COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures

/ COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #71  
I bet you got the first one Brandi, on the 2nd I forgot the rocking part what do you think the + is so maybe the rocking cross I

Rick

Rick,
I am not sure. I have not been around brands and branding irons in years. I think my cousin had a book on brands.

My Uncle Woody's brand was the shape of a boot with a W in it. He owned a boot shop. He made hand made boots up in the Panhandle and had a big following. One of his customers was Dan Blocker's (Hoss on Bonanza) FIL. Hoss married a Cherokee maiden over in OK. and the FIL bought Hoss a pair.
For years, the boot shop was in Higgins, Texas and the last few years he ran it, he moved it to Canadian, Texas.
Here is a photo of my son on a saddle in the boot shop
hugs, Brandi

Attachments

• Luke in Uncle Woody's Boot Shop.jpg
    Luke in Uncle Woody's Boot Shop.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 182
   / COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures
JnJ and rocking I over Lazy A
hug, Brandi

Hi Brandi,
Thanks for trying. Pretty Close, but no cigar. :laughing:

Hint the "(" on the bottom if connected its a rocker. It's not connected.

J n J is pretty good and could be right. I like to call it J lazy J. But even that is not correct. Lazy is a letter on its back. a "j" laying on its face becomes something else.

Another hint. There use to be a "Hay ?" ranch.

Hope you folks are having fun. :thumbsup:

/ COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #74  
J and Son Over Cross Quarter Circle I Over Lazy A
Or
J and Son Crossing Quarter Circle I Over Lazy A
hugs, Brandi

/ COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #75  
My great-great uncle was a man named Barney Riggs. Uncle Barney was always quick to pull his gun. He died a fairly well-known gunfighter. Uncle Barney was shot and killed by his son-in-law in 1902 while in a drunken rage. Family lore has him killing 18 men in his 46 years on this earth. The history books have him down for anywhere from 9 - 12 killings.

Most of the rest of the following account is taken from a website in Fort Stockton where Uncle Barney is buried.

After Uncle Barney had returned from a cattle-buying trip in Texas, he came home (to Arizona) in September, 1886 to rumors that his wife had been having an affair with another man named Hudson. When Uncle Barney approached Hudson, the other man denied the story and Barney let it pass. However, just a few days later, Hudson was heard to have boasted of his seduction of Vennie Riggs, Uncle Barney's wife. On September 29, 1886, Hudson was shot and killed by an unseen gunman.

However, the ongoing dispute between Uncle Barney and Hudson was well known and Uncle Barney was the prime suspect. When a $250 reward was offered for Uncle Barney's capture, he took off into the mountains. Soon, Fred Dodge, a lawman in Tombstone, went after Uncle Barney. Working with Deputy Sheriff Charley Smith, the two set up a surveillance overlooking the Riggs Ranch. After they spied a rider signaling Vennie Riggs from a hill overlooking the ranch, they captured the couple and took them to Tombstone.

Vennie was soon released but Barney was held for trial. During the first trial held on November 11, 1886, the jury could not reach an agreement, as several of them held that killing a man for making sexual advances on his wife was justified. A mistrial was declared and a second trial began the next month. This time Uncle Barney was not as lucky as the jury could not condone an ambush murder. On December 31st he was convicted of murder and sentenced to life at the Arizona Territorial Prison in Yuma.

However, in October, 1887, when prison warden, Thomas Gates, was jumped by seven convicts in an escape attempt, his life was saved by Uncle Barney. Somehow, the convicts had obtained guns and when the attack occurred, a general melee broke out. The prison gates were closed but, as one of the convicts used Gates as a shield, Uncle Barney snatched a gun from another escapee, and killed the convict holding Gates. Uncle Barney's bravery won him a pardon and he was released on December 31, 1887, just one year after his conviction.

Uncle Barney alway liked to say that he went to prison for killing a man and he got out for killing a man.

Guess if I make more brands, I'll have to do a little better job.

First brand is mine. I like J lazy J, but it should be read "J hook".

Second is read "Cross I, Quarter Circle" That was Charlie Kendal from out near Gleason.

Lazy A that you folks all got was my dad's brand.

Sure hope you all had fun.
Jim

Branding Irons & Running Irons.
People have been shot when caught with a running iron. I think they have been illegel since forever.

When I was young, no one I knew had a Branding or Stamping Iron. Everyone used running irons. Grand dad had a whole tree full of them. must have been a dozen or more.

With a corral full of calves and mother cows, the calve was identified as to the owner by the mother cow.

In those days you could have 3 or 4 different ranches with cattle in the corral.

A quick brand was Run On, a quick cut if needed, de-horn and sear with a running iron, and an ear mark. If memory is correct it all took less than a minuet. 3 People working.

good reading Boon,
Thanks for posting.
Reminded me of things that I had forgotten. A few were missed that I still need to figure out.