Page 130 of 718 FirstFirst ... 3080120127128129130131132133140180230630 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,300 of 7180
  1. #1291
    Super Member txdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    8,432
    Location
    Central Texas
    Tractor
    Kubota L5030HST, 1947 Farmall A, Hustler FasTrak

    Default Re: Texas Fall/Winter thread!

    The problem with writing everything off is you have to have a large enough profit to begin with unless you plan on using farm loss to offset another source of revenue.

    I have a cousin that is a successful cattleman. He is the last of the Texas Cowboys. He has a pickup, cow trailer and a horse. He leases out large parcels of land along the gulf coast and does every thing on horseback. He's the kind of guy that can rope and pick up a calf. His expenses are low and he does everything himself.
    Last edited by txdon; 01-08-2013 at 06:57 PM.
    TXDon

  2. #1292
    Super Member bindian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    5,997
    Location
    Willis, Texas
    Tractor
    Mahindra 6520 4WD

    Default Re: Texas Fall/Winter thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by texasjohn View Post
    What's his plan for getting rid of the carcass of cows/calves that die when calving? OH, I forgot, he's assuming a 10% twinning rate to offset the 10% calf/cow/open cow losses. It's a perfect storm in progress, keep us posted, Brandi
    Hey,
    I'm just the tractor help, but I'll do what I can.
    hugs, Brandi

  3. #1293
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,474
    Location
    Wise county Texas
    Tractor
    Kioti DK 35 now

    Default Re: Texas Fall/Winter thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by bindian View Post
    Hey,
    I'm just the tractor help, but I'll do what I can. hugs, Brandi
    And here I thought you'd be the "ramrod" If he offers you the job, check the books 1st!!!

    BTW, a feed lot wouldn't bother with much hay as feed, they'd go grains (doctored) to get quick muscle growth. In/out with as little time in the lot as possible. He better plan on ALLOT of quality hay when he reaches full capacity, or cheap hay and allot of protein
    Dennis


    "Winter 2013 a majority of the country is setting new cold records, Colorado is setting new record HIGH's"

    "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."

  4. #1294
    Platinum Member wcampbell47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    695
    Location
    Texas Coast
    Tractor
    Kubota B7510 and L3901

    Default Re: Texas Fall/Winter thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by txdon View Post
    I have a cousin that is a successful cattleman. He is the last of the Texas Cowboys. He has a pickup, cow trailer and a horse. He leases out large parcels of land along the gulf coast and does every thing on horseback. He's the kind of guy that can rope and pick up a calf. His expenses are low and he does everything himself.
    I call Matagorda (translation Fat Grass) home now. The drought the last couple of years has some of the ranches scrambling. At least two large ranches (4000 acres or so) have sold off every cow. I see the cowboys out with their stock trailers and horses quite frequently these days. I would have no idea how to make that kind of operation work.
    Caution: Some of my posts may be politically incorrect.
    Kubota B7510 & L3901

  5. #1295
    Super Member texasjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    6,048
    Location
    Central Texas, Jarrell
    Tractor
    Kubota Grand L5030HSTC

    Default Re: Texas Fall/Winter thread!

    My dad had a story about a fellow who simply lifted his bull up and over the fence to get him into the next pasture. When asked why he didn't put a gate in, he replied, "Why, I been doing it every day since he was a baby calf!"

    So, given that approach, I don't see the problem, the fellow starts with a few cows, adds a few every now and then and after a while he's got 150 head, their calves and maybe 4 bulls all happily wandering around on 100 acres. It's just math!

    Brandi, just reread your initial comment...seems the neighbor has a dislike for labor intensive work yet has this plan for .7 acres/AU.
    Since this fellow is writing everything off and is independently wealthy, be sure and give him some big write offs for your hay hauling and back hoeing
    Joy is having the tools you need and needing the tools you have!

    Kubota 5030 HSTC, BB, Danueser PHD, LA853 QA HD FEL w JD toothbar, 3pt chisel, 3 pt disk, 6' shredder, Kubota FEL hay spike, 3pt hay fork w carryall, Kubota RTV 1140

  6. #1296
    Super Member bindian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    5,997
    Location
    Willis, Texas
    Tractor
    Mahindra 6520 4WD

    Default Re: Texas Fall/Winter thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by texasjohn View Post
    My dad had a story about a fellow who simply lifted his bull up and over the fence to get him into the next pasture. When asked why he didn't put a gate in, he replied, "Why, I been doing it every day since he was a baby calf!"

    So, given that approach, I don't see the problem, the fellow starts with a few cows, adds a few every now and then and after a while he's got 150 head, their calves and maybe 4 bulls all happily wandering around on 100 acres. It's just math!

    Brandi, just reread your initial comment...seems the neighbor has a dislike for labor intensive work yet has this plan for .7 acres/AU.
    Since this fellow is writing everything off and is independently wealthy, be sure and give him some big write offs for your hay hauling and back hoeing
    Maybe he can buy me that excavator I want to dig his 15 foot deep acre lake!
    hugs, Brandi

  7. #1297
    Platinum Member CowboyRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    777
    Location
    Mabank Texas
    Tractor
    Mahindra 4025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bindian View Post

    Maybe he can buy me that excavator I want to dig his 15 foot deep acre lake!
    hugs, Brandi
    You never know Brandi, maybe if he doesn't know any better you could name your price.

  8. #1298
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,474
    Location
    Wise county Texas
    Tractor
    Kioti DK 35 now

    Default Re: Texas Fall/Winter thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by bindian View Post
    Maybe he can buy me that excavator I want to dig his 15 foot deep acre lake!
    hugs, Brandi
    Thats what I'm talking about!!! get it while the gett'ns good I say, before he goes "belly up" Heck, if he would spring for half and you dig the tank, that may even work out.


    So far 7/10ths and still pouring!!
    Dennis


    "Winter 2013 a majority of the country is setting new cold records, Colorado is setting new record HIGH's"

    "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."

  9. #1299
    Bronze Member rgamble3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    54
    Location
    Smithville TX
    Tractor
    Kubota GR 2100 Kubota RTV 500

    Default Re: Texas Fall/Winter thread!

    2.3" so far and still raining. Hope this keeps up a while longer.

    Roy

  10. #1300
    Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    jinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    21,014
    Location
    Texas - Wise County - Sunset
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

    Default Re: Texas Fall/Winter thread!

    1/2" so far and the storm seems to be evaporating as soon as it enters the southern part of the county. Note to self. . . New ponds repel storms and push them away. Maybe we'll get a bit more this morning before the storm goes bye-bye.
    Jim


Page 130 of 718 FirstFirst ... 3080120127128129130131132133140180230630 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. So, You think you own your land...
    By JazzDad in forum Rural Living
    Replies: 108
    Last Post: 03-07-2009, 10:20 PM
  2. Can someone help me find a thread?
    By JayC in forum News/Feedback
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-21-2007, 08:30 PM
  3. Metric wonderment experience
    By Edstir in forum Kubota Owning/Operating
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-03-2007, 05:50 PM
  4. Texan's view of the world
    By hazmat in forum Related Topics
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 01-20-2006, 12:50 PM
  5. Are hydraulic fittings pipe thread pitch or other?
    By adlertom in forum Hydraulics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-16-2004, 10:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2016 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.