Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,271  
   / Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,272  
The TV is saying we are suppose to get 6" of rain. So far we just had a light sprinkle. (8:00 am)
Mike do you remember weatherman Sid Lasher and his large large drawing pad?

Hey, I remember Sid Lasher. He was a hoot!
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,273  
The TV is saying we are suppose to get 6" of rain. So far we just had a light sprinkle. (8:00 am)
Mike do you remember weatherman Sid Lasher and his large large drawing pad?
...I don't....For 18 years I didn't bother watching TV weathermen very much. I got my forecasts at work.:cool:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,274  
NWS finally updated their site. ...SLIGHT RISK FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS TUESDAY NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY
MORNING... I hope not. Last spring we got this kind of report. Hail and 70mph winds. Shut north McAllen down for days.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,275  
Its been raining off and on all night.. got two and quarter inches so far,, looks like the big rain, on the radar, is still coming this way.. Lou

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#1,276  
Woke up to a light sprinkle, this is supposed to be the precursor of things to come. Pete Delcus (Channel 8 ) said on the weather last night that Severe storms with possibly isolated tornadoes would be possible South and South East of the DFW metro-mess, but in turn, said you Southern folks should get some much needed drought relief.

Brandi, your new neighbor with the "cow operation" must have some gooood grass to consider stocking that many head, feeding hay ta boot and making a good profit!

back when I had 376 acres, I got up to around 140 head and it was a juggling act to say the least. My BIG mistake was going in with a neighbor when NAFTA came around and we bought 100 yearlings (mixed breed stocker calves) from Mexico at dirt cheap and added them to the "fold", live and learn I guess, but 150 head on 100 acres seems like playing with nitro with his finances:D but hey, if he gives you allot of work:thumbsup:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,277  
Brandi, your new neighbor with the "cow operation" must have some gooood grass to consider stocking that many head, feeding hay ta boot and making a good profit!

Yep! I think he ain't feedin' all that grass to his cattle. To believe that, he's bound to be smokin' some of it.:D

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#1,278  
Yep! I think he ain't feedin' all that grass to his cattle. To believe that, he's bound to be smokin' some of it.:D

:laughing: RIGHT!! Then that is what he should try to "profit" off of, at least until he gets caught:shocked:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,279  
Boy, I could not agree more. I don't care if he's running stockers or a cow-calf operation, he's running a feed lot. With hay? And a profit sufficient to live on? His pencil isn't sharp or dull, it's broken! Better get your share of his money before it runs out...seems like he's going to hire everything done...hay transport, pond work...Sooooo much wrong with this picture. and you've got to watch it unfold. Get ready, you may be able to pick up his 100 acres in a couple of years. The cash flow required for fertilizer, pens, sheds, fencing, feed, equipment, vet bills, machinery, minerals, price fluctuations, fuel, interest, personal living expenses, etc. is totally not understood unless you've lived it. Yes, there are scenarios where it can work, but the assumptions and skill required are all in the realm of extreme improbability, particularly for a sustained multi-year operation.

I've got just over 200 acres and am down to 12 mother cows, 1 bull due to the drought. I may not be the best cowman in the world, but I still have some grass which will recover in about 4 years if it ever rains reasonably well.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,280  
I know. My old high school ag and FFA skills are rusty, but I do remember something like so many acres per cow, or was it so many cows per acreage, depending on pasture management. I just can't see his math and logic. Oh yeah...............he has a 10 year lease on the place.
hugs,. Brandi