Its game time.......Me vs. Fox

/ Its game time.......Me vs. Fox #1  

General Lee

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, L4400, BX1870
The wife saw a fox mid afternoon the other day. Said it looked mangy and it was up close to the house. When it saw her it didn't even care. This evening I saw right it up against the house about 30 minutes before dark. We have an indoor/outdoor cat and I was actually petting her when the fox ran up. I scooped up the cat, ran in the garage and went and got some fire power. Unfortunately I couldn't find him again.

May have to go to Tractor Supply and get a caged trap. This is twice in 3 days this fox has been up close and personal. Its game time.

/ Its game time.......Me vs. Fox #2  
Yeah, that dont sound too good, it always seems that rabies peaks in the hot months. and that doesnt sound like too normal fox behavior to me.

I say shoot, shovel into an open area and gas and burn. I would not want to handle a trap. Any saliva or fluids in an open cut.... not good. I have shoot and seen shot rabid animals, and my dad always said burn em.. and that is what we always did.

James K0UA

/ Its game time.......Me vs. Fox #3  
Yeah, that dont sound too good, it always seems that rabies peaks in the hot months. and that doesnt sound like too normal fox behavior to me.

I say shoot, shovel into an open area and gas and burn. I would not want to handle a trap. Any saliva or fluids in an open cut.... not good. I have shoot and seen shot rabid animals, and my dad always said burn em.. and that is what we always did.

James K0UA

Shoot, I had one get all of our chicks a few months ago.

/ Its game time.......Me vs. Fox
I figured a trap would increase my chances in catching him. I can't sit and hunt him all day. I figured if I caught him in the trap I shoot him in the trap. I agree though about handling the trap with fluids on it. Wear gloves and soak it with bleach I suppose. I don't know, I'd like to get him as fast as possible. I also have two dogs and don't need them getting tangled up with it.

/ Its game time.......Me vs. Fox #5  
good point.. I though maybe you were thinking about releasing it.. I would blast the thing anyway I could.

/ Its game time.......Me vs. Fox #6  
Friend back east had fox issues. He would through out hot dogs in a certain part of his yard and watch. Once he saw the fox he would do this over a couple nights. fox was very punctual within five minutes each night. Once he had the time down it was lights out.

/ Its game time.......Me vs. Fox #8  
We have a fox den down the beach on either side of us. The mother of the one den my kids have hand fed for years (she got caught in a racked net when she was a pup and after I freed her she just sat there and lets us pet her) and we have never had a problem with them. They hunt real close to our house and greenhouses and help keep the voles (which are a huge problem) population down. I might feel differently if there had ever been rabies on the island but hasn't made it here. All of them around here right now are pretty mangy with their summer coat half on, but will grow out their nice winter coat this fall. They make pretty nice neighbors, lots better than the magpies!
Rick

/ Its game time.......Me vs. Fox
We have a fox den down the beach on either side of us. The mother of the one den my kids have hand fed for years (she got caught in a racked net when she was a pup and after I freed her she just sat there and lets us pet her) and we have never had a problem with them. They hunt real close to our house and greenhouses and help keep the voles (which are a huge problem) population down. I might feel differently if there had ever been rabies on the island but hasn't made it here. All of them around here right now are pretty mangy with their summer coat half on, but will grow out their nice winter coat this fall. They make pretty nice neighbors, lots better than the magpies!
Rick

I told my wife the mangy coat is probably because of shedding due to time of year. But it is unusual in my area for a fox to be up close and personal like this and that concerns me. (The whole rabies thing)

/ Its game time.......Me vs. Fox #10  
Talk to your local emergency room or health department about the cost of post-exposure rabies shots before you handle: fox, raccoon, skunk, etc.

Some vets get pre-exposure rabies shots, an inoculation of some sort.