Old abandoned Ford Tractor dealership

/ Old abandoned Ford Tractor dealership #1  

sweep

Gold Member
Tractor
2006 TC45A
Down in the hollars of W.Va. Pretty neat. Neat old Ford Tractors porcelin sign. Would have liked to go through it but didn't want to get shot.

The still in use general store near it was neat also. Looked like right out of the Waltons.

Attachments

• fordbuilding.JPG
    fordbuilding.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 2,328
  • generalstore.JPG
    generalstore.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 1,126
   / Old abandoned Ford Tractor dealership #2  
Looks like the remains of a gravity feed gas pump on the store porch. That's Americana at it's best.

/ Old abandoned Ford Tractor dealership #3  
Sweep, those are great pictures. Great examples of how America used to be and sometimes I wish we could go back there.

/ Old abandoned Ford Tractor dealership #4  
That Ford tractor sign is cool and would look good in my shed:D.

/ Old abandoned Ford Tractor dealership #5  
Well it is someone's property and the stuff in it or in it is someone's, too. If it was mine and I caught someone trespassing and maybe even helping themselves to my stuff, there would only be a one sided conversation.

/ Old abandoned Ford Tractor dealership
Sweep, those are great pictures. Great examples of how America used to be and sometimes I wish we could go back there.

My wife and I never take the highways when on vacation. We always take the smallest back roads we can find to get from point A to B. Amazing what you see out there.

What was neat at that old generals store was they still sold Pepsi in bottles and we had ice cream sandwiches as well. Really took us both back to simpler times.

/ Old abandoned Ford Tractor dealership #7  
Well it is someone's property and the stuff in it or in it is someone's, too. If it was mine and I caught someone trespassing and maybe even helping themselves to my stuff, there would only be a one sided conversation.

Did I miss someones post where they talked about actually being inside? I know how the OP feels. I have been fortunate enough to walk through some old factories and such that closed down long ago (all with permission) and the history inside those places (even empty) is just fun to take in. The OP didn't go in, only took a picture of the place.

There are a couple old Ford dealerships around here still. One is on the railroad tracks and had the nice show room with all the large glass windows. It closed down around 20+ years ago.

/ Old abandoned Ford Tractor dealership #8  
I miss all that. The little town I'm from is essentially dead.

When growing up it had doctors a drugstore with pharmacy. Ten cent store, fabric store, 2 grocery stores, furniture store, hardware, barber shops, heating and air, a bank. Laundry mat, liquor store, filling stations, yep 2, small restaurants, 3 taverns, and a garage or two for fixing cars. Also some grain elevators and one time when I was very young it still had a movie theater. But it closed not to much later. That's a shame dad said they used to go all the time when he was a kid. Also when he was growing up they had an interurban train that they could ride to Terre Haute and other cities and towns near by. We lost a lot.

Now there is hardly anything left there.

/ Old abandoned Ford Tractor dealership
I miss all that. The little town I'm from is essentially dead.

When growing up it had doctors a drugstore with pharmacy. Ten cent store, fabric store, 2 grocery stores, furniture store, hardware, barber shops, heating and air, a bank. Laundry mat, liquor store, filling stations, yep 2, small restaurants, 3 taverns, and a garage or two for fixing cars. Also some grain elevators and one time when I was very young it still had a movie theater. But it closed not to much later. That's a shame dad said they used to go all the time when he was a kid. Also when he was growing up they had an interurban train that they could ride to Terre Haute and other cities and towns near by. We lost a lot.

Now there is hardly anything left there.

The generic Wal-Marting of America. Notice now every shopping area of nearly every town has a WM, McDonalds, Staples, Applebees, Red Lobster and Lowes or Home Depot.

Franchise central. I would rather go back to how I grow up in the 60's and 70's with the little mom and pop stores.

/ Old abandoned Ford Tractor dealership #10  
zz,?????????????????

Patriotic, I know exactly what you mean. The town I grew up in had one major employer - a cement plant. Most people that worked there could walk to work.
There were shops, a couple restaurants (Isalys), a few bars, etc. The homes weren't big and extravagant, but they were neat and well kept. Every summer a carnival came to town and there were parades and fireworks. All that is gone now. The plant shut down and the town is barely surviving. People can't afford to maintain their homes if they can stay in them at all. But hey, we got a Wal-mart about 30 minutes away!!

Sweep, you obviously don't like progress:(.