best log splitter for 1500 - 1800?

/ best log splitter for 1500 - 1800? #1  

donn12

Platinum Member
Tractor
B2920 TLB turfs and loaded ags
I am going to get one of these soon and I have been thinking about the 22 or 35 ton units from TSC (Huskee?). Any others to consider? Just me and a neighbor using it sporadically but some of the trees are pretty big. I have about 40 decent size trees that I need to split right off the bat then just maintenance.

Thanks!

/ best log splitter for 1500 - 1800? #2  
I got this one 30 Ton Log Splitter w/ 9 HP Engine from HF 4 yrs ago for $995 it was on sale and I had a coupon it is now $1700 ($1360 with a 20%off coupon)

It will split horizontal or vertical. I have always used it in vertical mode. Very Very powerful (30 Ton) if the hydro pump has gone to 2nd stage more then 10 time I would be surprised.

Mine came with a Subaru motor, very happy with it. Starts easy runs great and I only run it at about %50 throttle.

We cut and split about 4 cord (+ or -) or red oak every year. We burn 24" logs and this will split up to 25"

/ best log splitter for 1500 - 1800? #3  
Some things to consider, the placement of the engine, etc. in relation to where you stand to set the logs in place. Some makes such as the Cub Cadet & Troybuilt (same things) have stuff in the way so you can't stand with the log square in front of you. And wheels and fenders are right behind you waiting for you to step back and trip. Another thing to check is placement of the valve handle--do you want to operate it with your right or left hand? Some makes have the valve on the side so you must use your right hand on it, others have it on top so you can stand on either side and work from whichever position suits you.

/ best log splitter for 1500 - 1800? #4  
No personal experience but bought my Dad a Cub Cadet 27 Ton with the Honda motor around 2-3 years ago.
He absolutely LOVES the thing, always ranting and raving how powerful it is, always starts right up, and uses little fuel. Don't think he's ever had to use it in vertical mode.
It's the only Cub I could get him, otherwise he's a JD guy.....:D:laughing:

I think I paid $1200 for it.

There's one on Ebay now but they want 1900, and 120 for shipping. Think you can do better on price.

Good luck!

/ best log splitter for 1500 - 1800? #6  
I have a Speedco hydraulic splitter I hook up to the tractor. One less engine to maintain.

I forget the "tonnage" but it might be 15-20 tons. It has split everything I have thrown at it.

I built a bench to hold the splitter. The table keeps the splitter and a stack of rounds to split at just the right height so I do not have to bend over to split. Unfortunately the bench keeps me from moving the splitter to vertical to split really large pieces. I either split the large rounds into quarters manually or roll them up on to the bench.

DR sent me a catalog this week and they now have a bunch of splitters including large electric ones, gas powered, and hydraulic. Might be worth checking out.

Funny thing was that I was thinking about a large electric powered splitter might be interesting since I could hook up the DR powered generator I have to run it from time to time. A few months later DR has one in the catalog. I did not pay much attention to their splitters since I have one. Their hydraulic splitter was a bit over $800 which is about what I paid for mine.

Later,
Dan

/ best log splitter for 1500 - 1800? #7  
Tractor mounted splitters have pros and cons. Plenty of power, but most I have seen can only be used in the horizontal position. Being able to tip it upright is a really nice feature when you are splitting a 26" log.

For the non-tractor type, the Speeco has a really good arrangement with clear access to the splitting area--no wheels or engine in the way.

/ best log splitter for 1500 - 1800? #8  
Going on my 5th season with a TSC 35 ton B&S powered.......zero problems with perhaps a total of 50 true 4X4X8 cords split.............I turn off the gas after each use and let it run dry. I use stabil in my gas can so everything gets it on a regular basis and always drain the tank or run dry................

Anyway......vertical or horizontal...........all works well and strong for splitting HUGE hickory and oak forks or just the normal 12" plus stuff that I work at all day............

God bless........Dennis

/ best log splitter for 1500 - 1800? #9  
Tractor mounted splitters have pros and cons. Plenty of power, but most I have seen can only be used in the horizontal position. Being able to tip it upright is a really nice feature when you are splitting a 26" log.

For the non-tractor type, the Speeco has a really good arrangement with clear access to the splitting area--no wheels or engine in the way.

The Speedco hydraulic splitter I bought can go upright. The other units I looked at could as well.

I have seen both tractor mount and engine run splitters that will and will not move upright. Just have to check if it is an important feature.

Later,
Dan

/ best log splitter for 1500 - 1800? #10  
Some things to consider, the placement of the engine, etc. in relation to where you stand to set the logs in place. Some makes such as the Cub Cadet & Troybuilt (same things) have stuff in the way so you can't stand with the log square in front of you. And wheels and fenders are right behind you waiting for you to step back and trip. Another thing to check is placement of the valve handle--do you want to operate it with your right or left hand? Some makes have the valve on the side so you must use your right hand on it, others have it on top so you can stand on either side and work from whichever position suits you.

This is an important point. The best H/V splitters will allow you to comfortably stand to split wood while the table is horizontal because the beam sits out far enough to clear the tires. I have not seen many that do this. You want nothing in the way to have to negotiate while holding a round of wood while using it horizontally.