Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#1,251  
I got a chuckle from an Austin weather forecaster taking about the weather for the next two days, she said: "Even I think it will rain this time".
:laughing: Thats funny

The best weatherman, or I should say most "accurate" I have known of was one of the DFW guys (dont recall his name) He retired in the late 80's I believe, but he swore that he got his info more accurately by watching the way his goat acted!! Some of you smarter local guy's may remember him, I think he was on Channel 4???

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,252  
Dennis, you're not thinking of Harold Taft of Channel 5, are you?

#1,253  
Dennis, you're not thinking of Harold Taft of Channel 5, are you?

Yep! thanks Bird!!:thumbsup: I had it wrong on all counts:D But yes that is him, he swore by that goat too!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,254  
Dennis, I guess you know Harold Taft was dubbed "The World's Greatest Weatherman" by Bill Mack, the old late night radio personality and it stuck. Of course I remember when he was training a kid named David Finfrock.:laughing:

And many folks, including myself, were fans of Harold Taft, although I once attended a severe weather school taught by the fellow who was the NWS head in Ft. Worth at the time, and he mentioned that Harold Taft had the oldest radar type of any of the TV stations. You may notice that I remember Harold Taft, but not the name of that instructor.:laughing:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,255  
When we got our brand new doppler in Houston, and brand new forecasters to go with it, they were totally enthralled with how great a forecast it and the computers we had at the time could put out for them. There was one day they were forecasting some large amount of rain and an old forecaster we had that grew up in Texas City just smiled and said "no it ain't" ....it didn't....sometimes high tech just will NOT out do experience. Obviously Mr Taft musta had that.

#1,256  
Dennis, I guess you know Harold Taft was dubbed "The World's Greatest Weatherman" by Bill Mack, the old late night radio personality and it stuck. Of course I remember when he was training a kid named David Finfrock.:laughing:

And many folks, including myself, were fans of Harold Taft, although I once attended a severe weather school taught by the fellow who was the NWS head in Ft. Worth at the time, and he mentioned that Harold Taft had the oldest radar type of any of the TV stations. You may notice that I remember Harold Taft, but not the name of that instructor.:laughing:

Bird, I remember Bill mack, wb820 here I think, he was syndicated too i believe because I could listen to him almost everywhere.

I know Mr. Taft used a goat:laughing: He spoke about it several times. Didn't know he mentored Finfrock, the personality part sure didn't "rub off" on the new guy (Finfrock):eek:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,257  

I really liked Harold Taft. I believe he was the one who said that sometimes North Texas develops its own weather. What he was referring to was that you could never know for sure when the heat would rise enough to break through the summertime high pressure cap. Harold had a style of talking and describing things that made you feel like he was your neighbor next door. He was very believable.

Though Harold Taft may be the most known NTX weatherman, I think the person who started the trend here was Warren Culbertson. Warren started after WWII at WFAA and was a weather pioneer. Later, he worked several years for Channel 4 and finished his career in radio as the morning weatherman for KVIL 103.7 FM. Warren would take a long vacation every summer from KVIL because he said the weather in the summer here didn't take anyone with real skill to forecast. It was going to be hot and dry.:laughing:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,258  
When we got our brand new doppler in Houston, and brand new forecasters to go with it, they were totally enthralled with how great a forecast it and the computers we had at the time could put out for them. There was one day they were forecasting some large amount of rain and an old forecaster we had that grew up in Texas City just smiled and said "no it ain't" ....it didn't....sometimes high tech just will NOT out do experience. Obviously Mr Taft musta had that.

I don't know how often he was right or wrong compared to other weathermen, but he was the one I watched and had the most confidence in for a lot of years.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,259  
I can predict rain within 3 days, with confidence, and am usually right even though the weather wizards with all their fancy instruments say it will be clear for 5 days. All I have to do is cut a field of hay.:confused3:
Ron

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,260  
How many in this area remember Dale Milford, weatherman on WFAA-TV, and later U.S. Representative? And were you watching him the night he got a bit tongue tied? He was showing the weather map, pointed, and meant to say, "Up here we have a cold air mass" but he actually said "Up here we have a cold mare's . . . " well, you can guess the rest.:laughing: The whole news crew got to laughing and Dale walked off. After a little bit, someone else came out and finished the weather forecast.