Concrete Driveway Cost

/ Concrete Driveway Cost #41  
I don't really do much new flat concrete work, except for patching the trenches we cut in for basement drainage work.

But I think those boards were also used as a form from which to strike a screed level across, helps to keep the right grade. Possibly pouring in 2 sections, even on different days. But that could get risking with matching the exact color, which could vary from batch to batch or day to day.

As mentioned a couple of saw cut joints would of helped prevent the cracks from running wild. I did a little shed floor attached to my shop, this shed had a full foundation all around 4 sides, I figured no need for expansion joints, well on the coldest deep freeze night that thing must of exploded! came out the next day and it was heaved in the middle and cracked outward towards the edges. never went back down all the way :mad:

JB

/ Concrete Driveway Cost
JB, I think this Sikaflex SL is really good stuff, and comparatively easy to work with. Naturally, there are a few ways to mess up a bit.:laughing: And you know I'd find them.;) Of course you apply it with a caulking gun, but it's thin enough that it will continue to slowly flow out of the tube unless you not only release the pressure from the caulking gun, but point the tip UP. So it's easy to get a little too much in places. On the other hand, it's slowly sinking into the crack or joint, so you sometimes have to go back a few feet to finish filling in there. That's not a problem except for trying not to string some of it in places you didn't want it. In other words, it's easy to get too much or too little. But overall, I think it's great. It's dry enough that yesterday I hosed off the driveway.

The first picture is from the street.
The second picture is the expansion joint just before the driveway flares to the street.
The third picture is the expansion joint I did in December, 2009, at the garage apron. You can see the difference in color in that one vs. the new ones on which I applied play sand. (The difference in the light in that photo is because the sun was coming up and hit half of the driveway:)).
The fourth picture is about the middle of the driveway where where one crack goes across the full width of the driveway and the other the full length of the driveway.

Attachments

• Driveway 001.JPG
    Driveway 001.JPG
    385.4 KB · Views: 1,035
  • Driveway 003.JPG
    Driveway 003.JPG
    389.1 KB · Views: 184
  • Driveway 004.JPG
    Driveway 004.JPG
    381.5 KB · Views: 145
  • Driveway 006.JPG
    Driveway 006.JPG
    408.9 KB · Views: 202
   / Concrete Driveway Cost #46  
yeah, you do have to be careful with self leveling materials, you can loose alot of valuable product if you don't have all the voids blocked off, it will just keep draining out.

And I often forget to release the pressure on the caulk gun and end up with caulk all over something I didn't intend it to be on :eek:

JB

/ Concrete Driveway Cost
Yep, that's right, JB, I made some little stakes that I drove in the ground at the ends of the expansion joints and at the ends of the crack that went all the way across.

This did turn out to be much cheaper than tearing out the drive and rebuilding it, so I'm happy with it.

And thanks, Egon and two bit score.

/ Concrete Driveway Cost #48  
Yep, that's right, JB, I made some little stakes that I drove in the ground at the ends of the expansion joints and at the ends of the crack that went all the way across.

This did turn out to be much cheaper than tearing out the drive and rebuilding it, so I'm happy with it.

And thanks, Egon and two bit score.

Always, Bird!