Good morning!!!!

/ Good morning!!!! #5,511  
Mornin All!
63 here and threats of rain this afternoon and tomorrow.

I need more coffee.

Yesterday as I was riding home on my blue Harley a commuter bus hit me. I was on the freeway, in the middle lane, following a car in the drivers side of the lane just past a merge. I was doing maybe 2-4 mph, just creeping in heavy traffic, but I WAS ROLLING (that is the only thing that saved me). A big smelly commuter bus had merged and wanted in the middle lane. As he came across his bumper smacked into my right saddlebag (soft leather style bag) and since I was rolling forward under power it just kind of scooted me sideways right onto the dotted line. To me it was like a HUGE WIND had shoved the back of my Harley sideways. I think my shoulder/ribs actually hit the corner of the bus as all this occurred and I looked up straight into the drivers eyes. suddenly we were rolling forward at maybe 10 mph and I was looking at the saddlebag for damage (just scuffed and scraped, but it is brand new). I was in shock that he would just jump into a lane and not see me clearly right there in front of his nose behind the car in front of him.

I was a bit mad too... (can you imagine?)... I stayed close as we were now running in traffic at freeway speeds an when the bus exited to the commuter lot about 7 miles later, I followed it. The driver admitted "He just did not see me, and he was glad I was ok" I got the conductors number, and filled out paperwork so I could get the insurance info. The damage is shockingly minor, but it is a brand new bag, and if I had not been rolling under power, this would have been a disaster with at least my bike crushed under the front of the bus and me ???

The reality is I need to make the claim not really for the money, but if this driver is not seeing bikes like that, what else is he not seeing?

All in all it was a very shocking day, and I'm just really glad God is not finished with me yet, and has plans for me here on Earth, or yesterday would have been an entirely different day.

As it was, we took my middle daughter out for pizza to the rumored best in town joint, and then we had frozen yogurt at SweetFrog and her day was totally wonderful.

I think I'm working from home today. I was afraid I might be sore this morning, but no more than usual for my age and activity level, my neck is very stiff this morning, I my visit the chiropractor and have it adjusted.

Be well all of y'all.
David

/ Good morning!!!! #5,512  
Guess I should have done this at 3:30 when I first got up. Might have sounded more impressive. Kind of warm this morning, 65, and still raining. We've gotten about 10" of rain in September, and the average is around 2.5" Hope all it well with everyone else on TBN.

Wedge

/ Good morning!!!! #5,513  
Good morning! Misty and 55* here this morning with showers possible and high in the 60's. Have to take a small load of junk to the dump today. Have a good one!

/ Good morning!!!! #5,514  
Do you think taking sick days for your cold and being so new on the job may have ticked them off...? I have seen that happen before...I hope you get it figured out...good luck Roy.

No, I don't think it had anythink to do with the cold...although you never know.
The company is trying to obtain AS 9100 certification and I think it's a rough go for them. There's more involved, I think...but since I don't know, I cannot comment on that.

Another dreary morning...maybe rain today.

/ Good morning!!!! #5,515  
No, I don't think it had anythink to do with the cold...although you never know.
The company is trying to obtain AS 9100 certification and I think it's a rough go for them. There's more involved, I think...but since I don't know, I cannot comment on that.

Another dreary morning...maybe rain today.

You know what I don't understand Roy, is if you are a contract worker and a company hires you through an agency or not for a certain preset length of time and they want out early....ie..want to let you go, then I am surprised there is not a buyout provision, where they pay you a severance so to speak... I say this because I would imagine when you are a contract worker and agree to a position for a fixed period, you make plans and maybe even spend money or miss other opportunities...there should be some payment for that I think....

/ Good morning!!!! #5,516  
MossflowerWoods said:
Mornin All!
63 here and threats of rain this afternoon and tomorrow.

I need more coffee.

Yesterday as I was riding home on my blue Harley a commuter bus hit me. I was on the freeway, in the middle lane, following a car in the drivers side of the lane just past a merge. I was doing maybe 2-4 mph, just creeping in heavy traffic, but I WAS ROLLING (that is the only thing that saved me). A big smelly commuter bus had merged and wanted in the middle lane. As he came across his bumper smacked into my right saddlebag (soft leather style bag) and since I was rolling forward under power it just kind of scooted me sideways right onto the dotted line. To me it was like a HUGE WIND had shoved the back of my Harley sideways. I think my shoulder/ribs actually hit the corner of the bus as all this occurred and I looked up straight into the drivers eyes. suddenly we were rolling forward at maybe 10 mph and I was looking at the saddlebag for damage (just scuffed and scraped, but it is brand new). I was in shock that he would just jump into a lane and not see me clearly right there in front of his nose behind the car in front of him.

I was a bit mad too... (can you imagine?)... I stayed close as we were now running in traffic at freeway speeds an when the bus exited to the commuter lot about 7 miles later, I followed it. The driver admitted "He just did not see me, and he was glad I was ok" I got the conductors number, and filled out paperwork so I could get the insurance info. The damage is shockingly minor, but it is a brand new bag, and if I had not been rolling under power, this would have been a disaster with at least my bike crushed under the front of the bus and me ???

The reality is I need to make the claim not really for the money, but if this driver is not seeing bikes like that, what else is he not seeing?

All in all it was a very shocking day, and I'm just really glad God is not finished with me yet, and has plans for me here on Earth, or yesterday would have been an entirely different day.

As it was, we took my middle daughter out for pizza to the rumored best in town joint, and then we had frozen yogurt at SweetFrog and her day was totally wonderful.

I think I'm working from home today. I was afraid I might be sore this morning, but no more than usual for my age and activity level, my neck is very stiff this morning, I my visit the chiropractor and have it adjusted.

Be well all of y'all.
David

David

Glad you are ok!!!. Although I don't currently own a road bike, I surely miss riding and have been window shopping a bit.

Crazy rush hour traffic causes me concern, and reading your post sent chills up my spine. I had already decided that when (if) I get my ride, trying to look "cool" will take second place to living. To that end, I plan on wearing this construction vest.

image-3989545629.jpg

The are lightweight (mesh), cheap and most important....obnoxiously bright, complete with reflective tape for night rides. :)

/ Good morning!!!! #5,517  
we have 30 this morning and sunny going to 63 today.they preparing our road for asphalt today,wow after living on gravel road since 1982 it will be nice,sick of the dust.

/ Good morning!!!! #5,518  
Good morning! 73 now up to mid 90's partly cloudy.

David, I had a big bike in town also for about a year, too many near misses, road debris, pot holes, blind drivers, just an accident waiting to happen. I would think It would be better on the wide open roads in the country but in the last two years I have lost a friend and a relative on their Harleys. One hit a pig the other split a deer in half. Both suffered head damage even with helmets. I would say be careful, but I already know you are, it's just there are so many hazards outside your control.

Roy I hope they can explain it truthfully to you, they owe you that much.

Deerseeker, I feel you joy! When they get through send them to central Texas.

The decking crew should be finished today, they have the right tools, are fast hard working, and do excellent detail work. They do all of Texas and I would refer them in a minute.

Last edited:
   / Good morning!!!! #5,519  
You know what I don't understand Roy, is if you are a contract worker and a company hires you through an agency or not for a certain preset length of time and they want out early....ie..want to let you go, then I am surprised there is not a buyout provision, where they pay you a severance so to speak... I say this because I would imagine when you are a contract worker and agree to a position for a fixed period, you make plans and maybe even spend money or miss other opportunities...there should be some payment for that I think....

Normally a contract is for a period up to a certain length of time...no minimum. Frequently, contracts are extended but that's not always the case.
To the contracting agencies, we're "product", no more, no less.
It can be lucrative (especially if you're willing to travel), but there's no security.

/ Good morning!!!! #5,520  
Duplicate post, keep reading.

Post preserved for 3,000,000th post contest which should be today!
David