COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures

/ COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures
Jim.....if you ever find those pictures....would love to see them. The one in the picture is in our museum collection, recently did some minor wheel repair on this coach. It was bought many years ago at an East coast auction. We believe it could have been built by Holland and Holland in England. Very valuable piece since the original mail coaches took so much abuse.....they only stayed in service for 3 to 5 years. This coach has a very interesting spring system called a Telegraph Combination....very heavy duty to support all the weight. Also had a special designed 3 bolt hub for the same reason.
Enjoy.....

Here are some more pictures of grandads first Stage Coach. No dates on the pictures. 40's or 50'. It was several years old as can be seen by the rotted & ripped canvas on the back luggage rack. Pictures 1 & 2 in the front yard in tombstone. Picture with only 2 horses was Nov. 1930. No date for the Benson parade pic.
G dad Coach Tomb A.jpg - S coach rear A.jpg - S Coach benson A.jpg - S tage C 1a.jpg

Cowboy entertainment

tender foot A.jpg

/ COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #143  
Here are some more pictures of grandads first Stage Coach. No dates on the pictures. 40's or 50'. It was several years old as can be seen by the rotted & ripped canvas on the back luggage rack. Pictures 1 & 2 in the front yard in tombstone. Picture with only 2 horses was Nov. 1930. No date for the Benson parade pic.
View attachment 296802 - View attachment 296803 - View attachment 296804 - View attachment 296805

Great pictures of the stagecoach Jim.....thanks for sharing. The stagecoach was supported by "thoroughbraces", which were the leather straps supporting the coach. These straps acted as shock absorbers. The passenger compartment was called a "coupe", a term passed on to cars. These stage coaches traveled at the amazing speed of 4 to 7 mph.....it took awhile to get to your destination and the inside passengers were subject to motion sickness and a bit of dust. Pretty tough ride at times. Hope to restore a stagecoach one day. Interesting sidenote.....the John Wayne movie "Stagecoach" was filmed in 1939 and scenes were shot in Ariz.,Calif. and Utah. Were your grandfather's coaches ever in the movies??
Thanks again for sharing.

Great pictures of the stagecoach Jim.....thanks for sharing. The stagecoach was supported by "thoroughbraces", which were the leather straps supporting the coach. These straps acted as shock absorbers. The passenger compartment was called a "coupe", a term passed on to cars. These stage coaches traveled at the amazing speed of 4 to 7 mph.....it took awhile to get to your destination and the inside passengers were subject to motion sickness and a bit of dust. Pretty tough ride at times. Hope to restore a stagecoach one day. Interesting sidenote.....the John Wayne movie "Stagecoach" was filmed in 1939 and scenes were shot in Ariz.,Calif. and Utah. Were your grandfather's coaches ever in the movies??

Hi Jerry,
Not sure if they were ever used in movies. One was sent to NYC for a parade, on a train. They flew Grandad back there to drive it. He and the coach were in parade (s) in LA Cal.

He was in quite a few movies ( member of the screen actors guild ), mostly as a wagon driver. A friend "Ben Ward" furnished livestock for most movies in this area. One movie near Fort Huchua, my little sister still in high school went out see what was going on. Ben had a bunch sheep in it. They came around needing a Sheep Herder, Grandad volunteered her for the job. She knew almost zero about sheep & tried to say something. Grandad laughed & told her what to do.

I think earlier in this thread I posted some pictures of wagon wheels being rebuilt.

More later - have Fun
Jim

Here is a news paper article about Mrs. Healy. She & Major Healy owned this ranch. I worked there, she & I did about 99% of the work. the Major spent his time being a "Major Retired".

The story (I know its hard to read, best I could do with my small scanner.) is full of in accuracies. I'm the "Little boy - Bobby". I was 14 at the time and was called "Buddy". The rifle she was cleaning was an old octagon barrel 30/30 that she never used. Her rifle was a 30-06. Picture of lion in a tree was one of our family photos and may or may not have been taken on the Healy ranch.

The day we caught the lion cub, it did not bite her in the hand, it put its front teeth through her thumb nail. We did not ride to the Army base (Fort Huchua). We went back to the ranch house 5 or 6 miles. By about the third day she was hand feeding the cub while he laid in her lap. and letting him run loose on a inclosed screen porch. When sold the Major charged us for the meat he was fed. :laughing:

If we had gone back the next day we could have caught his litter mate. When dad (Clell Lee) got back he rode back out there and got it, dead. We sold the live 1 for $150, dad got $75 for the dead one.

Healy 1 A.jpg - Healy 2 A.jpg - healy 3 A.jpg

I didn't realize the ranch covered 6000 acres either. It covered all of Carr Canyon, upper end of Ramsey Canyon, up to the top of the mountain, around behind Carr peak, down to and across the high way. I think they ran less than 100 permanent cows and Mrs. Healy had almost every one named.

More later,
Jim

/ COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #146  
Hi Jerry,
Not sure if they were ever used in movies. One was sent to NYC for a parade, on a train. They flew Grandad back there to drive it. He and the coach were in parade (s) in LA Cal.

He was in quite a few movies ( member of the screen actors guild ), mostly as a wagon driver. A friend "Ben Ward" furnished livestock for most movies in this area. One movie near Fort Huchua, my little sister still in high school went out see what was going on. Ben had a bunch sheep in it. They came around needing a Sheep Herder, Grandad volunteered her for the job. She knew almost zero about sheep & tried to say something. Grandad laughed & told her what to do.

I think earlier in this thread I posted some pictures of wagon wheels being rebuilt.

More later - have Fun
Jim

Great info. Jim........really interesting that your grandad was in the movies. We've got a few original vehicles, hearse and Shelburne Landau, once owned by a movie ranch called Hudkins Bros. in LA. Also have a C-Spring Victoria and a Landaulette once owned by 20th century Fox. We've been able to trace these vehicles to several movies and have actually seen them in some scenes. Thanks for sharing.

/ COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #147  
Here is a news paper article about Mrs. Healy. She & Major Healy owned this ranch. I worked there, she & I did about 99% of the work. the Major spent his time being a "Major Retired".

The story (I know its hard to read, best I could do with my small scanner.) is full of in accuracies. I'm the "Little boy - Bobby". I was 14 at the time and was called "Buddy". The rifle she was cleaning was an old octagon barrel 30/30 that she never used. Her rifle was a 30-06. Picture of lion in a tree was one of our family photos and may or may not have been taken on the Healy ranch.

The day we caught the lion cub, it did not bite her in the hand, it put its front teeth through her thumb nail. We did not ride to the Army base (Fort Huchua). We went back to the ranch house 5 or 6 miles. By about the third day she was hand feeding the cub while he laid in her lap. and letting him run loose on a inclosed screen porch. When sold the Major charged us for the meat he was fed. :laughing:

If we had gone back the next day we could have caught his litter mate. When dad (Clell Lee) got back he rode back out there and got it, dead. We sold the live 1 for $150, dad got $75 for the dead one.

View attachment 296990 - View attachment 296991 - View attachment 296992

I didn't realize the ranch covered 6000 acres either. It covered all of Carr Canyon, upper end of Ramsey Canyon, up to the top of the mountain, around behind Carr peak, down to and across the high way. I think they ran less than 100 permanent cows and Mrs. Healy had almost every one named.

More later,
Jim

Great story Jim.....keep em coming.

Me as a kid. first pic 1942, next 1943, 1946, last one 1940

Bud Clell 1942.jpg - buddy 1943-44.jpg - buddy 1946.jpg - me & mom feb 1940.jpg

/ COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #150  

I don't know much about Stage coaches but I grew up with a picture of the Modoc stage on the wall.

It finished its use full life making the run from Tombstone to Benson AZ.

Pretty interesting story if do a Google search.

---J