Good morning!!!!

/ Good morning!!!! #5,521  
David

Glad you are ok!!!. They are lightweight (mesh), cheap and most important....obnoxiously bright, complete with reflective tape for night rides. :)

Dean,

I was a motorcycle safety/riding instructor from 1998 through 2006. I have a vest (I was not wearing it though) and the jacket yesterday was a light gray. He simply did not look down. He was target fixated on the car in front of me and in a hurry to "get his spot". My personal observation is local commuter bus drivers are not the most polite drivers on the road. I have had thoughts about "loud pipes save lives" and my retroreflective bright riding vest since the incident. I believe 2 things. 1 - My number was not up. 2 - He was not looking.

I hope you do get a bike, I LOVE riding.

David

/ Good morning!!!! #5,522  
David, I had a big bike in town also for about a year, too many near misses, road debris, pot holes, blind drivers, just an accident waiting to happen. I would think It would be better on the wide open roads in the country but in the last two years I have lost a friend and a relative on their Harleys. One hit a pig the other split a deer in half. Both suffered head damage even with helmets. I would say be careful, but I already know you are, it's just there are so many hazards outside your control.

Don,

I know what you are saying, and while I cannot dissagree, I cannot stop riding either.

I am planning to buy an econobox for my commuting sometime in the next couple months.The odds are rough in this region with an 80-84 miles each way commute. There is always SOMETHING in traffic to deal with.

As an instructor for so many years I'm fully aware of all the risks, an all of the strategies to mitigate them.

I consider this was literally just a nudge, in the right direction.
I also consider myself Blessed far beyond my worth.

As for the composite deck. I've heard so may times about how outrageously hot they get that I just cannot se myself considering one. What is your expeience with yours? My wife MUCH prefers barefoot to any other option.

Thanks,
David

/ Good morning!!!! #5,523  
Yesterday as I was riding home on my blue Harley a commuter bus hit me.

David....that was a closer call than you may realize....any little thing different and you would not be having coffee this AM - I rode a Police Harley for 3 yrs...8+ hrs. a day...heavy traffic to open roads...that was years ago but we still had rush hour traffic...I miss it...but like Don said....it is just too dangerous now....and like he said....Too many things you can't control. I live in the country now..and I still would not want to ride a Harley on these quiet country roads..with Deer, drunks, texting folks and just plain careless folks....Sell the bikes David....or keep the moto and ride it on the farm....Just sayin "

/ Good morning!!!! #5,525  
David, glad you're OK! I rode for years, at times my only transportation was a V45 Magna, stopped about 15 years ago when I figured out that my GSX1100 was way faster than me, still have my Marushin helmet and gloves. Loved it but not worth the danger I see anymore.

Last edited:
   / Good morning!!!! #5,526  
Cool start to the day at 4C or 39F. Should warm up nicely with lots of sun to about 70F.

David,
glad you are OK. A few decades ago I had a car turn in front of me while riding my bike and broke my wrist in 3 places. Got knocked out and witness said I flew 15ft high into the air. My fiberglass helmet had a big chunk missing out of it, probably saved me from serious injury or death. Got a car not long after.

/ Good morning!!!! #5,527  
Don,

I know what you are saying, and while I cannot dissagree, I cannot stop riding either.

As for the composite deck. I've heard so may times about how outrageously hot they get that I just cannot se myself considering one. What is your expeience with yours? My wife MUCH prefers barefoot to any other option.

Thanks,
David

David most of my deck is covered the part that is not does get warm on full summer days. I have a dark brown there are lighter shades that would be a lot cooler. My wife prefers no splinters and really like the composite.

Last edited:
   / Good morning!!!! #5,529  
66 at 0430 today. There was a big t-storm up north of us about 25-30 miles at most last night, we could see the lightning, but is was clear and calm where we are.

Today's weather is iffy, and I need to go in early, so I think I will drive the car.

Weekend should be nice, planning to get some seat time.

Be well all.

David

/ Good morning!!!! #5,530  
Drinking second cup of coffee. 43 degrees with clouds this morning. Heading to 66 with sun later in the day. Should be a good day to get some chores done. Wash windows, trim shrubs/hedges and cut lawn. Stopped at doctors office yesterday. Got a adjustment on my orthopedic inserts. Should help with ankle.
Good Morning All.