Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,191  
That's awe full Brandi, hope today is a better day.
Most of my family was sick over Christmas, my wife and I stayed home ( she was on call), the rest went to Oklahoma to my Brothers. They ll got sick.

I know this will sound extreme, but it does work if you can "handle it". Peel and crush a clove of garlic and either put it in a n 8 ounce glass of water and drink it, or wrap it in a piece of plain bread and eat it. Just a peeled clove on your mouth will help a cough too, use like a lozenge.

Nasty day today, windy, high of only 36*. Sure kills some projects I need to get done around here since I was on the road most of the summer.

Yesterday I braved getting out with my son and we ventured to Austin for Christmas with my daughter. The winds blew us all over the road. The winds didn't help me any and I was whipped by 10pm. We came home today and am feeling much better in my recliner.
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,192  
Back in TX for the winter. Got rain in the RGV. I am already being blamed for bring the predicted cool weather coming tonight and lasting rest of the week. :confused3:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,193  
Well, we made it home safely. Luckily the traffic was not too bad up there. Only got out once due to the weather and sick kids. It rained on us all the way down I35 yesterday from FW to Waco then Hwy 77 to Giddings. We actually got maybe a 1/2" of rain here in Giddings. A MIRACLE. I might burn my brush pile today depending on the wind.

Hope all of y'all have a Happy New Years day, don't forget your black eyed peas (yumyum).

Oh, and welcome back Ron! Hope youz guys get thawed out and thanks for bringing the rain.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#1,194  
Back in TX for the winter. Got rain in the RGV. I am already being blamed for bring the predicted cool weather coming tonight and lasting rest of the week. :confused3:

We are averaging in N Texas, 10* below normal, but next week we should get to normal temps. Make sure you point that out to the RGV "naysayers":laughing:

BTW, I got right at a 1/2" out of the last front, for a total of 1.6"+ for the 2 week period:thumbsup:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,195  
Glad you made it home safely, Kyle. And yep, I'll soon put the blackeyed peas with diced home on to cook to go with the turkey roasts.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,196  
Hope all of y'all have a Happy New Years day, don't forget your black eyed peas (yumyum).

My wife cooked up a big pot of our own garden's black eyed peas with ham. After fireworks with my grandson, we each had a bowl. Actually, I had two bowls because I had been waiting on them and not eating other stuff. Besides, I need all the good luck I can muster for 2013.:D

The rain showers made our fireworks very safe, no worries about dry grass/leaf fires.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,197  
Happy new year, all. Misty all day yesterday, today. No real moisture. But grass too wet in case someone tried to light it with fireworks in our burn ban county.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,198  
My wife cooked up a big pot of our own garden's black eyed peas with ham. After fireworks with my grandson, we each had a bowl. Actually, I had two bowls because I had been waiting on them and not eating other stuff. Besides, I need all the good luck I can muster for 2013.:D

The rain showers made our fireworks very safe, no worries about dry grass/leaf fires.

I'll bet Jim's garden grown Black eyed peas get the gold star today. Can you actually believe I forgot to add bacon to mine??? When I did that, I thought about Don his diet and thought, "Maybe I should start thinking more about that?" Well, I have to admit I had a pot roast in the pressure cooker when the peas were cooking....Too much temptation when it was done....

I went by the directions to cook my frozen peas. Cover with water in saucepan, bring to boil. Boil 3 minutes and turn down to cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes. They were overcooked. Darn. Mushy but I still had me a cup or 2. Love me some Black eyed peas.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,199  
We just had canned blackeyed peas with plenty of diced ham. Of course, we had turkey roasts (both regular and Cajun Style), mashed taters & gravy, hot rolls, garden salad, devilled eggs, and cherry pie and apple pie.

I learned that there's lots of preferences in blackeyed peas. I have a brother and his wife who only want the dried ones, and when I had plenty in my own garden I had a neighbor who only wanted the biggest ones to shell just before they started drying. Personally, I can eat any of them, but my preference is tender somewhat green ones along with plenty of snaps.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,200  
Rain from the last three days................1/10 inch, 1/4 inch, and today's 1/10 inch.:smiley_aafz: Fireworks were on last night around Casa de Williams in between sprinkles of rain.:dance1: Too bad the fog was thick and lots of the morter explosions looked like lightning behind clouds.:(

Really dreary weather for me trying to get over this nasal infection.:pullinghair: I mean, 12 days off from work and I'm sick with cold, wet weather. Heck, I dug my first pond in 40 degree sunshine.......now that is nice weather!:cloud9: I braved going outside with my head covered before midnight, but the dampness chased me inside after about 15 minutes. Can't wait for some days off with sunshine.;)
hugs, Brandi:us-texas::cowgirl: