High Tension power lines

/ High Tension power lines #1  

weesa20

Silver Member
Looking at a piece of property that can be had for a steal (2-2500/acre) which is cheap around me (land usually starts at around 10k/acre)...problem is 1) unknown perk status (would be tested before closing and if no perk-no deal) 2) high tension power lines and easment run through proprty and take up about 1/4 of the land. I know folks on the other ends of the property with the same easment hay under the power lines or use it as a pasture, just not sure if it is a good idea or not. any thoughts or experience with this type of situation. If we build the house would be as far away from the lines as possible.

Thanks for any input.

Weesy

Attachments

• power line image.jpg
    power line image.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 631
   / High Tension power lines #2  
I'm no expert, but from my understanding, those high voltage lines put out an electromagnetic field that supposedly has been linked to some cancers in people, and breeding problems etc in livestock.
On the other hand, I know people around here that have similar property, that I hay for them and they haven't had any problems. I guess it might be worth some research in the medical and veterinary fields.

/ High Tension power lines #3  
Many factors to consider around lines...What level are they transmitting?(not all the same) What is the future expansion? How old are they? What company owns the management agreement? Is a "buffer zone" specified? If so, how big?
There is a lot if good and bad information out there...I would hire an attorney that is knowledgeable in the area to look over the existing agreement and any provisions for automatic "amendments" that are in place right now before I made an offer on the land.

/ High Tension power lines #4  
I'm no expert, but from my understanding, those high voltage lines put out an electromagnetic field that supposedly has been linked to some cancers in people, and breeding problems etc in livestock.
On the other hand, I know people around here that have similar property, that I hay for them and they haven't had any problems. I guess it might be worth some research in the medical and veterinary fields.

Most of the high tension line/cancer links have been discounted...however, not all..do some reading on this.

Here's a start:
Danger Overhead - TIME
This study suggests there may be a link to leukemia in children.

/ High Tension power lines #5  
I'm no expert, but my logic says that if there is not high enough energy to produce x-rays (which rapidly dissipate) or arcing that sends off bursts of RF, then the lines would be safe. Wouldn't there be wildlife developing these problems and wouldn't workers in generating plants have cancer rates over the top? This is just my opinion and not based on any knowledge, but I would far more concerned with easement restrictions than the power lines. If the property is good for what I want to do and a bargain price, I'd go forward with the deal.

I'm a bit more concerned with the notch out of the frontage. It seems that somebody has taken the premo spot and sold it off for a homesite. The affect of that property and how it is maintained will reflect on your property. With such a small frontage, if the notch property ever becomes an eyesore, nobody will want your property because of the looks of the property you don't own. However, if the neigbor keeps their property really nice, that could have a huge benefit to your property. What is it they say? "You pays your money and you takes your chances.";)

I am curious about the length of the frontage and other dimensions of he tract. Having the powerline easement will give you cleared access at any point along the length so that you don't have to build a road through solid woods. That's surely a plus.

It sounds to me like you are doing a lot of research and also asking for help from folks who have experience. I think you'll find good advice here from TBNers.:)

/ High Tension power lines #6  
I have never seen any scientific proof that power lines cause any problems unless you come into contact with them. However, most people believe in things that have no evidence at all. When you consider resale value, you need to consider these (most)people.

/ High Tension power lines #7  
Does that dirt road the runs along the power lines provide access to other properties? Looks like there i something right under the red 'Power Lines' arrow?

Is it/can you put a fence and gate or does the power line easement prohibit that? I ask because it looks like a prime 'ATV play' spot and not much to stop them from going all over the rest of the property.

/ High Tension power lines #8  
I live down the road from some. I can't stand them. They buzz and crackle when the weather is not right.

The easement they have allowed them to "upgrade" the lines. What that meant is they built another set of towers 110 feet higher than the originals. They then took down the originals, so now there are two sets. Since they are new, they shine like crazy.

Avoid at all costs.

/ High Tension power lines #9  
I have a 150' high power line easement that crosses near the rear of my property. It is a half mile from my home so I am not too worried about it.

I don't know if there is or is not any danger being around this power line for extended periods of time but I do know one thing: If you take an 8' fluorescent light bulb and stand in the bed of a pick up truck and hold the bulb straight up when you are under the lowest part of the wire, which is still about 10' above the top of the bulb, the bulb will light up.

I guess I could light up this section of my pasture for free if I mounted the bulbs on sticks stuck in the ground, I just can't think of any good reason to do it. :confused:

/ High Tension power lines #10  
We have multiple high tension lines running through our property. I have my tower stand right off the edge of one of them. I have hunted around and under them for years. I have pastures, vineyards and crops under them as well. The power company doesn't care and actually prefer us to take care of the ground under the lines so that if they ever needed to work on them they have easy access. They also don't have to worry about trimming trees or cutting under the lines when its kept maintained. The best part of it for us is that its free land for us since it cut through our property but the power company owns it. So we have access to the ground and no taxes with it. The power company comes check the lines every so often but for the most part they are some of the best neighbors you could have as they only show up to make sure everything is ok or to maintain the property.