Burning Southern yellow pine in a catalyst wood stove?

/ Burning Southern yellow pine in a catalyst wood stove? #1  

clemsonfor

Tractor
Yanmar YM2000
My question is basically is it going to cause any ill effects to burn pine in my catalyst wood stove? As a forester i know about wood types the resin content etc of the various types of woods. The main reason we dont burn pine is the amout of crosote it puts out as well as it burns fast and dosent put off as much heat as your oak and hickory, it burns really hot really fast, not hot for long. But having the catalyst in the stove to reburn the crosote and smoke i would think that even my smoke up the chimney would be far less than open burning oak in an open fireplace even.

I ask cause this early part of the year and in the spring i could throw some pine in to save my good oak for the really cool months. Pine is so easy to get with beetle killed trees along every road where i cut wood. So what if i have to load it twice for every time with my oak.

My main concerns are how much faster do you think it will plug up the catalyst and will it indeed reduce the crosote in the smoke to an acceptable level? Id love to hear your thoughts.

/ Burning Southern yellow pine in a catalyst wood stove? #2  
Watch your flue pipe temp,
build up is a function of temperature, or lack there of. hot is good ;-)

Build the pine fire small, let it burn hot and fast, then build another when the heat wears out. Perfect to break a morning chill, same for the evening when darkness cools things down. Build a small fire that runs for an hour or two, then go to bed!
Set out your kindling for the morning, to get things going while the coffee pot is getting hot ;-)

Burn what you want, enjoy the heat.

there is more heat in a ton of soft wood than in a ton of hard wood (generalization)
That ton is bigger in soft wood though ;-)

/ Burning Southern yellow pine in a catalyst wood stove? #3  
Build the pine fire small, let it burn hot and fast, then build another when the heat wears out. Perfect to break a morning chill, same for the evening when darkness cools things down. Build a small fire that runs for an hour or two, then go to bed!
Set out your kindling for the morning, to get things going while the coffee pot is getting hot ;-)

I cut branches and stack them in the wood shed. People think I'm nuts, because there isn't much wood in them, but I can toss a few 2" rounds in the stove and open the draft, and in just a few minutes the stove is hot. I have a big fire box, and can burn a couple 10" rounds when I go to bed, so there is always a nice bed of coals in the morning. Lots of days the sun through the south windows heats the house all day. I leave the heat pump set at 65 degrees, but it rarely comes on.

/ Burning Southern yellow pine in a catalyst wood stove? #4  
Czechs and Europe in general burns pine and fir in truckloads, but we have stone/brick chimneys - not sleeved two by fours.

/ Burning Southern yellow pine in a catalyst wood stove? #5  
Temperature of the flue gasses is the important item in flue depositions; not the type of wood.:)

/ Burning Southern yellow pine in a catalyst wood stove?
So far i havent heard from anyone really from the south. Our softwoods(pine) are very different that canadian and western species. The resin content is way higher than in the "whitwoods" its also much denser. Im not saying what your saying may not be ture but they are entirely different, go to lowes and pick up a SYP 2x8 then a whitewood 2x8, there is a huge difference in weight, much of that resin.

I guess the other problem with pine is that it seems to degrade very fast if not under a shed! I have a shed so thats not really a concern.

/ Burning Southern yellow pine in a catalyst wood stove? #7  
For some reason I've been under the impresssion that Southern Yellow Pine make's good Boat Planking Material due to it's resistance to rotting.:)

Note: Northern Pine boat planking has a short life in warmer waters. Mainly due to Marine Borer's.

It weigh's almost the same as Hard Maple so it should have very good burning qualities.

The Pitch should make burning easier. ie: pitch pine kindling??:)

/ Burning Southern yellow pine in a catalyst wood stove? #8  
idk..i dont think id burn it in my vermont casting stove. i do burn pine for outside fires and it smokes heavy and hot like ya said.
i dont know for sure but id be afraid of the sap sticking up the internal dampners and stuff. mine has all that dampners and draft devices inside...

/ Burning Southern yellow pine in a catalyst wood stove? #9  
We have burned Georgia pine in our fireplace for over 30 yrs. and the chimney and flu are as clean as a whistle...I get on the roof every fall and look down and lower a light and there is no creosote build up at all..We burn hot fires with the pine and we also burn Oak and Hickory for those special occasions but mostly pine...never , ever had a build up of creosote or a problem..I talked to the forester I use to cut down dangerous trees that I can't tackle and I asked him and he said to check the Ga. forestry internet site and I did and they basically said it was a myth about creosote build up burning pine..I have lost that link but if you Google for it ..you should find it..It might have been the University of Georgia, Georgia Ag. or Georgia Forestry...can't remember but I read it.

/ Burning Southern yellow pine in a catalyst wood stove?
We have burned Georgia pine in our fireplace for over 30 yrs. and the chimney and flu are as clean as a whistle...I get on the roof every fall and look down and lower a light and there is no creosote build up at all..We burn hot fires with the pine and we also burn Oak and Hickory for those special occasions but mostly pine...never , ever had a build up of creosote or a problem..I talked to the forester I use to cut down dangerous trees that I can't tackle and I asked him and he said to check the Ga. forestry internet site and I did and they basically said it was a myth about creosote build up burning pine..I have lost that link but if you Google for it ..you should find it..It might have been the University of Georgia, Georgia Ag. or Georgia Forestry...can't remember but I read it.

Its a Georga forestry publication i think in conjunction with UGA and USFS. I actually have a copy sitting in my office on a file cabinent behind me. I saw it today. I have read it. If i think right green HW was the worst or was it dry HW? But it was burned in a dampered down stove i beleive? I will relook at it and if i think about it i will either find the link or make it into a pdf and post it here for all. I had forgot about that paper untill you posted this. I read it fully about 6 years ago.