Inverter Generators

/ Inverter Generators #1  

BobRip

Elite Member
Tractor
2000 Power Trac 422
I recently purchased a Champion 2000 peak watt, 1600 continuous watts inverter generator. I plan to use it to run a small refrigerator and small freezer and my solar hot water pump during power outages. I got it after Irene. Its main advantage is quiet and lower fuel consumption. I expect it will also run the TV and some lights. It will run for abut 9 hours on a gallon of gas at 25% of full load.

What experience have others had using inverter generators?

/ Inverter Generators #2  
They work great for continuous load, but don't have the surge capacity of a conventional generator. Test it to make sure it will handle the starting surge on your refrigerator and freezer. At best, it's likely you will have to run one at a time. Your solar circulation pump should be tiny, and probably won't be a problem.

/ Inverter Generators #3  
Good Afternoon Bob,
My wife and I also succumed to generator fever after Irene. I was actually just running it out in the driveway before reading your post ! ;)

We have propane heat here, along with our woodstove, so we went with a small propane unit. 3500 watts peak and 3000 constant. Im hoping it will handle my cellar sump pump, two refrigerators and a couple of lights. I think you can see where Im going on the sump pump front... the cellar only stays dry when we have AC !!! :(;):)

I like the idea of not having to lug fuel cans, and also not worry about gummed up carburators...

Good luck with your unit !

/ Inverter Generators #4  
I've got one of the Honda EU2000i generators. Got it to run our refrigerator plus a few lights during power outages. We heat with a woodstove, so heat is never an issue even in winter. After much browsing online, I made an external gas tank using a six gallon outboard tank, so it will now run for days on one fill of the tank. One great bonus with the Hondas..... they have a fuel pump. Eventually I'll get something large enough to run more of the house, along with the electric hot water heater so we can shower when the power is out. So far, we have dodged the bullet during the past couple big ice storms. We had neighbors a block away without power for 6 - 8 days while our lights never even flickered.

/ Inverter Generators #5  
What little I know about inverter generators is that if you are going to run your computer or TV on a generator it should be hooked to an inverter generator. Our generator is not inverter and we won't run our computers or TV on it.

/ Inverter Generators #6  
Would like to see your boat-gas set-up for the Honda. I've got the same one.

I've got one of the Honda EU2000i generators. Got it to run our refrigerator plus a few lights during power outages. We heat with a woodstove, so heat is never an issue even in winter. After much browsing online, I made an external gas tank using a six gallon outboard tank, so it will now run for days on one fill of the tank. One great bonus with the Hondas..... they have a fuel pump. Eventually I'll get something large enough to run more of the house, along with the electric hot water heater so we can shower when the power is out. So far, we have dodged the bullet during the past couple big ice storms. We had neighbors a block away without power for 6 - 8 days while our lights never even flickered.

/ Inverter Generators #7  
Another plus with Inverter Generators is they can be combined... Honda sells a wire harness for that... you can put two of the 2000 together... as an example.

/ Inverter Generators #8  
What little I know about inverter generators is that if you are going to run your computer or TV on a generator it should be hooked to an inverter generator. Our generator is not inverter and we won't run our computers or TV on it.

I ran the plasma flat screen off of the Coleman gen. Didn't try to run the computer but it would not run the washer.

/ Inverter Generators #9  
Honda makes a good 2000 watt inverter generator. The Westinghouse brand model, at half the price, is not worth the money.

/ Inverter Generators #10  
I recently purchased a Champion 2000 peak watt, 1600 continuous watts inverter generator. I plan to use it to run a small refrigerator and small freezer and my solar hot water pump during power outages. I got it after Irene. Its main advantage is quiet and lower fuel consumption. I expect it will also run the TV and some lights. It will run for abut 9 hours on a gallon of gas at 25% of full load.

What experience have others had using inverter generators?

I don't think it matters that it's an inverter type, sounds to me like you are asking to much from such a small genny. There was another thread recently where a guy couldn't get the fridge to run with small generator. I guess his was a full size fridge but you are saying a fridge and a freezer?

We have propane heat here, along with our woodstove, so we went with a small propane unit. 3500 watts peak and 3000 constant. Im hoping it will handle my cellar sump pump, two refrigerators and a couple of lights. I think you can see where Im going on the sump pump front... the cellar only stays dry when we have AC !!! :(;):)

Hey Scotty,

Not all at once, I'm almost certain of that.

I just called the Zoeller pump company Thursday for a lady that was interested in a generator just for her sump pump. Their 1/3 hp model is the industry standard pump we use around here.

They told me that pump needs up to 3000 watts for start up.
I was recommending one of those nice little Honda 2000 watt machines cause they are light and quiet, simple to use, good for an older woman to handle, but I'm not sure of what their start up capacity is?

JB.

Last edited: