Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #101  
Native son, do you need a permit to burn? I starting to think we might need burn permits here.

Our commissioners always lift the burn ban too soon and then we have a bunch of wildland fires. A week later they reinstate it but nobody knows about it. We are then called out to extinguish brush piles. With the amount of dead cedars around here and the dried grasses I hope they at least wait till spring when the dry dead grass has decomposed.

Don....We don't need a permit to burn brush or trash(barrel), but if you want to burn a pasture or a hay field you call the VFD and they'll come sit with you and make sure it's controlled....and you donate a $100 or so to the VFD. The Commissioners will be pretty careful with all the dead trees and the fact that the burn piles have gotten pretty big.

Like Eddie I want to burn after it rains and I'll drag a fire break around each pile and only burn one at a time.

Told the boys that we may get to burn soon so, if possible they'll show up with hot dogs, marshmellows & grand babies. They too have a little pyromania in the genes.

Charlie

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #102  
Don, are those cedars a result of the drought, or the earlier fires you folks had? Just wondering, I wouldn't want to be around a field full of dry dead Cedar if it lite up! That's if it still had it's leaf mass still attached, burn like gasoline.

Western the dead cedars are a result of the drought. My dad had a grove of about 200 cedars that came up naturally about ten years ago - all dead.

Native son, our VFD will not come out to a control burn because if it gets out of control the VFD can then be sued. Our moto: If you think you need the VFD to stand by, don't start the fire. Their are professionals that do control burns that have the state required liability insurance that our VFD does not.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
Thanks Don, I figured , but had to ask. 200 acres of dead cedars is a big fire if she goes up.

So far I haven't had any measurable rain, fog and mist the biggest thing so far. Actually feels somewhat like November this morning and predicted rain on the way tonight I hope.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #104  
Western the dead cedars are a result of the drought. My dad had a grove of about 200 cedars that came up naturally about ten years ago - all dead.

Native son, our VFD will not come out to a control burn because if it gets out of control the VFD can then be sued. Our moto: If you think you need the VFD to stand by, don't start the fire. Their are professionals that do control burns that have the state required liability insurance that our VFD does not.

:confused:When I was on the VFD we encouraged people to call for us to help with controlled burns.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #105  
:confused:When I was on the VFD we encouraged people to call for us to help with controlled burns.

Ahhh, we long for those days. With EPA rules and hungry lawyers the term reckless is defined various ways, especially if your house burns from the neighbors "supervised" (by your VFD) control burn.

Control burns are still encouraged by TFS (after you take a class, which I will be attending in December with a lot of questions) and the TFS says to let your FD know when you burn. If I was contacted I would tell them not to do it during the week because we have only 2 that respond and it's too windy on every weekend.

Texas prescribed burning laws

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #106  
I lit one and waited for it to die down, then lit the other. I will only burn the day after it rains, so I don't have to worry about it spreading. What amazes me is that after burning for two days, the clay under it is still wet!!!!

Eddie

There goes the whole allotment of carbon credits for Tyler. A bunch of people in slow little electric cars are headed your way to picket you. If they can find a charging station, you're in a heap of trouble. ;):laughing:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!

Well sure Bird!! back then it was still done with fire buckets and a fish fry after wards!:D:laughing:

There goes the whole allotment of carbon credits for Tyler. A bunch of people in slow little electric cars are headed your way to picket you. If they can find a charging station, you're in a heap of trouble. ;):laughing:

Jim say it isn't so!!! I can see "Occupy Eddies" on FOX news now:laughing:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #108  
Jim say it isn't so!!! I can see "Occupy Eddies" on FOX news now

Eddie will be OK with it as long as it's a women only demonstration.

Charlie

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #109  
Well sure Bird!! back then it was still done with fire buckets and a fish fry after wards!:D:laughing:

Boy, I fell right into that, didn't I?:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #110  
You know fellas, right now my gullies are washin'.:cool2: It hasn't rained this hard here in a long time. If I had my new ponds/dams ready to go, they'd be half full by now. It's been a long time since we had a good toad strangler like this one.:thumbsup: