Coyotes/Cats

/ Coyotes/Cats #1  

pdxman

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B6200 HST
I probably know the answer to this, but looking for any info from someone else that has experienced this...We have a cat, an excellent mouser, and also a great awareness of her surroundings and dangers. It's Monday and haven't seen her since Friday afternoon. She either comes in at night, or if out at night, comes in first thing in the morning. Anyway, we live on 5 acres rural property and have the normal coyotes, coons, etc, that are associated with being rural. Coyote and coon population seems low since I am seeing or hearing very little as in the past. My daughters still holding hope that the cat is lost or missing. I walked the property looking for any signs of her, mostly looking for remains and closure. My main question though is, if she did get eaten by a predator, will they travel far to finish this or is it eaten asap? Are there any other things to look for? This is just a stab in the dark, but two young girls hold hope for the missing, but will accept the loss if it is known.

/ Coyotes/Cats #2  
pdxman, I don't really know the answer to your question, but have heard lots of times about coyotes eating domestic cats and think the coyote will take it to cover before eating it.

My wife was afraid to let our Rat Terrier out this morning because she could see two coyotes in the pasture next door.

Bird

/ Coyotes/Cats #3  
PDX, I don't know what a coyote would do to your mouser. I have two and also live somewhat far far away...in a galexy yet undiscovered but that's a different story..sorry.

I also have two cats. Don't know how old yours is, but when mine were younger, (they are STRICTLY outdoor cats as I'm very allergic to them) they would stay near the house, indeed, the white one (Whitey) /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif would stay on the porch almost 24 hours a day. Once I had them "fixed" the vet said the male (Whitey) would "tend to stick closer to home" I laughed and said if he sticks any closer to home, he will be VELCROED to the glass in the front door /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif. Anyway, as they (Whitey & Blacky) got older they started to roam around the "farm" and at times will be gone for what seems to be a week. This is in SHARP contrast to their "homebody'ness" and I too, don't always know what to make of it. I have on more than one occasion, written "Whitey" off as a casualty. He always come's purring back though. He is a "lover" not a fighter" and will follow you like a dog. He is a VERY VERY friendly cat. Last time he was gone, we concluded he was "moused" himself, or maybe a hunter took him, few days later, he just shows up like "What's up dude?"

Upshot, if your cat is on the younger side, I (in hindsight) would be a tad more concerned, if on other hand, he is an older one, he/she is possibly just out "catting around"

Just my .02 thoughts
Richard

/ Coyotes/Cats #4  
pdxman: Sorry, I can't offer anything on the feeding habits of predators either but I can relate a story.

A number of years ago we had an indoor/outdoor cat like yours. She disappeared one day and like you, we searched and called to no avail. Two weeks later she struggled home just "fur-and-bones". We kept a collar on her and apparently while "exploring" in the woods, she snagged the collar on a branch or something. In the struggle she managed to get one of her front legs through the collar so now it was around her neck and shoulder and the branch.

She was in real bad shape but survived to live another 10 years to a ripe old age of 15 before she died.

Hope your story has a happy ending too.

WVBill

p.s. The moral of the story is that if you have a cat that spends time outdoors, if you must give it a collar, make it one of the stretchy elastic ones so it can't get permanently hung up on things.

/ Coyotes/Cats #5  
Cats are strange and wondorous creatures. OK, that's my wife talking. I think they're arrogant as all get out and real strange, although I will conceed they are interesting. Anyway, our cat used to disappear for 3, 4, 5 days at a time. At first we were like you and tried to find her and my two daughters always assumed she had been killed by some mean wild beast. She's about 10 now and still disappears on occasion, but generally only for a day or two. She's a house cat when she chooses to be and an outdoor cat when she chooses to be.

All that being said, there's probably hope for your cat. They're pretty good at living on their own and seem to know how to avoid trouble, when they choose to. Hopefully yours will show up soon. Ours always has.

Bob Pence

/ Coyotes/Cats
I appreciate all your feedback. But, a couple of things to add...The cat is about 3 years old. She also seemed wise to the world (I've heard coyotes in the area call out and seen her immediately react by climbing to the upper deck). Her food is in the house and is not one to miss a meal. This weekend was fairly cold, she loves a warm bed. I may check with the neighbors to see if she maybe got chased by something and found residence elsewhere. Thanks all.

/ Coyotes/Cats #7  
pdxman, don't know about your cat in particular, but we have lost at least 1/2 dozen or so to coyotes over the past few years, we always held out some hope that they would come back, but they never did (your milage may vary).

We gave up having cats for quite a while but finally decided to get another one for the kids, but this one never goes out.

We have coyotes (packs of them) around ALL the time.

Just the other day I had to go out and fire a few rounds from my pistol over the heads of a pack that were chasing my dog around (actually I couldn't tell who was chasing who cause they were going in circles). My dog, being the bright animal that he is, upon hearing the shots immediately retreated into the woods alongside the coyotes...he did eventually come pack unharmed.

PS: Never have found any remains either.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by ejb on 11/13/00 05:14 PM.</FONT></P>

/ Coyotes/Cats #8  
pdxman,
If it was coyotes than chances are you won't find the cat,for once they have kill there small prey they will hide whats left,also the mother coyotes are teaching there young on the art of living.
If you should locate some coyotes dropping check for fur.

Do you have owls and hawks in your area,mostly gray horn owls?
For owls also will try to make a cat its prey.

I hope you don't have fisher cats in your area,for they won't leave until all food is gone.

Don't leave any pet food of any kind outside day or night!!

Up in this area coyotes have move into towns and talking small pets,also the new born fawns this year have been prey upon.

I do hope your daughters cat returns.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Coyotes/Cats
Owl? Thats interesting. There has been an owl in the area. I have not seen it, but heard it and lost a duck to it (it was in an enclosed pen except for the top). Would an owl go after a medium size calico? I am unsure what type of owls we have in the pacific northwest. I can justify killing a coyote, but not an owl.

/ Coyotes/Cats #10  
A full grown gray horn owl has been known to attack cats..ducks..small dogs also will and have kill full grown rabbits also turkeys in this area.
Mostly one area might have up two owls,but coyotes if you see one there more you didn't see.
If your cat returns home have it check out at the Vet a.s.a.p....be careful!!

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif