Do You Do Beet Greens?

/ Do You Do Beet Greens? #1  

keegs

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M5640SUD
Do you toss the greens and just go for the beets or do you cook up the greens too? I usually go for the greens as well ... just boil 'm .. and maybe put some butter and lemmon on.

/ Do You Do Beet Greens? #5  
When I was a kid, we ate turnip greens, poke, and spinach. But when my wife and I had a garden, we always had turnips and turnip greens and like those greens enough that we never bothered with any others. Our nearst neighbors (who quickly became our best friends) always had collards in their garden, too, and we've eaten and enjoyed them. However, both those neighbors and ourselves, always raised beets. They only wanted their beets pickled, and while we like pickled beets occasionally, we preferred our beets hot, buttered and peppered instead of pickled. But neither of us bothered with the beet greens until we were talking about it one day and the neighbor lady cooked up a batch of beet greens for supper that night. She decided she didn't care for them because "they taste too much like spinach" and she didn't care for spinach. Yep, I agree that they tasted very much like spinach, but since I DO like spinach, I thought the beet greens were very good.

Of course we boiled the greens instead of steaming them, and when I put them on my plate to eat, I like to add a teaspoonful of pickle juice. And I don't care whether it's from dill pickles, sweet pickles, or bread & butter pickles.

/ Do You Do Beet Greens?
Thanks all...I always like reading your posts Bird.

I agree, beet greens do taste like spinach and I too like spinach as well but the wife's not all that crazy about it (or the beet greens) so I was on my own there.

I used the tops off about 8 smallish (little bigger than a golf ball) size beets. I discarded some of the less desireable looking leaves and broke apart the remainder. That went into the pot with about a cup of water with some garlic, olive oil and butter.

It came out OK but I think I used too much water. Next time I'm going to try a quarter cup since the leaves contain a fair amount of water on their own.

The Italians like to saute` their greens. I think I'm going to give that a try too...maybe stirred in with some small rigatoni and a few sliced up Italian sausuages...some Italian red pepper...and a little Romano cheese sprinkled on top at the finish.....mmmm ...oh...yeah.

/ Do You Do Beet Greens? #7  
Thanks all...I always like reading your posts Bird.

I agree, beet greens do taste like spinach and I too like spinach as well but the wife's not all that crazy about it (or the beet greens) so I was on my own there.

I used the tops off about 8 smallish (little bigger than a golf ball) size beets. I discarded some of the less desireable looking leaves and broke apart the remainder. That went into the pot with about a cup of water with some garlic, olive oil and butter.

It came out OK but I think I used too much water. Next time I'm going to try a quarter cup since the leaves contain a fair amount of water on their own.

The Italians like to saute` their greens. I think I'm going to give that a try too...maybe stirred in with some small rigatoni and a few sliced up Italian sausuages...some Italian red pepper...and a little Romano cheese sprinkled on top at the finish.....mmmm ...oh...yeah.

And here I haven't had breakfast yet and you're making me hungry.

/ Do You Do Beet Greens? #8  
"Hungry -- no Breakfast"

That's two of us.

Butter and peppered greens make my mouth water.:thumbsup:

Fried Beet Greens with Bacon anyone? :)

/ Do You Do Beet Greens? #9  

Attachments

• DSCN0557.JPG
    DSCN0557.JPG
    413.8 KB · Views: 112
   / Do You Do Beet Greens? #10  
Now I'm thinking of Borsch!:thumbsup: