Good morning!!!!

/ Good morning!!!!
#18,341  
Brin, for the first 15 years I was at the Civic Center, I spent far more time on the tractor than I did in the office. So I know it was taken care of back then. Since then it has had several operators, mostly the sons and fathers of whoever was the secretary at the time. It has got a few dings during those years, but it is still mechanically sound. We bought a 72" SCAG POWER EQUIPMENT - Turf Tiger Commercial Zero Turn Riding Mowers last fall. I have been trying since then to get an answer to my offer. But all of our Board Members are professional people, and it is hard for us to set up a meeting. My boss will go to one or two of them for everyday questions, but she wanted to wait for a real Board Meeting to bring the sale of the tractor to an official vote. I'm just glad they agreed. I will take a check with me to work this afternoon. I may drive the truck everyday, so when the work trailer is there, I can bring it on home.

Larro

Sounds like a good deal for all!

/ Good morning!!!! #18,342  
on and off snow flurries all day.
Spent an hour in the local Social Security office today.
I think half the people in there were coughing...

quite a cross section of the public in those offices.
I loved it when an older classily dressed guy in a black Mercedes pulled up with his
nicely coiffed wife. I had a chance to watch her face as she scanned the room and was not pleased with what she saw.
The unwashed. The coughers. The squabbling kids.
Take a number lady and try not to touch anything.

Actually it's my second time there, and once one gets past the waiting time, the people who work there are very capable and pleasant.
They were quite pleased to tell me of the $255 death benefit SS provides. I asked her how far back that number went, and she smiled and
said 1951. Nice. But even nicer was the increase to my monthly SS check due to my late wife's account providing an additional survivor benefit to me.
Another three hundred a month for at least a few years. That will put some gas in my motorhome for sure. :thumbsup:

I had maxxed out SS, as had my wife, but it's interesting that when she died, even if I retired early and took early SS, which I did to take care of her, I now get her full disability amount, i.e. age 66 benefit, even though that's two years off for me. So there's another say seven thousand dollars in additional benefits for those two years, until I assume it drops back down. Part of me wonders if this is why SS is going broke. And part of me is very glad to get most of her funeral costs covered by the extra
seven grand. Maybe I'm feeling a little guilty. A little.

/ Good morning!!!! #18,344  
Drew, don't feel guilty, not even a little. You paid into the system.

Really ticks me off, the 'entitlement' rhetoric to puts SS and Medicare that we paid into in same context as the non conrtibutary programs, Medicaid, welfare, housing, etc, etc.

I do wish there was better info available on HW the system works. I started SS at 62, my wife has been on SS disability since recovering the car crash. I have no clue how to figure what the other would get if/when either of us passes. Would be nice for planning purposes.

David Sent from my iPad Air using TractorByNet

/ Good morning!!!! #18,347  
Good for you guys....God help me ...if my wife of almost 50 yrs. died the last thing I would care about would me money...I would be devastated...

Absolutely Bob. Having gone thru her horrendous accident (14 hours surgery, 5 months in hospital) and then cancer, I feel very very fortunate to still have her.
My basic concern re money is to plan that she is ok if something happens to me. That said, I know she will be, but would be nice to be able to be able to have discussed a starter budget just in case. I'm using my SS to pay down our mortgage, so I look at the numbers as today and then when paid off in 2019.
Meanwhile, I thank God everyday I still get to enjoy her.

David Sent from my iPad Air using TractorByNet

/ Good morning!!!! #18,348  
... Maybe I'm feeling a little guilty. A little.

DO NOT feel guilty.

On the lighter side, I think I posted a story on TBN about my run in with SS many years back. When I think about it, I still laugh. I'll have to see if I can find it.

/ Good morning!!!! #18,349  
Good afternoon all. 31F and 1/2 in snow this morning. 46F and overcast now. Clipper coming through this afternoon and cold tomorrow. At work again, current job should be finished tomorrow. Have some key people out next week so main project won't make much progress.

/ Good morning!!!! #18,350  
Roy do come back to this thread :)

Larro it's just a good story till the pics are posted.

SS: When I started work, guys were bitching about the good ole days when they contributed 1 or 2% for half a year then capped out on the contribution. I think that was in the '60s they were talking about. Point is that contributions were run as a pyramid scheme and not as if your family would get survivor benefits. I quit working full time at 55, working until 65 would not change benefits much at all.