Dogs Outside

/ Dogs Outside #1  

Anonymous Poster

The post about 'inhumanity to animals' brought up a question. How long is it before there are strict gudelines and rules regarding how that term is defined by law? Lets face it, almost everything else is either legislated or well on it's way to becoming so. We used to be able to rely on compassion and common sense on many routine issues, but that no longer seems to be the case. How does one determine what is humane treatment? Should dogs be required to earn their keep?

My husband grew up with two parents who were silly about dogs, still are. He grew up with numerous dogs in the house and hated every moment of it. The minute one would be successfully house-trained, along would come another puppy.
You get the picture.

As a result he refuses to allow animals in the house. Short, periods, special circumstances ONLY. I am a dog lover, so therein lies the quandry. We had two dogs in the city that lived outside, in a large community doghouse, were walked regularly, and had clean fresh water daily, etc. Someone called animal welfare on us.

The man from animal welfare informed me point blank, that it was inhumane to leave a dog outside in the heat of summer in Florida as the temperatures were extreme, and if he had his way, he would force mandatory climate control for domestic animals. In other words, keep them in the house, or don't keep them. Huh?

At first I didn't know how to respond. Here I was thinking that I would end up having to search for new homes for my dogs. Then a thought struck me.

"Ya know, my husband works in this heat every day, all day, rain or shine. Unlike these dogs, who have the option to dig a hole, find a cool spot and sleep through it. Furthermore, when the day comes that I am mandated to have air conditioning that I may not choose to pay for, for MYSELF, for the sake of my dogs, I will have a very big problem with that."

This was a clear case of a man making an effort to enforce his own ideas on an unsuspecting, unwitting housewife. He barked up the wrong tree, so to speak. I recieved no ticket or warning, he left with his tail tucked between his legs and I never saw him again.

Of course we make concessions for our dogs in special circumstances, good sturdy doghouses, hurricane preparedness. In extreme bad weather, they bunk in the bathrooms. They know the routine.

It's scary to think that it could happen, though. Our dogs are our burglar alarm system, our guarded sentries, they protect the queen (that would be me) when my husband is away by keeping unsavory individuals off the property. The twelve gauge by the bed is the last line of defense. I kind of like things the way they are.

/ Dogs Outside #2  
Cindi -- My wife and I rescue abused goldens, and have four of our own. All four are house dogs, and beloved companions. That said, they're dogs. We can and do let them out for extended periods, certain in the knowledge that they are well trained and will woof! an alarm before all heck breaks loose. Dogs, like people, need to be acclimated to changes in weather, i.e., you can't take a dog from Alabama in the middle of winter and expect it to be comfortable with our Vermont conditions. Doing so would be abusive. But your situation sounds much different. A shame your view differs so much from your husband's, though.

There are a lot of animal zealots in the world. We run into them now and then and find it a real turn-off. Our policy is to never place one of our rescues with a zealot, as they tend to have a weak grasp on the common sense thing. It's a shame so many of them end up in positions of pseudo-authority.

Come to think of it, a zealot drove us into rescue work in the first place. We had applied for a golden from a well-known and exceptionally well-funded rescue organization out of Boston. They sent a representative up for a home visit and found us perfect in every way...save one. We were not given a dog because we had no fenced yard. We have 155 acres at the end of a dirt road. Our land is surrounded by 3500 acres of state forest. We have no year-round neighbors. But we didn't have a fenced yard so we did not qualify!

Leaving aside obvious exceptions like storms, extreme changes in conditions, etc, we see nothing wrong with keeping a dog outside provided it is regularly given attention and is of a breed that can tolerate being a peripheral member of the pack.

Sounds like you're doing just fine. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Pete (Ragtag Golden Retriever Rescue)

/ Dogs Outside #3  
Every dog I've ever owned has been an outside dog. Like your husband I won't allow animals in the house (if I owned cattle I wouldn't keep them in my house). My wife frets and worries about them but has finally realized that they will be just fine outside.

Both of the German shepherds I've owned refuse to use their doghouses except when it rains. So every winter I construct a shelter for them out of straw bales and they take refuge when they feel the need. Now our lab/chinese pug mix is just the opposite. One snow flake and he heads to his house to hybernate.

Funny isn't it? Not so long ago Jim and Tammy Bakker (of PLT fame) were ridiculed on national TV for their air-conditioned dog house, now there are idiots trying to mandate it.

/ Dogs Outside
I responded to an ad in the paper once for a bassett hound, fifty dollars, to good home. The owners put me through the mill. Dog must stay inside, can only eat yadda yadda, water must be room temp, no leather leashes, feed 1/2 cup four times a day, I mean to tell you the list went on and on. I had an anxiety attack. They wanted to come and check out my house before they let me take the dog. I finally said, look, I've got three kids already, I wanted a dog, never mind. Maybe it was the breed that called for these special conditions, I don't know.

/ Dogs Outside #5  
<font color="blue"> Maybe it was the breed that called for these special conditions </font>

I had a bassett hound as a kid, my aunt bred them and they were AKC registered. No special care required, sounds like your people were related to that humane officer you told us about.

/ Dogs Outside #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Leaving aside obvious exceptions like storms, extreme changes in conditions, etc, we see nothing wrong with keeping a dog outside provided it is regularly given attention and is of a breed that can tolerate being a peripheral member of the pack.
)</font>

Well said Pete. My only comment is that I'm not aware of too many breeds that wouldn't be "happier" if they had more attention. For example, we picked up an SPCA (pound) dog who was on her way to the happy hunting grounds. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif She is a husky/german shephard cross....and certainly an outside dog. We give her lots of attention. She has a well insulated dog house, ample food and water. I'm sure she would love to have more attention....and probably even live inside with us....why wouldn't she? We're nice people /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Is she "a peripheral member of the pack"? Yup. She's our dog. (see attachment)

Kevin

Last edited:
   / Dogs Outside #7  
I/we had a Samoyed (60lb fur machine) named Sasha for 11 years. In our household she had a choice: inside or outside whenever she wanted. Her breed which came from the frozen Artic wastelands preferred wide open spaces. So when we lived in Texas, she would beg to go outside even when it was 100+. Mind you she didn't run & play in that heat she just lied down and kept watch over the neighborhood. When it was in the single digits, again she wanted to be outside, but now she might turn her head away form the wind or tuck in her snout. My wife used to plead with her to come into the house during foul weather, but she wasn't interested until it was bed-time, then she stood guard as we slept. From time to time my mother or a neighbor would say that we were cruel for having outside during extreme weather. I think it would have been cruel to force her to stay inside when her breed loves the outdoors so much.

Anyway she lived a heatlhy life which cut short by a visit to to the Vet, where during a teeth cleaning she had a bad reaction to the anetheisa. I don't blame the Vet, and no it didn't sue him, it's just ironic that you do what you are supposed to do, and bad things still can happen. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Dogs Outside #8  
Gosh...maybe I missed something but are these animals not basically domesticated wolves?
Last time I checked most wolves don't have acess to much AC.

A shelter, fresh water, plenty of food, and preferable a buddy or two to play with is all that is needed for a happy and long life.

Heck my lab is in the pond on a regular basis even when its half frozen over. Thats why he has a winter coat. If you doubt it go out one cold winter night and feel the skin of a dog that has been sleeping. You could toast some bread under there. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Plenty of water and a shaddy place is all that is needed for summer. After all a grown dog will sleep most of the day anyway.

Fred

/ Dogs Outside #9  
Where you keep your animals as long as they are fed and watered and provided with vet care and shelter is your buisness--mine sleep in the house and stay out in the day except during storms and cold or heat of the day. I figure you are new to the South, are your dogs on heartworm prevention? I used to feed my dogs, our first set, outside but it was disconcerting watching them try to enjoy there meals with flys, mosquitos and those wasps and hornets you mentioned in your "story" snacking on them. So now they always eat inside and then after some human attention go back outside till time for bed, one sleeps on the foot of the bed and the other beside the bed on my side, wouldn't have it any other way. If I did not want their companionship I would have never brought them home and once I did they are my responsibility 'till death parts us, but that is just me. J

/ Dogs Outside #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( but that is just me )</font>

Me too. Our 3 - two german shorthairs and one small mixed breed we found - stay outside during the day while we're at work. We bring them in when we get home. They stay in a small section of the barn that has access to a small fenced in area (16' X 30'). In the barn I keep a fresh, 12" layer of straw. There's a an insulated house with a hard poly "piglet-heater" screwed to the floor. There's also a heated water bucket. When I open the door in the morning, they bee-line for the barn and jump around at the door until I let them in.

Sometimes at night, I'll wake up because I have trouble breathing and realize it's because I have 70# animal lying on top of me /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. I wouldn't have it any other way.