Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    New Holland TC-45

Default Re: COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by bullbreaker View Post
    No Sir but thats a good question. McClellan saddle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also never had a desire or thought to ride sidesaddle thank the good Lord !

Boone
    Never road side saddle - maybe at the end of a long day & 1 leg hooked over the saddle horn, or just plain old sitting side ways.

We had quite a few saddles. And several McCellan saddles. Me being low man on the totem pole, when the good saddles were gone - Guess what I got??? The most uncomfortable saddle you can a man could dream up. Guaranteed to make you sore fairly soon. No matter how much you had been riding.
    ::"I STARTED out with nothing....I still have most of it."

New Holland TC45 1,300+ hours - FEL - back hoe - post hole digger - Hydraulic Gannon - cement mixer - pressure washer - 1975 Dodge 500 flat bed - 1974 chevy C65 6 yard dump truck.
    All home made by me. loading forks - 2 drags - roller - Sheep's Foot - Pusher (to unload flat bed truck.) - pickle fork digger - Log splitter -

Tractor
    Kubota L3400 DT,John Deere GT 235,JD GENERATOR AC-G8010S-E

2 CHRONICLES 7 : 14 (KJV)

Tractor
    Kubota L3400 DT,John Deere GT 235,JD GENERATOR AC-G8010S-E

He rode for The Real Brand. Harris, Robert E. (Rev)

Boone
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -4391338-jpg   -img_2868-jpg  
    2 CHRONICLES 7 : 14 (KJV)

Tractor
    New Holland TC-45

Here are some spurs that I have laying around.
    2 on the left are common everyday use. Shinny 1's fairly new. Other pair old & hand made.
    Really long 1 is old style "Spanish".
    Other 3 are "Mexican" style, still in use at this time.

-spurs-jpg

New Holland TC45 1,300+ hours - FEL - back hoe - post hole digger - Hydraulic Gannon - cement mixer - pressure washer - 1975 Dodge 500 flat bed - 1974 chevy C65 6 yard dump truck.
    All home made by me. loading forks - 2 drags - roller - Sheep's Foot - Pusher (to unload flat bed truck.) - pickle fork digger - Log splitter -

Tractor
    John Deere LX172

Quote Originally Posted by crash325 View Post
    Never road side saddle - maybe at the end of a long day & 1 leg hooked over the saddle horn, or just plain old sitting side ways.

We had quite a few saddles. And several McCellan saddles. Me being low man on the totem pole, when the good saddles were gone - Guess what I got??? The most uncomfortable saddle you can a man could dream up. Guaranteed to make you sore fairly soon. No matter how much you had been riding.
    I thought only women and gay caballeros ride sidesaddle.
    Have Wings, Will Travel.

Tractor
    New Holland TC-45

Quote Originally Posted by 2LaneCruzer View Post
    I thought only women and gay caballeros ride sidesaddle.
    For the uninformed the "McCellan" saddle was the US Army saddle. And may still be used by them. Maybe designed to keep soldiers awake on long rides.

On long rides often starting before daylight, sitting sideways or even backwards now & then was a relief.

Tractor
    Kubota 7510 and B3200

Quote Originally Posted by RDrancher View Post
    I don't claim to be a cowboy, but I do know a few. One is still in his twenties and was born at the infamous Cauble Ranch. He's the most natural horseman I've ever seen.
    A lot of folks may not be up on the infamous Rex Cauble. I have been to the barn on I35 in the 80's. I have an uncle that rode cutting horses on the Cauble ranch outside of Crockett. Cauble was in trouble with the law for financing yachts to run drugs in back then. If I remember correctly he owned in the neighborhood of 20 something ranches in the Denton area at one time.
    Caution: Some of my posts may be politically incorrect.
    Kubota B7510 & B3200

Tractor
    yanmar 186D....JD LT180....DR Brush Cutter

Not a cowboy but I do restore horse drawn vehicles.....here's a 1895 Studebaker Buggy.

-jbcarriagepix-011-jpg
    I Intend to Live Forever.....So Far....So Good!

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
    Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Tractor
    Kubota 7510 and B3200

Did ya know that the Texas Lt Governor David Dewhurst is an inductee to the Cowboy's Hall of Fame circa 2009. Seems he is somewhat of a good cuttn' horse rider. David Dewhurst earns his spurs | Trail Blazers Blog

Luis Pearce, Jr. passed this past December. Another Texas Cowboy Hall of Fame inductee and all around good cowboy Sally Harrison痴 Blog サ Blog Archive サ Louis M. Pearce Jr., 1917-2012

R.E. Bob Smith was a Texas oilman and rancher of some fame. He was a huge part of the Humble Oil Field in Humble,TX and part owner of Esso that later became Exxon. One of my uncles was employed by the Smith ranch empire as a cowboy for 40 years. I remember riding with him many a long hot summer day herding cows into chutes for working. Some of those days was during the time the blow fly was exterminated in Texas. My uncle and partner would ride the ranch checking for blow flies. When a wound was found he promptly roped the cow and applied medicine on the spot. On one occasion he laid a loop on the racks of a 6 point buck. But that is another story.

The uncle won favor with the Smith's by training a champion cutting horse that placed 1st in the Houston Fat Stock Show cutting in the 70's. Another of Smith's ventures included the development of the Houston Domed Stadium (Astrodome) and financially backed bringing the Colt 45's to Houston. Now called the Astros.
    Caution: Some of my posts may be politically incorrect.
    Kubota B7510 & B3200

Tractor
    Mahindra 5010

Really enjoying the thread. Thanks for bringing back up for those just getting here!

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast