Self Sufficiency - Small Steps

/ Self Sufficiency - Small Steps
2012 Year in Review - Update

Wow, this older thread popped back up and I realized how I had almost forgotten about. Time for an update or two.

Since I last posted, 6 acres became available a mile up the road. Two acres of hardwoods, and across the road, two acres of over grown Christmas tree stock and two acres of gorgeous pasture land. Long story short, we jumped on them. Both pieces were being sold in a "panic" sale, but there is only so cheap that land comes.

View attachment 289923

We had the propane company come pick up the 400 gallon pig out of the yard. We've installed a wood stove as our primary heat source, and it has warmed us much better. We spent perhaps a week's total time cutting and stacking fire wood this year and we've an abundant supply of oak and ash. Since they were standing dead or downed trees, the wood is superb. Just another small step in the self sufficient lifestyle.

View attachment 289927

The chicken flock grows as well as the egg biz. I've expanded into some heritage birds with the nation's very best blood lines. I've got a rather long waiting list of folks wanting to buy offspring next year.

View attachment 289926View attachment 289928

We keep expanding the gardens and sales have been better each year. We put up more food than ever before, all we can possibly eat, but the freaky weather last spring wiped out the state's fruit crops. No cherries, no peaches, no apples. Really a bummer on that score.

Also got the driven well, with manual pitcher pump in this year. The water is pure, cold and plentiful. Grateful to have finished that project.

View attachment 289924

So, I guess on this Thanksgiving Day, I pause and give thanks for a great year. We survived the bizarre spring heat, followed by killing frost, followed by the worst heat and drought in memory. Still? Through hard work and endurance, you make it through. LOL. Thankful to live here. Thankful each and every day.

/ Self Sufficiency - Small Steps #62  
What a great thread. Thanks for the update and Happy Thanksgiving!!

/ Self Sufficiency - Small Steps #63  
2012 Year in Review - Update

Wow, this older thread popped back up and I realized how I had almost forgotten about. Time for an update or two.

Since I last posted, 6 acres became available a mile up the road. Two acres of hardwoods, and across the road, two acres of over grown Christmas tree stock and two acres of gorgeous pasture land. Long story short, we jumped on them. Both pieces were being sold in a "panic" sale, but there is only so cheap that land comes.

View attachment 289923

We had the propane company come pick up the 400 gallon pig out of the yard. We've installed a wood stove as our primary heat source, and it has warmed us much better. We spent perhaps a week's total time cutting and stacking fire wood this year and we've an abundant supply of oak and ash. Since they were standing dead or downed trees, the wood is superb. Just another small step in the self sufficient lifestyle.

View attachment 289927

The chicken flock grows as well as the egg biz. I've expanded into some heritage birds with the nation's very best blood lines. I've got a rather long waiting list of folks wanting to buy offspring next year.

View attachment 289926View attachment 289928

We keep expanding the gardens and sales have been better each year. We put up more food than ever before, all we can possibly eat, but the freaky weather last spring wiped out the state's fruit crops. No cherries, no peaches, no apples. Really a bummer on that score.

Also got the driven well, with manual pitcher pump in this year. The water is pure, cold and plentiful. Grateful to have finished that project.

View attachment 289924

So, I guess on this Thanksgiving Day, I pause and give thanks for a great year. We survived the bizarre spring heat, followed by killing frost, followed by the worst heat and drought in memory. Still? Through hard work and endurance, you make it through. LOL. Thankful to live here. Thankful each and every day.

Great pics!! Are those barred rock chicks? We have some Marans, but they are poor layers. I am planning on a woodstove installation this coming year. Like you, we have lots of wood.

Great pics!! Are those barred rock chicks? We have some Marans, but they are poor layers. I am planning on a woodstove installation this coming year. Like you, we have lots of wood.

Yes, those are the famous ringlet line Barred Rocks of E. B. Thompson, the father of the Barred Rock. There may be only a thousand or so known to be in existence, but interest is really growing in keeping the real thing, not the mish-mash mixed up hatchery birds of today. The hatcheries are profit oriented. Their birds are light years away from being the true type. Hatcheries provide a service and their birds are usually healthy. But quality birds only come from true breeders.

/ Self Sufficiency - Small Steps #65  
Yes, those are the famous ringlet line Barred Rocks of E. B. Thompson, the father of the Barred Rock. There may be only a thousand or so known to be in existence, but interest is really growing in keeping the real thing, not the mish-mash mixed up hatchery birds of today. The hatcheries are profit oriented. Their birds are light years away from being the true type. Hatcheries provide a service and their birds are usually healthy. But quality birds only come from true breeders.

What does a "quality " chicken cost ?:confused3:

What does a "quality " chicken cost ?:confused3:

There's no set price. Many, many times breeders of high quality birds would just give you some to get started. They are more interested in perpetuating the breed and are often very helpful in assisting others get their start. At some poultry shows, breeders will often make great deals on their surplus stock, at the October/November shows because they don't want to carry them over the coming winter. With a good broody hen or two and a small incubator, you can crank out 100 chicks the following spring/summer. Hope that helps.

One small step in this lifestyle is a sustainable flock, if chickens are what you're after. Heirloom or heritage birds go broody, while most hatchery birds have had broodiness bred out of them. An heirloom or heritage bird is typically a pound or two larger than hatchery stock as well. The carcass size makes a much better meal.

Continually returning to the feed store or hatchery, year after year, to buy chicks was something we wanted get away from. Frankly, with great seed stock, one can breed much better birds anyhow. Just another step along the way.

We bought our last chicks a year or so ago.

/ Self Sufficiency - Small Steps #68  
There's no set price. Many, many times breeders of high quality birds would just give you some to get started. They are more interested in perpetuating the breed and are often very helpful in assisting others get their start. At some poultry shows, breeders will often make great deals on their surplus stock, at the October/November shows because they don't want to carry them over the coming winter. With a good broody hen or two and a small incubator, you can crank out 100 chicks the following spring/summer. Hope that helps.

I have seen a number of Breeders on different sites selling their poultry show birds for upwards of $100.00 each ,While that is a respectable endeavor to perpetuate the breed and a good hobby business Most of us are only interested in chickens as a food source and eggs ,when they stop laying into the soup they go ! grumpy's eegs 001.jpg

I have seen a number of Breeders on different sites selling their poultry show birds for upwards of $100.00 each ,While that is a respectable endeavor to perpetuate the breed and a good hobby business Most of us are only interested in chickens as a food source and eggs ,when they stop laying into the soup they go !View attachment 289981

Two things. Those are breeders looking for a high profit margin. I don't judge people's business ventures. But I will say this. In many cases, not everything is as it appears. I'll leave it at that.

I got my ringlet Barred Rocks for nothing. Just the shipping. This is more typical. Secondly, I can order eggs, as I have, from the very, very best lines of Rhode Island Reds for $30 for 14 hatching eggs, and that includes the shipping. I have an order in now.

Heirloom/heritage birds can be used for show. That's a fine hobby, as you say. But, the bird's true intent, the intent of those who made those famous American breeds over 130 years ago was infinitely practical. They are simply great birds. They'll live 6-7 years, grow to large carcass and will have great, natural foraging instincts. Those are the reason a homesteader wants them.

Saving Seeds

This year, I committed to a serious process of saving seed. Our seed costs could exceed $400 for our larger operation and I just got tired of messing with hunting down seed each year. I've begun to seriously collect, process and save seed. It has proved to be an enjoyable and rewarding part of taking steps to a more self sufficient life style.

I've found cucumber, sweet corn, green peppers, green beans, sweet peas, onions, squash, spices, and many others to be extremely straightforward to harvest, dry and save.

I am surprised just how rewarding this is. I've come to thoroughly enjoy it. If you've thought seed saving, there are great You-tube instructional videos for about everything. Great stuff.