Shotgun

/ Shotgun #1  

orezok

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
I'm looking to buy a 20ga single shot shotgun to keep in the barn to dispatch varmints (4 legged kind). I figure if I don't get them on the first shot, I probably won't get them on the 2nd, 3rd, etc.

Anyway, my local sporting good store has H&R and Rossi for about $129 and EAA for about $100. The H&R is the best looking as to quality appearance.

Anyone have any experience with any of these. It will be a minimal use gun . Probably less that 20 shots a year.

/ Shotgun #2  
Go to the pawn shop. A visual inspection should be adequate for a single shot shotgun. Why buy a new shotgun to keep in the barn?

/ Shotgun #3  
Go to the pawn shop. A visual inspection should be adequate for a single shot shotgun. Why buy a new shotgun to keep in the barn?
I agree. If you are going to keep the shotgun in the barn, just make sure that you keep it clean and lubricated and in a case. I don't know if they are still manufactured or not, but my first shotgun was a Stevens 20 GA single shot. I still have it and use it today. And that was 53 years ago. A lot of memories with that gun. Good Luck.

/ Shotgun

I've checked that out and they want more for a beat up 30 year old one than a new one. Go figure!

/ Shotgun #5  
A cheap pump or even a double barrel would be better.

You never know when you might need a follow up shot.

Used pumps are usually dirt cheap. Just look for an ugly one that still functions.

/ Shotgun #6  
I had an H & R Topper model 158 for many years. I only had the 20 gauge shotgun and 30-30 rifle barrels for it, although you could also get the 12 gauge and .22 Hornet barrels. I believe I bought it in 1969, and if I'd had any idea how valuable they were becoming I wouldn't have sold it so cheap 9 years ago.:laughing:

/ Shotgun #7  
We've got a couple old Winchester model 37 12 gauges, and a third one in 20 gauge. Great old guns, tough as nails.

Sean

/ Shotgun #8  
Though more than you probably need I luv my 870 Remmy's.
Got one in camo,one in wood.Might be one of the best pump action scatter guns of all time. Just MO.

Boone

/ Shotgun #9  
Like the others I would rather have the pumpgun, but if your heart is set on the single-barrel I would get the H & R. I have used them and the Stevens as a kid. They work.. But a good Mossberg 500 is about 125 maybe 150 for a good used one. They are a tough old gun, maybe not 870 quality, but still good. I have 2.

James K0UA

/ Shotgun #10  
Though more than you probably need I luv my 870 Remmy's.
Got one in camo,one in wood.Might be one of the best pump action scatter guns of all time. Just MO.

Boone

That would normally be my first choice, too, but for a cheap gun for the barn?????