Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,321  
Is it actually raining across the street? Hmm ... odd for Texas weather. Most of the time it will rain on one side of the street and not the other. Like they say around here .. wait 10 minutes and the weather will change.

Hey I ain't falling for that,, you just want me to walk across the street in the rain. no way,,... :laughing:..

I can see clearly now the rain has stopped it going to be a good time to check the rain gauge,, Lou

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,322  
Raining steady here with a med-heavy beat. My rain gauge is way out on the pond's pier post. Tried Dennis's trick with my pair of binos, but it is too dark to judge. Their is an oak stump (yes, I still have a storm stump) out behind the guage near the second pond and that puts a shadow on it from my view off of the deck.

Finally, I saw my regular Doctor (real MD and has been on vacation) and I got the right meds. The person I saw two weeks ago is a DA or DO that I do not like. Totally different prescriptions for the same nasal infection. So I am getting better and have a severe case of cabin fever now.
hugs, Brandi

Brandi - I'm in my 2nd winter with no colds or flu symptoms (knock on wood). I was visiting my daughter and going downhill fast with cold symptoms. She fixed me a hot toddy (well 2 for the whole day). Wild Turkey American Honey (bourbon blended with honey) microwaved with water and lemon. I drove home the next day no troubles. Since then I put a half shot of WTAH in my first (sometimes 2nd) cup of coffee (winter time only). So far I have been good to go. I'm not pushing my luck by getting out in the weather unless I have to as well. The local breakfast cafe lets me keep a bottle behind the counter as well. :) Just saying that works for me. Wouldn't recommend it if a person has any alcohol related issues.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,323  
Finally, I saw my regular Doctor (real MD and has been on vacation) and I got the right meds. The person I saw two weeks ago is a DA or DO that I do not like. Totally different prescriptions for the same nasal infection. So I am getting better and have a severe case of cabin fever now.
hugs, Brandi

I had the same thing happen many years ago; went to that DO twice and wasn't getting any better, but we had just moved and he was the closest doctor. But then I finally happened to notice that "DO" after his name and recalled a couple of other bad experiences with DOs by my brother and by a co-worker. So I went to an MD, got different medicine, and started to feel better the next day.

I'm sure there are good DOs, but . . . . well, not for me.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,324  
The event seems to be winding down here.

4.2 inches total so far...same in 2 different gauges, so i believe. Also, ground is actually saturated, sink in when walking around. Came slow almost all the time, minimal runoff. Checked the tanks...they are back to where they were about 3 months ago...which is to say seriously down, but sufficient to hide a crawdad. Another event is supposed to happen next week. Almost all of that will be run off, so could actually fill the tanks...hoping!.

This is first real, effective rain in 12 months for me.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,325  
Finally after 12 hours the internet is back up. When I called them they said the unit got wet and they were waiting for it to quit raining so they could climb the tower and reset it. Total rain for 2 days = 4".

Mike are your cisterns full?

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,326  
Just a few hundred yards from me, the Lee County Airport registered 3.5" in the last 48 hours.

My pond is running over. It could have filled itself 2 or 3 times over since the ground was already saturated a bit.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,327  
Got in the rain today and went to the bank. I opened up a business checking account for Big RED Beast Excavators. It took so long to get a stinking little account opened (so many questions) that it was 5 with we finished.

Got home and checked the rain guage..................2 inches. Both ponds about 18 inches from overflow. I know the new, bigger pond will have enough runoff to overflow tonight. Now is time to get the pump out tomorrow and fill the smaller pond! I'll put that on my "to do" list for tomorrow.
I feel great until I am out in the weather a while..............then it's all downhill from there.
Took one night off sick and three nights off vacation, so hopefully the sun will poke out a little tomorrow and Friday. I'm trying to get all the metal I need to turn a QA Adapter Plate into a Hay Spear.
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,328  
uh, Brandi, while you are at it, you're going to need a 5 bale self dumping hay trailer...those 150 cows are going to need lots of bales PER DAY:dance1:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,329  
uh, Brandi, while you are at it, you're going to need a 5 bale self dumping hay trailer...those 150 cows are going to need lots of bales PER DAY:dance1:

I already got a 5 bale self dumping trailer.:laughing:;)
hugs, Brandi 10-10-09 Brandi unloading dump trailer.jpg