COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures

/ COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #11  
RoyHarrisLutherHawleyBeecherBrunton.jpg

Here are some Kansas "Cattlemen". These are the guys who furnished some of my entertainment when I was a youngster. They would sit on the bench in front of the beer joint and tell horse stories. One of the stories I remember quite well was about the Texas "cowboys". They said if you give those "cowboys" an enema, you could bury them in a matchbox.

/ COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #12  
I like the caption in the first photo... only half the men were identified but all the hounds were introduced :thumbsup:

/ COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #13  
Now, I don't claim to be a cowboy, but DW (Dear Wife) did take a nice picture.
I am the silhouette in the breezeway.

Attachments

• MARK5.JPG
    MARK5.JPG
    309.4 KB · Views: 519
   / COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #14  
Jim,
Thanks for starting this awesome thread.

Here are a few photos of a real Texas COWBOY, my Dad, when he was about 17. Which dates these photos around 1938 in the Texas Panhandle.

Grandpa worked as a ranch hand along side Will Rogers before Will left for fame and fortune. Grandpa won the farm (it was a ranch also, as they raised crops and critters) in a poker game. But we called it simply.........."The farm".

Dad got called into the principal's office in high school because he stunk. The principal told Dad to run his trap line after school. You see, he ran the line in the morning before school and caught one of those black and white critters. I still got some of those traps.

The first photo shows Dad wearing his normal everyday clothes. Notice the pearl handle revolver on his hip. He is with one of his numerous horses and one of their many greyhounds.

They used the greyhounds to run coyotes. They raised a few hundred turkeys at a time, so the greyhounds were always fit with numerous coyotes lurking in the shadows.

The second photo shows Dad in the barnyard wearing his leather jacket with the two story barn behind him.

The third photo shows Dad with one of their cows near the neighbors house, which was about 3/4 mile from their farmhouse.

I learned a lot of good stories listening while my Dad and his brothers and my grandpa played 42. Now those was good times.
hugs, Brandi

Attachments

• M.C.jpg
    M.C.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 447
  • Cowboy M  C.jpg
    Cowboy M C.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 457
  • Cowboy M.C. with Bossy near Brown house.jpg
    Cowboy M.C. with Bossy near Brown house.jpg
    447.1 KB · Views: 448
Last edited:
   / COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures
Hi Brandi & All
Glad the you folks are having fun with the thread. Nice to remember old times.

Thanks for the pictures Brandi. Hope some of the others break out a few.

The chaps your dad was wearing reminded me that Grand Dad was in the 釘uffalo Bill show for a few years. He was on both tours in England and Europe. In the show he rode saddle bronc and Buffalo. Use to have a picture of him on a buffalo wearing chaps like those.

One or both of my sisters has the old family albums. If I can pry them loose, hope to scan a lot more.

Attachments

• Grandma grandad 1942.jpg
    Grandma grandad 1942.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 355
  • diamond rock.jpg
    diamond rock.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 366
   / COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #16  
Hi Brandi & All
Glad the you folks are having fun with the thread. Nice to remember old times.

Thanks for the pictures Brandi. Hope some of the others break out a few.

The chaps your dad was wearing reminded me that Grand Dad was in the 釘uffalo Bill show for a few years. He was on both tours in England and Europe. In the show he rode saddle bronc and Buffalo. Use to have a picture of him on a buffalo wearing chaps like those.

One or both of my sisters has the old family albums. If I can pry them loose, hope to scan a lot more.

Jim,
What part of the state is White Mountains in?
hugs, Brandi

Jim,
What part of the state is White Mountains in?
hugs, Brandi

The 展hite Mountains are in the north east part of AZ. Clifton on the south end where they start off very dry. As you go north they get wetter and nicer. Dads place ran from (Gov. Land) part ways down the west side to Blue River, almost in NM. Beautiful part of the world, huge open meadows that in the evenings you could watch the Elk come in a graze.

The big fire this spring was on the very north end and took out some small towns as well as real pretty forest.

The mule race I told about was from KP Senica over the top down to Eagle Creek.

We (The family - dad, mom, uncle Dale, and his wife.) Several months in Dulce NM, guiding dudes and hunting bear. Mom, Lois, my buddy and I went swimming & fishing a little ways out of town. As we were leaving just before dark, a big old bear was walking across the hill. He was less than 100 yards off the road.

Clell , Dale & the dudes were camped out in a little adobe shack way out on the reservation. Mom though they would like to know about the bear and where it was. The cow trail that served as a road was a little muddy and it was one black night. But off we went in moms 1935 Buick sedan.

After about 2 hours the camp was found, everyone had gone to bed except Uncle Dale. He got dad up and mom told them about the bear. Both of them kind of Ho Hummed and said something like. We'll go look in a few days. Mom could carry a mad longer than most anyone I've ever known. Years later when the story was brought up, she would get mad all over again.

Sure enough in a few days (4 or 5) they moved camp over to where we had seen the bear. The first or second day they hunted that area they got the bear. This must have been a high dollar hunt as they had a real cook in camp. He cooked up some of the best bear steaks you ever ate.

Will let the pictures tell the rest of the story. Though I had more pictures.

Attachments

• bud Bear dulce.jpg
    bud Bear dulce.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 381
  • bud Lois Poochie.jpg
    bud Lois Poochie.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 320
   / COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #19  
Jim Since your from the area of Gila Cliff N.Mex. Do you have any infirmation on the Rancher was killed in El Paso about 1935/38 . He had a ranch that the head quarters was at Cliff. and was 40 X 60 miles in size went all most to Duncan Ariz. along the river valley.

I have over the years attempted to get this information and there is a book now out of print on the ranch. I have read but misplaced the information.

Hope the thread keeps going some one could write a book on the information.
ken

Jim Since your from the area of Gila Cliff N.Mex. Do you have any infirmation on the Rancher was killed in El Paso about 1935/38 . He had a ranch that the head quarters was at Cliff. and was 40 X 60 miles in size went all most to Duncan Ariz. along the river valley.

I have over the years attempted to get this information and there is a book now out of print on the ranch. I have read but misplaced the information.

Hope the thread keeps going some one could write a book on the information.
ken

Hi Ken,
I will ask my brother in law and sister, good chance they will know. He was born and raised in Cliff. My sister worked for PD and they (I think, their land was part of it.) His mother still lives in Cliff, she also might know.

PD bought up almost all of the Gila river, all they wanted was the water rights. But were forced to go into the AG business. The raised a little hay and ran cattle on some of the land. My sister was the "cow namer" and I think "cow head counter".

Speaking of books there is a book on "Lee's Ferry" it has a whole chapter on my Grand Father "Sid Wilson". The author made several trips to mom's place and got a lot of pictures from her.

More later,
Jim