Self Sufficiency - Small Steps

/ Self Sufficiency - Small Steps #1  

bp fick

Tractor
John Deere X390
Three years ago, as my professional vocation began to wind down, one of the main goals/purposes of moving back to where I was raised in the country was to engage in some level of self-sufficiency combined with integrating some organic agriculture practices.
It has been challenging and perhaps as rewarding as any we could have chosen to do.

I began to assemble a list of foods that we now fill our jars and freezers and/or eat as the crops produce in season. Most in multiple varieties as noted.
3 lettuce.
3 tomatoes
2 onions (yellow and red)
3 sweet corn (early, mid, and bi-color)
cabbage
2 broccoli
cauliflower
2 potatoes (red and white)
2 green beans (pole and bush)
strawberries
blackberries
2 Sweet peas
2 carrots
2 spinach
3 winter squash
2 pickles/cucumbers
2 green peppers
water mellon
rhubarb

In addition, we have a couple dozen chickens and lots of eggs.
Probably shoot a couple deer this fall and a few rabbits and squirrel.
We barter eggs and vegetables for a half of pork.

I don't know how one would compute it with absolute accuracy, but I am estimating that easily half our food now is produced right here. The shelves are filling up, the freezers are getting fuller by the day. It is incredibly hard work, but the enjoyment and satisfaction is priceless. The egg sales and marketing the produce pays the cost of the tractor, fuel, seed, all our own food and covers the property taxes. No complaints.

Of course, if I compute my "wages" I'm probably working for $.50 an hour, but hey! :laughing:

/ Self Sufficiency - Small Steps #2  
That's great that you're livin' life just the way you want :thumbsup:

/ Self Sufficiency - Small Steps #3  
Hard work is good for us, it is a much healthier lifestyle. Farm fresh eggs are great

/ Self Sufficiency - Small Steps #4  
Will be trying to do the same thing someday :p How are you "marketing the produce"??

/ Self Sufficiency - Small Steps #5  
All that work and I bet you still have lower blood pressure than you did while in the "rat race"

/ Self Sufficiency - Small Steps #6  
We are trying to do much the same - except we're both from suburbia, so we don't have the advantage of having seen it done when young'uns. Learning the hard way, but it is enjoyable and the food tastes a lot better! The Plant Manager has been canning and pickling up a storm for the past few weeks. Her blueberry jam is to die for - makes all the time spent weeding, pruning, getting stung and picking worth while. Good luck and keep posting!
-Jim

/ Self Sufficiency - Small Steps
Will be trying to do the same thing someday :p How are you "marketing the produce"??

As a youngster growing up on a subsistence farm/greenhouse/nursery, but with 8 acres committed to market, we sold at the local "farmer's market" in town on Wednesdays and Saturdays. I don't recall the specifics, but 20 or 25 bucks got you your double sales lot for the season.

The towns around here now simply don't see the real purpose in hosting these markets. It costs them virtually nothing, but they gain the traffic, the local color, and so forth. They ought to be free, as all they are doing is setting up in a parking lot, for pity sake. They are charging, per day, a fee. Counter productive.

So, we sell word of mouth, Craigs, and signs at the end of the drive and we've done just fine. I also have a couple of Whole Foods type contracts, which I have not yet decided to renew for next year.

/ Self Sufficiency - Small Steps #8  
BP,

Well wishes on your journey. I have a similar plan brewing now and hope to join you/others soon. I need out of the rat race in a bad way. This forum has been a good source of encouragement and learning.

I also think you deserve a pay raise. 4% cost of living should just about do it... that brings you up to $0.52/hr. :laughing:

Happy Farming,
Greg

/ Self Sufficiency - Small Steps #10  
The towns around here now simply don't see the real purpose in hosting these markets. It costs them virtually nothing, but they gain the traffic, the local color, and so forth. They ought to be free, as all they are doing is setting up in a parking lot, for pity sake. They are charging, per day, a fee. Counter productive.
I agree, nonsense.

Hey bp,
Did you plant seeds you have had from saving them or buy seeds to plant? And thumbs up on the nice garden and well thought out plan!