Run-in shed for a horse... plans?

/ Run-in shed for a horse... plans? #1  

Anonymous Poster

I know its simple... but does anyone have plans for a 3 sided shelter for a horse?

Thanks
Ken H.

/ Run-in shed for a horse... plans? #2  
12x24 Pole Barn, Single slope roof to the back side. I like one bay open on the side and one bay open on the end, less arguments that way. You will get many answers and none will agree. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif bcs ----Put it on a knoll or some fill

/ Run-in shed for a horse... plans? #3  
If you have a Menards in your area you can go in and design your own. It will print out the basic plan. If you buy from them you will get the plans with the building.

/ Run-in shed for a horse... plans?
Yes... this is what I am looking for. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Ken H.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 12x24 Pole Barn, Single slope roof to the back side. I like one bay open on the side and one bay open on the end, less arguments that way. You will get many answers and none will agree. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif bcs ----Put it on a knoll or some fill )</font>

Ken,
My wife and I built a 3 sided horse barn with a hay loft that holds about 60 bales. It's got a gambrel roof and works quite well. The horses love the freedom and now that I bought a Kubota L3710 just the other day I will not have near as much trouble putting up the hay.

http://www.geocities.com/kevin_usa_us/home.html

My web page has some pictures of it. It's not the building at the top of my page but rather the one towards the bottom. I believe I still have an Autocad drawing somewhere. The building measures something like 12 feet deep by 16 feet long I think. There's plenty of room for our 2 horses to get in out of the weather and they seem to spend a lot of time inside.
There are actually pictures of three different buildings on that web page. There are only three pictures of the gambrel roof barn. It's tied down with 3ft. augers at the corners. Post and beam construction sort of. I have more pictures.

Kevin

/ Run-in shed for a horse... plans? #6  
I've made one or three in my time. As Stearns said, allow for the personalities of the horses.

The best one I've done was for a customer and I did it to his specifications. It was a pipe frame with metal sheeting sides and roof. Inside I'd welded in two inch channels vertically. This allowed the customer to slide in tongue in groove two bys to protect the structure from the occasional horse with hooves discussion.

He wanted this one where it could be moved for two reasons. First is here in Texas the wind comes from the north in the winter but from the south in the summer. With it being mobile he could locate it where it could give the animals the protection they needed for that season. It also allowed him to move the mess around the pasture instead of having it in just one place. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The basic frame was made of two and a half inch pipe (2 7/8"). The back bottom horizontal piece had removable plugs. These could be removed and spindles welded to two inch (2 3/8") pipe could be installed when it was to be moved. He'd back his tractor up to the back of the loafing shed. Lift it with an three point attachment. Slide in the spindles holding the wheels and tires. Set it back down. Move around to the front and grab the shed with the three point attachment and a chain. The shed was now a trailer.

Second link doesnt seem to work.

I am cehcking the first now.

Thanks
Ken H.

/ Run-in shed for a horse... plans? #9  
I have some great 3 sided run in shed plans. They are posted at my site under small horse barn plans and run in shed plans. If you need anything bigger or smaller I would be happy to help you out. They use common post and beam construction.

12x24-RISS-run-in-shed-front.jpg

/ Run-in shed for a horse... plans? #10  
A quick thought is if you put it on runners instead of posts in the ground you can generally avoid the tax man. I built a 12x16 on runners in my garage then skidded it into place works good. I spent about 900.00 to erect vs 3k to buyDSC02141.jpg