COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures

/ COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #51  
My father ranched, but mainly outfitted and guided in Northern NM many years ago; he's since deceased. There was always a string of horses and mules around ready to take the clients out. Occasionally he would butcher and process a mule or horse that had died or one that he had to finish off. He used them as dogfood for his pack of hunting dogs. This was back in the early '60s before processed dog food was as predominant as it is today. He always kept a pack of 10 - 15 Bluetick hounds on the place for lion and bear hunting.

One time he had a horse hung up in a tree and had just started to skin it. Three of his paying customers arriving early for a outfitted lion hunt beginning the next day came down the trail behind the barn and corral and saw him skinning out that horse and got really upset. They thought he was getting their supper ready!

His standard retort whenever anyone ever asked him what to bring for an upcoming hunt or even to visit him was always either... "bring dogfood" or "bring whiskey."

/ COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #52  
Shortly after the Civil War, my great-great grandfather packed up his family and moved from Neshoba County, MS to the Sabine Free State area of what is now western Louisiana. I'm the fifth generation living on the land that he bought from the railroad. We moved in with my grandfather when I was 7 years old. I grew up on this farm. We farmed and raised cattle mostly, but also had all kinds of other "critters," including hogs, chickens and goats. I can still remember when this area was still "open range" and our cattle were all over the woods. We had three separate feeding areas, and it was my job to take hay to the cattle. (along with a little help from Papaw) My dad worked away and was only home on weekends, so I was the "man of the house" during the week. Of necessity, I learned how to operate the tractors (a Farmall Super A and a JD model B), as well as working on them, and drive Papaw's old truck.
As a teenager, I never thought I'd still be living here and loving it like I do. It's a good place to live and raise a family. :)

/ COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #53  
Sounded Romantic to me. :laughing::D:thumbsup:

Now that you are started, lets hear another story or 2. :)

Jim,
Yeah, he sounds romantic to me also. :confused3:;) Whatever you do, don't encourage him.:D
hugs, Brandi

Last edited:
   / COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #54  
Just remember "Cupid" shoots a bow also ! ;)

Boone

Yeah, I know.:rolleyes: I'll just have to keep Booger real close to me.:laughing:
I know he will protect me and take a hit for me.;)
hugs, Brandi

/ COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #55  
Well I dont have any old pictures Grandpa was long gone before I was born and my dad was killed by a drunk driver when I was 8 but would like to share a picture of my little COWBOY 748_4.JPG

/ COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #56  
Well I dont have any old pictures Grandpa was long gone before I was born and my dad was killed by a drunk driver when I was 8 but would like to share a picture of my little COWBOYView attachment 226153
He is a little cutie.;)
Somewhere I have buried photos of me getting a bath in a number 2 washtub. Gotta go dig those up.
hugs, Brandi

Last edited:
   / COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #57  
Somewhere I have buried photos of me getting a bath in a number 2 washtub. Gotta go dig those up.
hugs, Brandi

He will be in the Horse trough before long....

/ COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures
Another "Sammy" story.

In the 50's Sammy rode out from the Sierra Vista area of AZ. He rode east. When riding out he had a pack horse, a dog and 10 cents in his pocket. I forget how far he went. But a year & half to 2 years later he rode into my dad's place on Blue River in northern AZ. He still had his horse, pack horse, dog and his 10 cents.

Sammy was a good hand. Good with cattle, horses, mules and hounds. A good worker and willing to do most anything that needed done. Dad kept him on for several years. But Sammy had problem with booze, when he got close to it, he didn't quit till it was all gone.

Dad didn't drink and had a problem with those that did. Sammy was good enough and booze hard enough to get that dad kept him on for several years.

When dad finely ran him off he wound up a Grand dad's place down by Tombstone.

More Later.

Blue Tick Hounds: My uncle Ernest got the breed started in Tucson. Think there was a couple of other guys involved, but don't remember them. My dad "Clell Lee" pretty much took over the breeding & such. Read one of my early posts. In the 50's, 60's and maybe into the 70's adds in hunting magazines would mention "Lee Strain".

/ COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #59  
hugs, Brandi

Please do: they'll have to do, till I can make it to Texas . :laughing:
But can you "pm" them to me I don't like sharing my tractor equipment ! ;)

Boone

/ COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #60  
Well I dont have any old pictures Grandpa was long gone before I was born and my dad was killed by a drunk driver when I was 8 but would like to share a picture of my little COWBOYView attachment 226153

James thanks for sharing that pic of your "COWBOY" !
Your DAD'S gotta be "smiling" and gleaming with pride from HEAVEN over that young man(your son).

Boone