Coffee and Prostate Cancer

/ Coffee and Prostate Cancer #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
In response to the thread a few days ago about coffee, I was cutting down and trying to quit until I read a report on MSN about a study concerning coffee and prostate cancer. It seems that if you drink six cups or more a day your chances of getting the cancer are cut dramatically. I believe the numbers were that coffee drinkers had 55% of the prostate cancer of the non drinkers.

Prostate cancer is one of the most common cancers among men. It is usually slow growing and many times the person does not know they have it and die from something else. But in a third of the cases it is fast growing and deadly.

I am told it is a horrible way to die.

One out of four men develop prostate cancer in their lifetime.

I am concerned about this because all three of my brothers-in-law are having prostate problems. The oldest has had his removed last year. The second oldest has PSA numbers that stay around 6.0 and several biopsies but they never find cancer. The youngest, who is only 49 has had to have the radioactive 'seeds' implanted. His PSA numbers were only 2.5 which were lower than mine but they found a malignacy. I had to have a biopsy a few months ago, unpleasant but not as bad as I expected, and came out clear.

If you are aged 45 or older GET YOUR PSA CHECKED. The doctors, or more usually the nurses will take a small blood sample and use this as a baseline. Another check about every six months or year will give them an idea of your prostate health. A sudden increase in the number will tell them and you that more checks should be made. If caught early enough most times the cancer is easily treatable. They told my youngest brother-in-law that with the radioactive implants he would die of something else or old age before the cancer would get him.

Even the aggressive, fast growing type can be removed and a nearly normal life lived, IF it is caught in time.

Remember, one out of four of you reading this either has this cancer or will develop it in your lifetime.

GET YOUR PSA CHECKED.

/ Coffee and Prostate Cancer #2  
A couple weeks ago there was a report in CNN about a university of southern florida study that concluded that coffee will slow or prevent alzenheimer disease. That disease is the sixth leading cause of death in this county.
but you need to drink 4 to 6 cups a day and instant coffee was not included in the study.

/ Coffee and Prostate Cancer #3  
I wonder if it matters that I drink nearly a pot of decaf every day?

/ Coffee and Prostate Cancer #4  
I have not much use of these study's.
Half the time they are later found to be inaccurate or wrong altogether.

You got to die of something and you can't prevent it anyway,no matter what they say.When your time is up,its up.;)
Live like there is no tomorow.:D

BTW i drink prob 3 gal strong coffee daily and its no Decaf either.:licking:

PS,use it or lose it(the prostate)

/ Coffee and Prostate Cancer #6  
I have very close friends and relatives that have/had Prostate Cancer. All of them will tell you that a PSA test is not the only way to get checked for Prostate Cancer. It also needs to be checked for with a digital rectal exam.
One friend had only been check by his doctor with a PSA. His Prostate Cancer problems continue after 5 years. Because of delayed finding of the disease.

Plus be aware of symptoms of possible Prostate Cancer.

• Difficulty starting to urinate
  • Less force to the stream of urine
  • Dribbling after you finish urinating
  • Frequent urination, especially at night
  • Blood or pus in the urine
  • Blood in the semen
  • Pain while urinating
  • Pain with ejaculation
  • Hip and lower back pain that does not go away over time
  • Pain in the lower part of your pelvis
  • Unintended weight loss and/or loss of appetite

/ Coffee and Prostate Cancer #7  
I have not much use of these study's.
Half the time they are later found to be inaccurate or wrong altogether.

You got to die of something and you can't prevent it anyway,no matter what they say.When your time is up,its up.;)
Live like there is no tomorow.:D

BTW i drink prob 3 gal strong coffee daily and its no Decaf either.:licking:

PS,use it or lose it(the prostate)

THREE GALLONS A DAY????!!!! If I did that I would have a post count 20X what I do now becuz I couldn't get any sleep at night...:laughing:

My grandpa died at age 63 from prostate cancer, my dad at age 69, my brother had prostate removal a year ago at age 57, the odds are stacked way, way against me so I get regular PSA tests twice a year.

Agree with you that we are all going to die of something so I give thanks for every day I am alive and healthy enough to enjoy life and my blessings.

/ Coffee and Prostate Cancer #8  
Every time I shake the dew off the lilly! Or are you talking about something else??

Well another "study" found that if you were talking about something else you are on the right track.
According to the doctors toxins build up in the Prostrate that are emptied every time you ejaculate.
So the more often you take the wife's best friend out for a run the healthier your prostrate will be.
Now how true this is I don't know.....but it involves no drugs.....no pain.....no special foods or diet..........you don't have to kill yourself at a gym.....or run 10 miles a day...........so I am looking forward to trying this preventative action again and again and again.
think you should all join in.

Jokes aside this is the finding of a recent study.
Maybe there is some truth in it..

regards

/ Coffee and Prostate Cancer #9  
I'll start by saying that I too, don't put much faith in many of these studies (check to see who pays for them)! That being said, I'm not a coffee drinker, was diagnosed with prostrate cancer before turning 52. At that time, testing age started at 50, average age for prostate cancer was 72! I give my Dr. credit for catching mine early by PSA. :thumbsup: Opted for surgery, was on hormone treatment for 1yr. & 3 months, big mistake, side effects! Found out too late (in my case) the hormone treatment was just a money maker for the Urologist! :mad: I'm not saying the hormone treatment isn't right for some, just not in my case!

It's been 8-1/2 years now, still fatigued from the low testosterone levels (plus other side effects of the hormone), but otherwise doing fine! :) ~~ grnspot

/ Coffee and Prostate Cancer #10  
.......................So the more often you take the wife's best friend out for a run the healthier your prostrate will be.
Now how true this is I don't know.....but it involves no drugs.....no pain.....no special foods or diet..........you don't have to kill yourself at a gym.....or run 10 miles a day...........so I am looking forward to trying this preventative action again and again and again.
think you should all join in.

Jokes aside this is the finding of a recent study.
Maybe there is some truth in it..

regards

Normally I don't put much stock in the medical "study of the day", but this one has me nodding in agreement. I'll need to find it on another site before I try to educate the wife about the need for increased prevention. :laughing: I don't think she'll take medical advice from a tractor forum.