23 years of sweat equity and $217,000 later

/ 23 years of sweat equity and $217,000 later
If you don't toot your horn who else is? :) Good job on the house, difference is night and day. Bet you're glad to get that mortgage monkey off your back? It's a good idea to pay off a mortgage ASAP. Why pay the bank 5% when they are paying .1% on savings?

"Savings"....what are those? My wife doesn't have a clue as to what they are...possibly some kind of new credit card plan.....??? :laughing:

/ 23 years of sweat equity and $217,000 later #24  
The sweat equity makes it even sweeter. There is nothing like the gut knowledge that this is mine. Congrats

/ 23 years of sweat equity and $217,000 later #25  
"Savings"....what are those? My wife doesn't have a clue as to what they are...possibly some kind of new credit card plan.....??? :laughing:

As the others have said, congrats. I don't see how a young couple can raise a family and have a decent place with today's economy. I busted my rump (and a lot more since I think I have more blood equity than sweat equity ;)) to have everything I own paid off before my first of 5 kids hit high school. I have two in college, two in high school and one in middle school now. Take those expenses and add on all the freaking property taxes (my biggest pet peeve), insurance expenses, utilities, state taxes, county taxes etc., and I don't see how a family can make it if they owe money on anything. Seriously, my hat is off to ya if you're making a mortgage payment, car payment(s), any credit card payments, medical insurance payments etc.

I didn't inherit a dime and I want my kids to live life as if they won't inherit anything. Heck, who knows, maybe I'll totally lose my mind and get one of those rip off reverse mortgages and not have anything to leave them! I earned all of it, why shouldn't I spend all of it if I want? But, no, I won't do that. I just don't want my kids squabbling after I'm gone over what it took me a lifetime to earn and save. I just wish I didn't have to keep making the big semi-annual payments (property taxes) to the government and could really pay off and own my land. Wouldn't that be nice if a guy could do that!

/ 23 years of sweat equity and $217,000 later
About property taxes....in my opinion, property taxes are one of the biggest swindles ever foisted off onto the middle class. What did my township and county do to help me improve and remodel my property to better my neighborhood? Did they do any work? Did they pay for any materials? I devoted tens of thousands of hours of sweat equity because it was the alternative to paying someone else for work I could do myself, and what happened to my property taxes from 1988 to 2004? They went sky-high, and it ticks me off BIG TIME.

PROPERTY TAXES ARE A HUGE RIPOFF AND A FARCE. I can accept annual increases because of the cost of living adjustments, but to screw over property owners because they go into debt to improve their neighborhood is 100% wrong, IMO.

Suppose my place is worth a quarter million bucks, and somebody buys a minimum size lot next door and builds a crackerbox on it. Who will pay more in taxes, me or the guy next door? Will my kids get better schooling because of the extra taxes I have to pay? Will I get better police, fire, and EMT service? Will the county maintain the road in front of my place better than the road in front of Mr. Crackerbox?

My feelings are, since all taxpayers in a taxing jurisdiction are given equal treatment and equal services by the taxing authorities, EVERY property owner should pay the same amount in taxes, and improving your property should not raise your taxes.

Thanks for letting me have my say.

/ 23 years of sweat equity and $217,000 later #27  
About property taxes....in my opinion, property taxes are one of the biggest swindles ever foisted off onto the middle class. What did my township and county do to help me improve and remodel my property to better my neighborhood? Did they do any work? Did they pay for any materials? I devoted tens of thousands of hours of sweat equity because it was the alternative to paying someone else for work I could do myself, and what happened to my property taxes from 1988 to 2004? They went sky-high, and it ticks me off BIG TIME.

PROPERTY TAXES ARE A HUGE RIPOFF AND A FARCE. I can accept annual increases because of the cost of living adjustments, but to screw over property owners because they go into debt to improve their neighborhood is 100% wrong, IMO.

Suppose my place is worth a quarter million bucks, and somebody buys a minimum size lot next door and builds a crackerbox on it. Who will pay more in taxes, me or the guy next door? Will my kids get better schooling because of the extra taxes I have to pay? Will I get better police, fire, and EMT service? Will the county maintain the road in front of my place better than the road in front of Mr. Crackerbox?

My feelings are, since all taxpayers in a taxing jurisdiction are given equal treatment and equal services by the taxing authorities, EVERY property owner should pay the same amount in taxes, and improving your property should not raise your taxes.

I agree with you completely and just want to add that every nail, board and gallon of paint you used was already taxed at the time you bought it to make the improvement. Property taxes are just taxing you again on the same thing! I have some renters who have 4 kids and they openly admit that they will stay and be good renters and let me pay the property taxes; which on rent houses are 50% more where I live than your primary residence. I can't really charge them more rent because the market won't bear it. It shouldn't be this way.

Sorry for somewhat sidetracking your great accomplishment and hard work. Again, congratulations!

/ 23 years of sweat equity and $217,000 later #28  
I can't really charge them more rent because the market won't bear it.

There is a guy on this froum that doesn't understand that concept. I will have to point this out for him.

/ 23 years of sweat equity and $217,000 later #29  
Congrats! I'm getting close myself :)

JB.

/ 23 years of sweat equity and $217,000 later #30  

You are getting screwed over by history and expectations. Once upon a time, property tax was the only tax most people paid, and it was levied against the landed gentry, the "upper class" who could afford to own property. The lower class generally didn't have any money anyway.

The tax didn't pay for much. Roads, bridges and ferries were private, and you paid a toll if you used them. Schools started out private, and when universal education became popular in the 19th century, an 8th grade education was considered adequate. Kids were considered adult by age 13, and were ready to begin an apprenticeship, marry, or get a job in a factory. Jefferson's original concept of universal education had 1/3 of elementary students going on to secondary school, and 1/3 of secondary school students going on to university.

Your property taxes have been stretched to pay for more and more over the decades. Roads, schools, public health and sanitation, jails, law enforcement...the list goes on and on, and rates have increased to cover demand. Some areas of the country pay outrageous property taxes. My brother-in-law grew up in Connecticut in a big old house on the water. He told me property taxes on that property are over $4000 a month.

Oregon had a property tax revolt about 20 years ago. They rolled property tax operating levies back to 1993 rates, and capped increases at 3% a year. I have a 1750 sq. ft. completely remodelled and updated house, deck, gazebo overlooking the creek in the back yard, barn and 93 acres of timber. With the state timber deferral program (taxes paid at harvest on the timber) my property tax is only $1400 a year. Despite dire predictions, the state did not dissolve into chaos, though the voters passed an income tax rate increase a couple years ago that has been a real lifesaver during this depression. It sounds like you should look into revising property tax laws in Michigan.

Anyway, congrats on paying off the mortgage. I finished mine in August of 2008, and being debt free puts a lot more money in the bank account. I just switched to putting the mortgage payment into my retirement account. It's amazing how fast equity builds when you are not being sucked dry by the banking system. :2cents: