COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures

/ COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #31  
Originally Posted by bullbreaker
Scott :I've heard that line since I was a boy,and to this day still makes me smile.
Good way to start a brawl on a boring day !
Might as well tell them they ride side saddle while your at it ! Boone

The largest cattle ranch in the country is in Florida. There was cattle here first.........

Robert I don't get it :You quoted one of my comments and followed it up with your comment.When mine had nothing to do with your statement.
No big deal though.

However there is a good possibility cattle where here first :
Cattle and Cowboys in Florida

As far as largest cattle ranch in US, I woud'nt know :
Is that measured by largest peice of land with cattle on it or most cattle on one ranch ?
If someone googles it,it seems like Fla vs Texas have bragging rights.
BTW: I'am from FLA.

Boone

/ COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #32  
... However there is a good possibility cattle where here first :
Cattle and Cowboys in Florida

As far as largest cattle ranch in US, I woud'nt know :
Is that measured by largest peice of land with cattle on it or most cattle on one ranch ?
If someone googles it,it seems like Fla vs Texas have bragging rights.
BTW: I'am from FLA.

Boone

How 'bout we go on cows-per-acre?!!

TX is 268,581 square miles
FL is 65,755 square miles

So, TX has to have over 4 times the # of FL cows to win this one! :laughing:

And maybe they do, I dunno :confused2:

/ COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #33  
How 'bout we go on cows-per-acre?!!

TX is 268,581 square miles
FL is 65,755 square miles

So, TX has to have over 4 times the # of FL cows to win this one! :laughing:

And maybe they do, I dunno :confused2:

Sounds good cows not CALFS-per-acre!!!!!!:D

/ COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures
King Ranch is the largest ranch in the US(825,000acre &with 60,000head)would be in TEXAS:D

There is a old thread on the Biggest Ranch. It went on for months. Go read it. No need to rehash it here.

How about some of you folks telling a few stories and posting some pictures.

/ COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #35  
There is a old thread on the Biggest Ranch. It went on for months. Go read it. No need to rehash it here.

How about some of you folks telling a few stories and posting some pictures.

Whatever its not like I made the first comment......

/ COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #36  
Okay Jim,
Here are two short stories on Dad's rifle. The photo is of Dad's Winchester Model 62. He got it when he turned 16. That was 1937. It shoots 22 shorts, longs, and long rifles. The taped stock happened when Dad was runnin' a trap line on a cold snowy morning. His horse was spooked by a jackrabbit and took off..........down the creek bank. Dad thought this was all fine and gave her her rein. Until he remembered the creek was frozen.

When his horse hit the ice, her feet went out from under her and down they went. Luckily the ice held. But Dad went under the horse and the saddle horn broke his arm. He still had bone fragments until his death.

Anyway, the rifle stock caught between Dad's arm and the saddle horn somehow and cracked.

When Dad got his arm healed enough, he wrapped medical tape on the stock and it is there today.

Each year when we went on vacation, we went back to Dad's homeplace to visit Grandma and Grandpa. Dad had left the 22 with Grandpa because at the time, Grandpa still used it. We only got to use that Winchester on the farm once a year.

Dad's younger brother, Woody, lived in town and had taken the 22 to town for unknown reason. Woody had a hand made boot shop, which has stories also. My brother and I fetched the rifle back to the farm as my brother could drive then. That is when my brother and I saw the front sight was off to the right.

When Dad saw the rifle he asked Grandpa what happened to the front sight. Grandpa mumbled something about Woody. So Dad asked Woody that night over a game of 42. Woody chucked and was grinning and his blue eyes just a twinkling the whole time while telling us about his self and so and so out plinking and they got the barrel full of dirt, so they decided to cut the barrel shorter. They had to hand hold the front sight in place upon "reinstallation" and got it off to the right of center of the barrel. So now it shoots to the left!

Needles to say, Dad said it was time for the rifle to come home with us. By then Grandpa had a .243 to harass coyotes.

I have it now and it is my most prized possession. I keep it loaded with 14 Remington long rifles, so it can pump out lead when needed. I put a box or two through every once in a while just for grins.
hugs, Brandi

Attachments

• Dad's Winchester.jpg
    Dad's Winchester.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
   / COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #37  
MS.BRANDI
Thank You for story and pic, really enjoyed it ! :thumbsup:

Boone

/ COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #38  
MS.BRANDI
Thank You for story and pic, really enjoyed it ! :thumbsup:

Boone

Boone,
Thanks.:) If you ever get to Texas, I may let you shoot it.;)
hugs, Brandi

/ COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #40  
Jim Since your from the area of Gila Cliff N.Mex. Do you have any infirmation on the Rancher was killed in El Paso about 1935/38 . He had a ranch that the head quarters was at Cliff. and was 40 X 60 miles in size went all most to Duncan Ariz. along the river valley.

I have over the years attempted to get this information and there is a book now out of print on the ranch. I have read but misplaced the information.

Hope the thread keeps going some one could write a book on the information.
ken

That's 1.5 million acres down in the Gila country. Never heard of a ranch that size down there. Some of them are big, but not THAT big.