SNAKES ALIVE. Can you ID these snakes?

/ SNAKES ALIVE. Can you ID these snakes?
The northern water snakes we see here (SW Ohio) rarely exceed 24-30" and come in two flavors...mean, and pure evil. Never yet ran across one that didn't attack once I was within, oh, perhaps a mile :(.....ok, maybe more like 10', but they have always been hyper-aggressive IME.

They usually slither away when they see you but this one alone in the pic was aggressive and come after me. May have been because he was away from his element the water. I have never seen them more than a few feet away from the creek. I can live with that. I gave him some room and he went to the creek.

/ SNAKES ALIVE. Can you ID these snakes? #22  
Interesting! Never heard of Northern Water snake, I'll have to check it out. Can't say as I've ever heard of them in NH. I'll admit they're darker than our "milk snakes," but the pattern is very similar.

Interesting! Never heard of Northern Water snake, I'll have to check it out. Can't say as I've ever heard of them in NH. I'll admit they're darker than our "milk snakes," but the pattern is very similar.

Here is a link with a little more information.
Norhthern Water Snake

/ SNAKES ALIVE. Can you ID these snakes? #24  
Yep, got it. I'm thinking a lot of the snakes I've seen around here --that I thought were Milk Snakes-- were in fact Northern Water Snakes. And yeah, from what I remember, they had a nasty disposition. I did read how they will also shake their tails like a rattler.

Learn sumpn' new ev'ry day! Amazing site, TBN!:thumbsup:

Yep, got it. I'm thinking a lot of the snakes I've seen around here --that I thought were Milk Snakes-- were in fact Northern Water Snakes. And yeah, from what I remember, they had a nasty disposition. I did read how they will also shake their tails like a rattler.

Learn sumpn' new ev'ry day! Amazing site, TBN!:thumbsup:

Keep in mind most of the time the pattern on the water snakes is much more subdued. Right after they shed their pattern is real noticeable.:thumbsup: