Good morning!!!!

/ Good morning!!!! #13,841  
It wasn't long ago I was threatening both couples with lessons on procreation. :laughing:
Now one is 4 1/2 and one is almost 2. So it goes quickly.

/ Good morning!!!! #13,842  
RoyJackson wow Dave Brubeck had not heard that name in a long time used to listen to him in 70s good stuff. No work yesterday laid around all day. Hopefully ankle will be better soon. Had a big thunderstorm yesterday afternoon more on tap for today wishing was at the coast

/ Good morning!!!! #13,843  
RoyJackson wow Dave Brubeck had not heard that name in a long time used to listen to him in 70s good stuff.

I was never into jazz in the '70's...mostly R&R and C&W. I was perusing Youtube and just clicked on Brubek's "Take 5" and then more of his music. As with most folks, our tastes evolve (or devolve) over the years.

/ Good morning!!!! #13,844  
Jim, That makes me sick....I am getting really ripped off....is is hard to install a capacitor ? What do I take the cover off outside and then...where is it located and how do I know if that is what the problem is...? It seems like I replace one of these every couple of years..so if I can install it myself ...I will order a couple from Amazon myself....You think I can do it ?

Bob, most all air conditioners that I've ever seen have a cover easily removed to access the control box. Inside that box will be one or two capacitors. The compressor has a larger capacitor (35 to 40 uF) and the condenser coil fan motor has another smaller value capacitor (normally 5 uF). You will either have two caps or a dual capacitor. My system has a dual (45/5 uF). You have to be very careful to see how the old capacitor(s) is/are installed and install the new one(s) exactly the same. If you have individual capacitors, then that is much easier. If you get the wrong connections on the dual capacitors, you'll have a mess on your hands.

So, you need to know the type and value of the capacitors so you can order them from Amazon or on eBay. Check your system to see what is needed. If you can't figure it out, then you need to let somebody else do it. Whatever you do, always pull your disconnect or circuit breaker before working on the innards of your system. As with anything, there are better types of capacitors. If you can get one made in the USA, I'd buy that one.

/ Good morning!!!! #13,845  
Bob, most all air conditioners that I've ever seen have a cover easily removed to access the control box. Inside that box will be one or two capacitors. The compressor has a larger capacitor (35 to 40 uF) and the condenser coil fan motor has another smaller value capacitor (normally 5 uF). You will either have two caps or a dual capacitor. My system has a dual (45/5 uF). You have to be very careful to see how the old capacitor(s) is/are installed and install the new one(s) exactly the same. If you have individual capacitors, then that is much easier. If you get the wrong connections on the dual capacitors, you'll have a mess on your hands.

So, you need to know the type and value of the capacitors so you can order them from Amazon or on eBay. Check your system to see what is needed. If you can't figure it out, then you need to let somebody else do it. Whatever you do, always pull your disconnect or circuit breaker before working on the innards of your system. As with anything, there are better types of capacitors. If you can get one made in the USA, I'd buy that one.

Thanks Jim...I will ask a friend who is familiar with AC to help me the first time...

/ Good morning!!!! #13,846  
I'm a little concerned about novices playing with capacitors unless they are very careful to make sure the ones already in there are fully discharged. Now the a/c has been long off, so everything has drained down, but disconnecting all the juice for at least an hour ahead of time would be smart. The jolt from a big cap can really wake you up, and not like the nice cup of coffee you just had.

Assuming you are desoldering and resoldering, just be careful not to heat up the surrounding area too much, those little clip on heat sinks can help. Luckily an a/c circuit board is not miniaturized like the ones in our clock radios or whatever.

many, many Heathkits later...

slept way in this morning, very unusual for us, lulled back to sleep by thunderboomers. The best kind of sleep, curled up together.

/ Good morning!!!! #13,847  
Jim, My August and July electric bill were $150 each. (Same as my water bill.)

Don, the money you spent on insulating your house is paying off. I get envious of your bill until I realize that you have to pay a water bill too. My electric bill includes water since I have my own well. It also runs my aerobic septic system, so it is my electric/water/sewage bill, and that makes the amount seem very reasonable.

/ Good morning!!!! #13,848  
I was never into jazz in the '70's...mostly R&R and C&W. I was perusing Youtube and just clicked on Brubek's "Take 5" and then more of his music. As with most folks, our tastes evolve (or devolve) over the years.

I am a rock and roll baby with Motown thrown in but as my taste and pocket book got bigger jazz took over. I used to really be into stereo equipment not loud mind you just higher end stuff which led me to discover other types of music. Never into country though just not my thing. Still have some nice older stuff in equipment though. I think I am devolving

/ Good morning!!!! #13,849  
It wasn't long ago I was threatening both couples with lessons on procreation. :laughing:

Our son is 24 still in college may be dead and gone before grand kids for us at this rate

/ Good morning!!!! #13,850  

Our son is 24 still in college may be dead and gone before grand kids for us at this rate