Good morning!!!!

/ Good morning!!!! #13,821  
Sixdogs,

I don't know how we survived this long either. :laughing: That's a good Maine story. I have no trouble believing it is true, and probably could still happen today, at least until the stickah runs out. :D

When my son was riding the school bus in Wells, this would be 20-some years after your adventure, the kids all knew when to stand up before hitting particularly vicious frost heaves. It was just easier to stand up than be thrown up.

When my daughter was in grade school and had a really old bus driver, he had the kids get off the bus to clear any branches from storms that might be blocking the road. I think the guy was in his 80's or so. You really could write a book about Maine characters and it seemed that everyone was odd to some degree. Well, except you and me.

Sixdogs, I bought an old Pinto when I came home from the Navy. It was as cheap as a plane ticket, and I did have a little stuff to bring with me. For a couple of years I did odd jobs to keep the lights on, and spent the rest of my time on the Chipola River. When the starter on the Pinto went out, the $30 for a rebuilt one was out of my price range. For almost two months I started it with the two concrete blocks and 2X8's in the trunk. When I went to the store, or anywhere else, I would open the trunk with my extra key, take the ramps out and back her up on them. Most of the people making fun of me didn't have any kind of car at all. I would just laugh as I got my six pack, crickets and worms, then head to the river as they were working.

That is great and very creative. Wish I thought of that instead of parking on a death defying hill.
I recall riding with a guy in what I recall was a Pinto--maybe a Vega---and we had to put newspaper and cardboard over the holes in the front floor to maintain cabin integrity and keep some of the cold out. What a great car...:rolleyes:

/ Good morning!!!! #13,822  
Hey! At least some of us were able to pop the clutch. Most of the drivers of today don't know how to drive a standard shift.

I agree, we grew up in a time of making things work, or doing without. I don't think it hurt any of us!

/ Good morning!!!! #13,823  
It's 73 F out with a nice breeze. I just left a message for my Air Conditioning guy to come fix my central air. It quit at 2 AM. Seems to be a start/run capacitor. For now, doors/windows open and ceiling fans make it very comfortable, but with 101 F predicted this afternoon, I may spend a lot of time in my basement game room with separate AC if the repairman is delayed in coming.

Hey Jim, remember that advice you gave me to keep a spare capacitor on hand? Good advice!!!!!!:D

Mostly sunny, 104˚.

Jim, My August and July electric bill were $150 each. (Same as my water bill.)

/ Good morning!!!! #13,824  
Tar and gravel or prime and double seal roads once they wear some will become smooth with usage as traffic will wear off loose stone leaving hard surface to run on

/ Good morning!!!! #13,825  
Hey! At least some of us were able to pop the clutch. Most of the drivers of today don't know how to drive a standard shift.

I agree, we grew up in a time of making things work, or doing without. I don't think it hurt any of us!

No it sure didn't. And you grew up at least...a decade after me, and likely two young lady. Perhaps it's more an issue of urban/suburban/rural/country orientation. Folks from farms and the land in general I believe are used to being self reliant. Just like their ancestors. They haven't forgotten basic hand skills, and teach them to their kids.

It's when the overly indulged due to wealth and supremely entitled due to social vanity, when those merge into a suburban mom bringing up teenage kids. With a father they don't see since he works so much. But it's ok, he gives them great gifts and thinks his little girl can do no wrong. And they have a huge house and a huge pool and well a huge everything.
Because it's all they know, because their parents allowed this sense of entitlement to get utterly out of hand. Like Asian carp infesting the local pond. Not sure what the cure is, when your world is judged on your material possessions, pretty hard to buck the tide. So like our local kids you drive your Dad's three year old Land Rover to school. He was glad because he then got a new Jag. And of course you have the latest smartphone and every Apple product on the market.

This is so alien to me personally, and I'm sure most of us. We just weren't born to such a generational distortion of entitlement. Our local farm land turned into suburbia, and the values of a family working the land seemed to disappear with it. On another thread recently I head someone refer to the religion of the land, that didn't care whether you went to a place of worship on Friday, Saturday or Sunday. I really liked that, and it resonated with me. And if you don't have your roots in the earth, particularly when one is flying far above it, one could wander without purpose, and even get lost.

enough of my philosophical blathering. Stick shift? you bet. I'm having a slightly delayed mid life crisis and a Mustang GT convertible with a stick might just do the trick. or something older with about 800 hp. Something interesting...
Charcoal grey, black or dark brown interior, and that hand massager we call a stick shift. Most importantly, it has nice pipes. Problem is the new dual clutch autos are simply better and higher performance. Maybe going a little slower and rowing through the gears is worth it, and a nice rev matcher for downshifts, well that can be heaven.

I just made a nice dessert for Nadene, she is yakking with her Mom, and the end of the day is near. A fine Saturday.

/ Good morning!!!! #13,826  
Six - what a great story. Memories of my own growing up in Maine, not all that far from Wells, as it was. We had an older classmate - Clifford. Well, ever since we were sophomores, Clifford had a 46 Ford convertible (he still has it to this day). Can't tell you how many times we'd drop a part, the rear, or blow the tranny in town and we'd have to push him home - luckily downhill from the town square.

David Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Good morning!!!! #13,827  
Managed to get a couple hours mowing in today. Such a beautiful day, too. Hopefully nice tomorrow and can get the mowing finished so the place looks nice for our Labor Day gathering - about 50 all bringing delectables for a potluck celebration. My wife and BIL both turned 60 this year, SIL and hubby celebrated 39 years wedded bliss last week and wife and I have 30th anniversary end of Sept - sounds like 4 good reasons to me. :)

David Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Good morning!!!! #13,828  
At our place in the Outer Banks for a week, will check in sometimes. Hot and humid tonight, better by mid week they say. Have a good day folks.

/ Good morning!!!! #13,829  
Hey six, if you had the old VW with a failed starter motor you simply jacked up a rear wheel, put it in 3rd gear, firmly grasped the wheel and spun it. The trick was to remember to put it out of gear before you dropped it off the jack. Now when the clutch cable broke changing gear, up or down, without the clutch was ok but getting it moving in the first place was an art. You had to unload the passengers, put it in 1st and crank the starter. The old 6 volt system wasn't up to much so you only got one shot at it. The passengers had to jump back in as you idled down the road. I had a lot of experience with both of these practices. :thumbsup:

/ Good morning!!!! #13,830  
66 degrees going up into the 80's, clouds and some sun!
Taking the dock out today and then start the closing down process
Another summer in the books!