COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures

/ COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures
No Sir but thats a good question. McClellan saddle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also never had a desire or thought to ride sidesaddle thank the good Lord ! :laughing:

Boone

Never road side saddle - maybe at the end of a long day & 1 leg hooked over the saddle horn, or just plain old sitting side ways.

We had quite a few saddles. And several McCellan saddles. Me being low man on the totem pole, when the good saddles were gone - Guess what I got??? The most uncomfortable saddle you can a man could dream up. Guaranteed to make you sore fairly soon. No matter how much you had been riding.

/ COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #123  

Attachments

• 4391338.jpg
    4391338.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_2868.JPG
    IMG_2868.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 124
Here are some spurs that I have laying around.
2 on the left are common everyday use. Shinny 1's fairly new. Other pair old & hand made.
Really long 1 is old style "Spanish".
Other 3 are "Mexican" style, still in use at this time.

spurs.jpg

/ COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #125  
Never road side saddle - maybe at the end of a long day & 1 leg hooked over the saddle horn, or just plain old sitting side ways.

We had quite a few saddles. And several McCellan saddles. Me being low man on the totem pole, when the good saddles were gone - Guess what I got??? The most uncomfortable saddle you can a man could dream up. Guaranteed to make you sore fairly soon. No matter how much you had been riding.

I thought only women and gay caballeros ride sidesaddle.

I thought only women and gay caballeros ride sidesaddle.

For the uninformed the "McCellan" saddle was the US Army saddle. And may still be used by them. Maybe designed to keep soldiers awake on long rides.

On long rides often starting before daylight, sitting sideways or even backwards now & then was a relief.

/ COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #127  
I don't claim to be a cowboy, but I do know a few. One is still in his twenties and was born at the infamous Cauble Ranch. He's the most natural horseman I've ever seen.

A lot of folks may not be up on the infamous Rex Cauble. I have been to the barn on I35 in the 80's. I have an uncle that rode cutting horses on the Cauble ranch outside of Crockett. Cauble was in trouble with the law for financing yachts to run drugs in back then. If I remember correctly he owned in the neighborhood of 20 something ranches in the Denton area at one time.

/ COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #128  
Not a cowboy but I do restore horse drawn vehicles.....here's a 1895 Studebaker Buggy.

View attachment 296515

/ COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #129  
Did ya know that the Texas Lt Governor David Dewhurst is an inductee to the Cowboy's Hall of Fame circa 2009. Seems he is somewhat of a good cuttn' horse rider. David Dewhurst earns his spurs | Trail Blazers Blog

Luis Pearce, Jr. passed this past December. Another Texas Cowboy Hall of Fame inductee and all around good cowboy Sally Harrison痴 Blog サ Blog Archive サ Louis M. Pearce Jr., 1917-2012

R.E. Bob Smith was a Texas oilman and rancher of some fame. He was a huge part of the Humble Oil Field in Humble,TX and part owner of Esso that later became Exxon. One of my uncles was employed by the Smith ranch empire as a cowboy for 40 years. I remember riding with him many a long hot summer day herding cows into chutes for working. Some of those days was during the time the blow fly was exterminated in Texas. My uncle and partner would ride the ranch checking for blow flies. When a wound was found he promptly roped the cow and applied medicine on the spot. On one occasion he laid a loop on the racks of a 6 point buck. But that is another story.

The uncle won favor with the Smith's by training a champion cutting horse that placed 1st in the Houston Fat Stock Show cutting in the 70's. Another of Smith's ventures included the development of the Houston Domed Stadium (Astrodome) and financially backed bringing the Colt 45's to Houston. Now called the Astros.

/ COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #130  
Really enjoying the thread. Thanks for bringing back up for those just getting here!