Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,211  
Dennis,
Do not cut the trees first and then dig................but dig around the trees, then you can push them over. That is the best way to handle a tree and stump. The height/weight of the tree leverages the root ball out of the hole for you.
But if you feel better cutting, then digging............do it the most comfortable way you feel.
Lou66,
My two joysticks on my Bradco BH keep both hands busy.. Three sticks would remind me of a forklift.
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,212  
I have a pretty good sized dozer and it is the last thing that I would use for tree or stump removal. It is for smoother and spreading dirt and massive digging projects. It is not for removing things or land clearing. It creats a bigger mess then anything else that takes forever to clean up.

Backhoe is what I use for everything from saplings to massive oaks and pines. There is nothing that is too big, you just have to start out farther from the tree so you can break the bigger roots. Sometimes it's just another foot out, other times you need to go a few feet. Every root will break, but the closer you are to the tree, the more dirt there is holding it in place. For bigger trees, you have to change position and get all four sides dug out. With really big stumps, you have to get under it, so it might take a few changes of where you park. Keep in mind where you pile your dirt because it's a pain to have to move your dirt pile to get where you want to be.

I've never used an excavator, but think it would be a lot better for digging. Get one with a dozer blade if you can, because filling in the hole and what you leave behind is what you will have to live with.

If you haven't cut down the tree yet, don't. The weight of the tree takes out the stump easily. Without that weight, it's a big job digging out stumps with minimal hp. I have 80 hp on my backhoe and I've spend half an hour to several hours to what seemed like all day taking out one stump. Different types of trees, soil type and positioning all add up to how long it will take.

Whatever you estmimate it will take, double it, then double it again.

Eddie

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#1,214  
Most of the trees (maybe 7) are already cut down 3 years ago. Like everything else, plans change and I never planned on doing anything in this area. There are maybe 4 trees still standing that may have to go, so I will leave them up and give that a go, makes allot of sense. When they put in my sewer tanks, they had to clear out around 12 small to medium Oaks, (guy was worried about the roots entering the leech field, he dug them (all standing) in maybe 45 minutes. Of coarse he had at least a 50hp BH and was very skilled, fun to watch.

Eddie I agree on the dozer, but the operator I have used before, I would swear he could pick up a dime with his D7, he was popping stumps and stacking trees with barely a drop of dirt on them when he put in my 1400' "road", so I think the operator and the job has something to do with it but over all I agree 100%. This guy hass ran a dozer since high school over 30+ years, me I just watch'em a drool:laughing: I've seen your dozer , wish I had one sitting here right now:D

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,215  
Dennis,

Lou66,
My two joysticks on my Bradco BH keep both hands busy.. Three sticks would remind me of a forklift.
hugs, Brandi

Brandi,, my forklift only has one stick,, up/down/left/right is tilt.. I have to get off if I want to widen it,, now I have an old john deere 3pt hook-up backhoe that is a two stick,, Lou

View attachment 296050View attachment 296053

#1,216  
OK, Excavator probably out, the place with the best rental prices does not carry them. If I have to, I will dig out the edge of the tank with my tractor. If this was "need to "work rather than "want to" I would look at it in a different light.

The BH's are "Terramite" I have never heard of them??? She said 35-40hp (she thinks) they also have the 20hp too. Anyone familiar with Terramite? same thing right?? $150 a day sounds fair, if it will do the job.

BTW, "joystick" just sounds more "funner":laughing::shocked:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,217  
In my opinion, they should pay you to take the Terrible-mite. The one I rented was 20 hp and not worth the fuel it took to haul it to my place. The guy at the rental yard tried to sell it to me for $6k and I just laughed. I am obviously not a fan. I see a lot of them in rental yards and I think they are popular because they are cheap and can be rented with a trailer you can tow behind a 1/2 ton pickup. They are the rental equivalent of Tony Romo: all the cost, but they choke when the going gets tough.:thumbsdown:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,218  
Dennis,
Too bad on a mini ex. A Bobcat 331 would have you singing praises and telling the wife you want to buy one.:laughing: I never have used a Terramite, but have seen them and the smaller ones look like an 8 inch stump would kick their butt:eek:. Try to get the model number and google specs on it's hydraulic system. I'm betting it isn't that much.
Bare in mind rental machines are used and abused and a used unit won't dig like a new one,...ie, wore out hyd. pump. Try to test it at the rental yard. See if the hoe and outriggers will pick up the rear tires off the ground.
The smaller the machine........the longer the digging time. Anything you get, it will be fun.
hugs, Brandi

Last edited:
#1,219  
Thanks for the reply's. When I asked the guy today and he said Terramite, I Goggled Terramite and they look seems they where the 1st company to produce a backhoe??. I may just go with the other place for more $$, cant remember what the girl said, was like 590b or something like that, will call tomorrow. I'd rather spend the extra $85 and be able to get done.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,220  
Thanks for the reply's. When I asked the guy today and he said Terramite, I Goggled Terramite and they look seems they where the 1st company to produce a backhoe??. I may just go with the other place for more $$, cant remember what the girl said, was like 590b or something like that, will call tomorrow. I'd rather spend the extra $85 and be able to get done.

<<<spend the extra $85 and be able to get done.>>> That about sums it up.
hugs, Brandi