Good morning!!!!

/ Good morning!!!! #13,811  
Unless you're on a bicycle. Then it's heck on your tush. Hate the stuff.

We have a chip road and I have a bicycle and it's smooth as can be. I wonder if they do these roads different ways in different places?

/ Good morning!!!! #13,812  
68F. .07 since midnight, sun shining

Off to breakfast and farmer market in Waimea
Have a great day

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ Good morning!!!! #13,813  
P1020239.jpgP1020237.jpgtoday's pepper report, more of the same, plus we picked up at the local farm market fifty ears of local SilverQueen to put away for the winter. 50 ears, 20cents each. Seemed pretty reasonable to me.
Those heat seal bags really work well for this. Home made chicken corn soup in the middle of winter. Yum.

/ Good morning!!!! #13,814  
We have a chip road and I have a bicycle and it's smooth as can be. I wonder if they do these roads different ways in different places?

I wondered about that too. I grew up riding my bicycle on very smooth chip roads in NW Ohio.

I've never seen a chip road here in Maine. They are either crushed stone (referred to as a "dirt" road for good reasons :laughing:) or asphalt which cracks up, chunks out, and gets deep dips that are best dodged by small cars. Not to mention the late winter frost heaves.

/ Good morning!!!! #13,815  
Jim - It is a racket......A capacitor costs around $14.00 on line...When mine went out my HVAC guy charged my $225.00....Service call, labor and markup on the part is what his Tech. said when I pointed out to him a capacitor was only $20...he corrected me and said ..No, actually we only pay $14 for the capacitor.......Ugggggggg ! Let me know if he charges you as much as my guy charged me...

My guy charged me $75 once and $95 the next time. He has to drive about 30 miles round trip, so those prices are a bargain in my book. Trouble is, he is doing a new install on a deadline and will be working until late tonight. He won't be able to get to me until Monday morning. I called another place to see if they'll just sell me a capacitor, but haven't heard back from them. I just ordered two replacement capacitors through Amazon for around $35 with free shipping. I'm not going to get caught again like this on the hottest day of the summer so far. I have a separate system in my basement and we'll just sleep down there tonight. I also have an 18k btu unit I could hang in a window, but that's too much hassle for two days of sleeping on air mattresses in the basement. We can make it just fine until Monday and the next time I'll be prepared. This just seems to happen every three to four years on co-op power that browns out and drops out often. Even so, my highest electric bill in the summer is around $300 and a little less in the winter. My normal bill is around $200/mo. I can live with a few blips for those prices.

/ Good morning!!!! #13,816  
I wondered about that too. I grew up riding my bicycle on very smooth chip roads in NW Ohio.

I've never seen a chip road here in Maine. They are either crushed stone (referred to as a "dirt" road for good reasons :laughing:) or asphalt which cracks up, chunks out, and gets deep dips that are best dodged by small cars. Not to mention the late winter frost heaves.

Yup, front end alignment at least once a year, steering wheels never on center and forget about driving and drinking coffee unless it's in a sippy cup. You'll be wearing it even if on the best road in town. When I got here--Ohio-- from Maine I went in for my typical alignment and the guy asked "why"? Duh, that was over 10 years ago and no alignment since.

I recall driving those "dirt" roads that are actually bank run gravel with rocks and having the paint sandblasted off the back of the wheel openings on my truck. Sigh. And it's not uncommon to see the edges of logs peeking out of the edge of the road surface from the old "corduroy" roads.

But, the Great State of Maine has so many things going for it that it's worth putting up with these somewhat disappointing inconveniences for the sake of living in the beauty of it all.

Actual Maine story...

Edit--I'll mention I hit the mother of all frost heaves back in Detroit, Maine back in the mid 1970's. I was going way too fast on a spring day and nearly, or maybe did go airborne. I landed in an uncontrollable slide and knew something was amiss right away. I broke the back cab mounts off and bent the rusty frame on my old GMC pickup.

I had no money, absolutely none, so the kind soul in the local country gas station took pity and was going to stick weld and plate the frame for me. When he went to flip his hood down to get started, the rod hit the fuel line and a small pencil sized stream of gas was pouring out and on fire. He started the lift down and I tried to smother it with a pail of old gear oil (I was a kid). He actually pushed it the last foot off the lift and into the yard of the station and we got the fire out.

It gets worse because he had heart trouble and had some sort of attack or whatever right there in the yard. I called the squad--things were different in the 1970's--and told them Ken's garage in Newport. Little did I know we were actually in Palmyra by 15 or so feet and there indeed was a separate Ken's garage in Newport proper, 10 miles away. They went to the wrong place.

He recovered fine and we stayed great friends for the rest of his long life. Oh, some of the starter wires had burned and until he could fix it for me (I was dumb back then as well), I had to push start it by parking on hills when I went to work. My friend and I gave it a little push and downhill we popped the clutch. And we did it wearing nice suits. Good grief, how did we ever live this long. True story.

Last edited:
   / Good morning!!!! #13,817  
Six thats a great story on our each and individual characteristics that many of us have, that so few youth these days display, whether or not they have it is a different story.
It was done out of necessity and drive. That's what you do when you don't have a handout on every corner, cellphones included.
Great story, sorry for the rant. I follow you all daily and pm some of you.

GOD bless

/ Good morning!!!! #13,818  
Sixdogs,

I don't know how we survived this long either. :laughing: That's a good Maine story. I have no trouble believing it is true, and probably could still happen today, at least until the stickah runs out. :D

When my son was riding the school bus in Wells, this would be 20-some years after your adventure, the kids all knew when to stand up before hitting particularly vicious frost heaves. It was just easier to stand up than be thrown up.

/ Good morning!!!! #13,819  
My guy charged me $75 once and $95 the next time. He has to drive about 30 miles round trip, so those prices are a bargain in my book. Trouble is, he is doing a new install on a deadline and will be working until late tonight. He won't be able to get to me until Monday morning. I called another place to see if they'll just sell me a capacitor, but haven't heard back from them. I just ordered two replacement capacitors through Amazon for around $35 with free shipping. I'm not going to get caught again like this on the hottest day of the summer so far. I have a separate system in my basement and we'll just sleep down there tonight. I also have an 18k btu unit I could hang in a window, but that's too much hassle for two days of sleeping on air mattresses in the basement. We can make it just fine until Monday and the next time I'll be prepared. This just seems to happen every three to four years on co-op power that browns out and drops out often. Even so, my highest electric bill in the summer is around $300 and a little less in the winter. My normal bill is around $200/mo. I can live with a few blips for those prices.

Jim, That makes me sick....I am getting really ripped off....is is hard to install a capacitor ? What do I take the cover off outside and then...where is it located and how do I know if that is what the problem is...? It seems like I replace one of these every couple of years..so if I can install it myself ...I will order a couple from Amazon myself....You think I can do it ?

/ Good morning!!!! #13,820  
Sixdogs, I bought an old Pinto when I came home from the Navy. It was as cheap as a plane ticket, and I did have a little stuff to bring with me. For a couple of years I did odd jobs to keep the lights on, and spent the rest of my time on the Chipola River. When the starter on the Pinto went out, the $30 for a rebuilt one was out of my price range. For almost two months I started it with the two concrete blocks and 2X8's in the trunk. When I went to the store, or anywhere else, I would open the trunk with my extra key, take the ramps out and back her up on them. Most of the people making fun of me didn't have any kind of car at all. I would just laugh as I got my six pack, crickets and worms, then head to the river as they were working.