Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,351  
Brandi, I dont have a photo, but I could sure make a drawing for you if you'd like! Really simple if you dont mind 1 hole on the FEL. I think I had less than $75 in it (mostly the hay spike) For the "anti-roll" I just used 1 piece of 3/4 sucker rod.

Dennis,
No, that won't be necessary. Thanks anyway. Without the QA Adapter Plate, doing it your way, I would have to mount the spear on one side or the other of the my tool carrier , not in the center
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,352  
Dennis,
No, that won't be necessary. Thanks anyway. Without the QA Adapter Plate, doing it your way, I would have to mount the spear on one side or the other of the my tool carrier , not in the center
hugs, Brandi

If your handling rolls of significant size and weight, which you must be if they won't fit in your bucket, your better off doing it your way with the spears attached to the plate. Rolls on a spear in front of a bucket apply additional leverage and stress to your system.
As far as your pointing out the pins in the message you posted above the one I did last night, have you ever been typing a response to a post and once you send it you find a number of other posted replies including more explanation from the OP?
Sorry for looking stupid to you, just trying to help from my past experiences.
We will be looking forward to seeing pictures of how good a welder you are on the project.
Ron

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#1,353  
Dennis,
hugs, Brandi

OK.
The only times I used mine was when I wanted to move 2 bales at a time (front and back), or to load 2 bales high on a trailer.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,354  
OK.
The only times I used mine was when I wanted to move 2 bales at a time (front and back), or to load 2 bales high on a trailer.

There you go. We put the spear on the back and carry one roll on it and another in the bucket from the field to the trailer. We stack the rolls 3 high in the barn with the bucket and pull them back and over onto their end in the bucket when taking to feed. Some guys up here stack their rolls on end in the barn but I like them stored upright the way they come out of the baler and stack them 3 rows high and 3 rows deep along the barn walls. No problem reaching in that far with the bucket if you take them down in the right order.
Everybody has got their own way of doing things depending on habit, equipment, and maneuverability room. Whew, I doubt if I spelled that right.:confused2:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,355  
If your handling rolls of significant size and weight, which you must be if they won't fit in your bucket, your better off doing it your way with the spears attached to the plate. Rolls on a spear in front of a bucket apply additional leverage and stress to your system.
As far as your pointing out the pins in the message you posted above the one I did last night, have you ever been typing a response to a post and once you send it you find a number of other posted replies including more explanation from the OP?
Sorry for looking stupid to you, just trying to help from my past experiences.
We will be looking forward to seeing pictures of how good a welder you are on the project.
Ron

Ron,
Since our posts were posted 27 minutes apart, I will give that one to you. Bare in mind I am the one typing here taking major drugs for a recovering nasal infection. Sometimes, when typing lengthy replies, I take time out to do other tasks. When I finish a reply, I proof read it usually twice so I won't come across talking silly. So I apologize for me pointing out you were clueless.

I'm new to all this round bale thing and only have experience hauling, stacking, and using small square bales for our horses in the past. So some questions came up in your reply to Western. Why do some folks stack bales on end? Do they transport them on end? Seems like additional work stacking on end? How do you do this with the bucket and pull them back and over onto their end in the bucket when taking to feed with your loader bucket.? I am intrigued
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,356  
Ron,
I'm new to all this round bale thing and only have experience hauling, stacking, and using small square bales for our horses in the past. So some questions came up in your reply to Western. Why do some folks stack bales on end? Do they transport them on end? Seems like additional work stacking on end? How do you do this with the bucket and pull them back and over onto their end in the bucket when taking to feed with your loader bucket.? I am intrigued
hugs, Brandi
Brandi,
Some folks stack their rolls on end because of the height available from the ground to the bottom of the trusses. Usually their rolls are bigger in diameter than they are thick so they can get another layer high that way. Some feel the stack is more stable that way if they put each additional layer overlapping two rolls below. Some stack it that way in columns so they can just knock over a column with their FEL bucket as needed and pick them up from the ground level.
As I said, I stack mine 3 layers high standing up as they are when ejected from the baler. The bottom of the rolls in the second layer sit in the curved V between two rolls in the layer under it. My first layer sets on skids rather than the dirt floor.

The bucket I normally use to get the bales down from the stack is a multipurpose bucket which has a flat bottom because it has
a whole bunch of tapered manure tines on the bottom. They fit into a slot across the front of the solid bucket part that is bolted onto the back of the bucket to carry dirt or whatever. So I can just put the front edge of the bottom of the bucket down on the top of a roll, apply a little downward curl while backing up a little and then curl upward as I back away. The roll just flops over with it's flat side nearest the bucket into the bucket. I've done this for 20 years so am pretty good at it.
I have a regular "U" shaped bucket on another tractor which will also do it but much trickier. I don't use a grapple.

The #1 thing to keep in mind when transporting a roll in any bucket is to be sure the roll and bucket are lower than the top of the barn door opening when you go outside or the barn owner will have a :hissyfit: and a weird shaped door opening to boot:cool:
Ron

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,357  
Thanks for explaining that. I was trying to figure it out for a regular bucket. Below is the frame for my QA Adapter Plate I cut out today. It is 2x2 tube with 1/8" wall with the center 2x4 tube 1/4" tube for the spear sleeve.

Oh yeah.....I don't have a welder........yet. I never have used MIG, just Arc in high school ag shop. Done some gas welding in A&P school and have made a few tools brazing since then.

I'm leaning towards buying a Hobart Handler 190 or even a Hobart IronMan 230 MIG Welder. Tractor Supply sales Hobart's and I can get zero interest for 6 months.
hugs, Brandi
1-11-13 Bale Spear QA Frame.jpg

#1,358  
Brandi, if you where closer, I'd drag my Bobcat 250 over, you'd have a "hay-day" ((Sorry:D)) Playing with it! I also have a Miller 185 mig, love that thing, wonderful machine.

I have looked at those Hobarts (actually had 2 of their Handler 120's years ago) Good running welders. I like them even more now that they are owned by Miller Welding. That 230 would probably weld anything you ever need (except maybe to hard-surface a cutter) Or go the 190 and get one of their small stick welders too;) Both should take a 40# roll, but doubt you'd use that much, before it started to corrode, that's allot of wire!

0% interest!! What ya wait'n for:laughing: same as cash!!!

#1,359  
Ron, I have only ever seen one guy that stacked hay vertical, but I can see the reasoning as you describe. Personally, I think it would be a bigger pain then benefit from what I've seen, Couldn't imagine trying to stack 800-1000# bales on end in more than 1 row high.

I have flipped them also like you described, usually when feeding in a hay ring, I'll flip it up, drop the ring back over and remove the wrap.

#1,360  
I'm not sure which one of you guy's North of me left the door open, but Gee wizzz, close the pneumonia hole already.:laughing:

Good chill in the air, add the breeze and it's down right cool. Had a decent amount of sleet last night around 1am, wasn't expecting that!!