pulling well pump, no pitiless adaptor?

/ pulling well pump, no pitiless adaptor? #1  

SPIKER

Elite Member
Tractor
Jinma 284
HI ALL:

Well this past week been really busy got my pole barn floor all setup leveled and compacted. Installed the foam insulation & radiant tubing & had Amish contractor come in & pour 60 yards of crete. leveled out & looks great. They had one of their boys there to help & during clean up he was playing in the hose washing off tools. anyhow ran well dry & dropped hose leaving spray head/nozzle on. I didnt catch the pump running for a long time... anyhow seems to have seized up now.

I've helped pull a couple well pumps down deeper than mine is but they all had pitiless adapters on them. My well (put in back in July '85) by previous owner seems to have no pitiless adapter on it looks like a "T" and pipe thru side of casing without an obvious way to pull it. It looks like a flat hex plug on the top of the "T" it is down ~4' in the casing side.

Does anyone have any idea how this would be pulled to be replaced? Do I need to dig up the side of the casing to get to the "T" fitting to pull it loose from side of casing then pull pump? Pic didnt work as it was too far down/dark to get phone to pick it up, might try the camera tomorrow see if zoom works to get a pic.

Priced pumps at Menards 299 for 1/2hp 325 for a 3/4 hp

anyone know if this is good pricing? should I upgrade to 3/4hp pump current pump is 1/2hp 10gpm usually OK but well has been going dry pretty regularly as of late.

edit in http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/water/maptechs/wellogs/appNEW/report.aspx?s=c&wln=638524well report well 70' deep, pump ~63ft. water level 27' w 10 feet drawdown.

thanks

Mark

Last edited:
   / pulling well pump, no pitiless adaptor? #2  
Shine some light on it to get a clearer view.:)

/ pulling well pump, no pitiless adaptor? #3  
Ive never seem them done with a T like you describe I guess it can be done if you have the access to the side wall.Seems like a stupid way to save a buck by not putting in a pit less adapter to me.
As far as pricing that doesn't sound bad . I would do a seacrch lookup on LOwes and Home depot to compare..

Search Results for deep well pump

Shop Pumps at Lowes.com

Ive used the home depot ones. I changed one because of the motor going and also just did one because the pump itself went. So becasue i saved them both i was able to take the good motor and the good pump unit and conect them together to leave me with a runable spare pump.
lol

/ pulling well pump, no pitiless adaptor? #4  
Sounds to me like you'll be digging it up and installing a Pitless Adapter. I agree, that is a cost saving (but stupid) move.

/ pulling well pump, no pitiless adaptor? #6  
Most townships and municipalities (around here at least) require a pitless adapter and screened sealed wellhead top. Keeps things out and allows air to enter the casing.

/ pulling well pump, no pitiless adaptor?
I added a couple pics see them @ photo bucket
wellt3.jpg

wellt2.jpg

wellt4.jpg

mark

/ pulling well pump, no pitiless adaptor? #8  
Well Mark this one is a stumper - never seen such a setup.. If you can get a rope wrapped around the pipe below the Tee somehow to support the pump/pipe that would be my first step. Then try to pull it to see if it will release..

Then a large socket to loosen the hex nut 4' down is going to be a challenge tho..

Looks to me like some digging outside the casing might be the only avenue..

Good luck on this one - any chance there is a drilling co label anywhere or possible to find the previous owner as to who installed this?

Also sounds like you have a low producing well so I would stick with a 1/2 Hp at the depth you are pumping and install a low pressue cutout switch on the tank to prevent this from happening again.

Carl

/ pulling well pump, no pitiless adaptor? #9  
You wouldn't see the pump below the camera on my well, it's 100 feet downhole. When I lived south of Cleveland, I was 60 feet downhole. Your's appears to be very shallow. I would be investing in a driller deepening the exising hole.

On my present well, I went from 80 to 130 and set the pump at 100 with 15 feet of water above it at maximum draw.

Submersibles all require that they are completely immersed in water all the time to keep the motor cool.

On a shallow well, you also risk the chance of groundwater contamination from pesticide and fertilizer leaching, one reason I never had a driven well, though points are quite common around here. I have cointinous casing to bedrock.

/ pulling well pump, no pitiless adaptor?
Close inspection of the high res photos the "HEX" is actually NOT a HEX but has 2 flats and half rounds on each side to form the cap that is in there. The water level is about 25 feet down that is what is shinny below the T not the pump. Pump is set at 60 feet with well drill dept of 70 feet back in 85. here is the well log and they have a link on here to the actual scan of the original drill log Water Well Log and Drilling Report

have not had time to work on it yet too much other dang things breaking ect. the well is next but will be next week sometime.

mark