygary did.
$350 Solar Heating Thermosyphon Collector

We are switching over to propane this year in the house. We will be getting a jotul stove, and we are also going to make two solar air heaters for the side of our house to help cut propane costs.

/ PROPANE HEATER HELP
Some good ideas here - I also like the idea of solar heat and am going to look in to a bit more as a way to lower my heating bills. I don't mind having to buy propane but hey, the less the better

/ PROPANE HEATER HELP #10  
If you know of an HVAC company in your area. Check with them. If there like me & replace good used furnaces at times so, that they can install all new matching equipment. You may be able to get a good used 1. If it happens to be for NG. get them to buy a conversion kit for it. Just make sure it's a multi position furnace so you can hang it from the rafters