Olives anybody grow them

/ Olives anybody grow them #1  

zonta223

Platinum Member
Tractor
Foton FT404, International 444 with forklift, International B250, Kubota L2000DT, Truck converted to all terrain forklift and lots of other junk
Hi
Anybody grow olives or pickle them.
Got a few trees of the eating kind as opposed to oil kind of olives...
Looking for information on pruning and generally looking after the trees.
Whats the best way to make them edible any help you can give me would be great

regards

/ Olives anybody grow them #2  
Oh yes! We have a member named Rox who grows olives in France. She is primarily involved in the production of excellent olive oils, but also has posted about preparing olives for eating.

Last edited:
   / Olives anybody grow them
Hi Thanks for the info..however the link you provided did not work....but I will search for her by name...........once again thanks for the reply

/ Olives anybody grow them #4  
Yep, the search phrase must have timed out. I tried it right after posting and it worked, but now it returns an error. Search for "rox" and "threads started by" instead of all posts.

/ Olives anybody grow them #5  
Rox's first posts were about pruning and running the tractor that came with the land they bought.

California is getting into the olive and olive oil markets. I remember finding some documents on olives put out by the state of CA. You might do a search on the Internet. I am sure you will find information.

Rox's makes some very good oil. She and her husband are winning Major Awards with their oil. I had some the other night. The kids are asking for some pasta. I think I will go make some and use Rox's oil. :thumbsup:

Later,
Dan

/ Olives anybody grow them #6  
:laughing: Just as I posted my last post, I noticed at the bottom of the page links to some of Rox's threads. Not sure you need to search for them, TBN has done it for you. :laughing:

Later,
Dan

/ Olives anybody grow them #7  
Rox's first posts were about pruning and running the tractor that came with the land they bought.

California is getting into the olive and olive oil markets. I remember finding some documents on olives put out by the state of CA. You might do a search on the Internet. I am sure you will find information.

Rox's makes some very good oil. She and her husband are winning Major Awards with their oil. I had some the other night. The kids are asking for some pasta. I think I will go make some and use Rox's oil. :thumbsup:

Later,
Dan

California has been big in olives for over 100 years. There are over 10,000 acres of olive orchards in Tehama County where I live..

The UC Davis Olive Center does world class research on olive agriculture and has a lot of publications on that subject.

Welcome — UC Davis Olive Center

/ Olives anybody grow them #8  
I am thinking of growing olives here in Texas. I have studied them allot over the last two years. Where are you, that's about 98% of the answer to growing olives. If your not in central California or central Texas its not going to happen. What questions do you have, I will do my best to answer your questions, I have read the two text books from UC Davis in California that cover olives and have visited a few orchards here in Texas, Calif and Italy, in preparation of a orchard in the Hill Country in Texas. Here are a few sites to get you started.
http://www.cooc.com/
http://www.texasoliveoilcouncil.org/
http://www.santacruzolive.com/planting.asp?page=lime

HS

/ Olives anybody grow them #9  
Olives are produced on 1-year old shoots in the presence of sunlight. Thus, production is mainly confined to a shell of new, well-lighted shoots 2-3 feet thick on the tree's periphery. Few fruits are produced in the shaded interior or within dense clumps of shoots. The most productive olives shoots are 8-12 inches long. Short or vigorous shoots are often unfruitful. An important objective of pruning is to stimulate vigorous well-lighted shoots on the tree periphery to produce the subsequent year's crop. Prune mature olive trees in spring and summer once winter rains have passed. Pruning then provides the opportunity to manage production at minimum risk of disease infection and insect attack. Pruning strategy should include developing a tree with a lobular shape when viewed from above. Such pruning increases the portion of the tree canopy that is exposed to light, providing for maximum production.

/ Olives anybody grow them #10  
Don't olive trees take a long time before they are old enough to produce a crop?