Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,291  
The problem with writing everything off is you have to have a large enough profit to begin with unless you plan on using farm loss to offset another source of revenue.

I have a cousin that is a successful cattleman. He is the last of the Texas Cowboys. He has a pickup, cow trailer and a horse. He leases out large parcels of land along the gulf coast and does every thing on horseback. He's the kind of guy that can rope and pick up a calf. His expenses are low and he does everything himself.

Last edited:
   / Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,292  
What's his plan for getting rid of the carcass of cows/calves that die when calving? OH, I forgot, he's assuming a 10% twinning rate to offset the 10% calf/cow/open cow losses. It's a perfect storm in progress, keep us posted, Brandi:D

Hey,
I'm just the tractor help, but I'll do what I can.;)
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#1,293  
Hey,
I'm just the tractor help, but I'll do what I can.;) hugs, Brandi

And here I thought you'd be the "ramrod":laughing: If he offers you the job, check the books 1st!!!:D

BTW, a feed lot wouldn't bother with much hay as feed, they'd go grains (doctored) to get quick muscle growth. In/out with as little time in the lot as possible. He better plan on ALLOT of quality hay when he reaches full capacity, or cheap hay and allot of protein :laughing:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,294  
I have a cousin that is a successful cattleman. He is the last of the Texas Cowboys. He has a pickup, cow trailer and a horse. He leases out large parcels of land along the gulf coast and does every thing on horseback. He's the kind of guy that can rope and pick up a calf. His expenses are low and he does everything himself.

I call Matagorda (translation Fat Grass) home now. The drought the last couple of years has some of the ranches scrambling. At least two large ranches (4000 acres or so) have sold off every cow. I see the cowboys out with their stock trailers and horses quite frequently these days. I would have no idea how to make that kind of operation work.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,295  
My dad had a story about a fellow who simply lifted his bull up and over the fence to get him into the next pasture. When asked why he didn't put a gate in, he replied, "Why, I been doing it every day since he was a baby calf!"

So, given that approach, I don't see the problem, the fellow starts with a few cows, adds a few every now and then and after a while he's got 150 head, their calves and maybe 4 bulls all happily wandering around on 100 acres. It's just math!

Brandi, just reread your initial comment...seems the neighbor has a dislike for labor intensive work yet has this plan for .7 acres/AU.
:rotfl: Since this fellow is writing everything off and is independently wealthy, be sure and give him some big write offs for your hay hauling and back hoeing:thumbsup:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,296  
My dad had a story about a fellow who simply lifted his bull up and over the fence to get him into the next pasture. When asked why he didn't put a gate in, he replied, "Why, I been doing it every day since he was a baby calf!"

So, given that approach, I don't see the problem, the fellow starts with a few cows, adds a few every now and then and after a while he's got 150 head, their calves and maybe 4 bulls all happily wandering around on 100 acres. It's just math!

Brandi, just reread your initial comment...seems the neighbor has a dislike for labor intensive work yet has this plan for .7 acres/AU.
:rotfl: Since this fellow is writing everything off and is independently wealthy, be sure and give him some big write offs for your hay hauling and back hoeing:thumbsup:

Maybe he can buy me that excavator I want to dig his 15 foot deep acre lake!
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,297  
hugs, Brandi

You never know Brandi, maybe if he doesn't know any better you could name your price.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#1,298  
hugs, Brandi

Thats what I'm talking about!!! get it while the gett'ns good I say, before he goes "belly up":laughing: Heck, if he would spring for half and you dig the tank, that may even work out.

So far 7/10ths and still pouring!!:thumbsup:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,299  
2.3" so far and still raining. Hope this keeps up a while longer.

Roy

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,300  
1/2" so far and the storm seems to be evaporating as soon as it enters the southern part of the county. Note to self. . . New ponds repel storms and push them away.:( Maybe we'll get a bit more this morning before the storm goes bye-bye.:confused3: