Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,401  
Had to turn the air-conditioner on in the pickup yesterday; first time in awhile.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,402  
014.jpg 017.jpg 027.jpg 034.jpg

I stoped at a church just south of Chandler TX on the way home last night to take a few pictures of their bell tower. It's right next to Lake Palestine, so I stuck around to see what the sun would do. Turned out to be a pretty good show and a great new place for me to try to be at in the evening when working in that area.

Eddie

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,403  
The Keyhole garden project (aka. soldier larva hatchery) was a success. Now I have to redo it right.

I removed soil and 1000+ rocks yesterday from my keyhole garden. This time they go back down with a cement base and with mortar.
The compost core in the middle never got more than 1/3 full with everyday (about 1/2 gallon a day) produce scraps. The soldier larva kept composting as fast as we could load it. Now that it's winter and the larva are dormant the center is up to 2/3 full. It will be interesting to see if they will catch up when the weather gets warm.

Notice how the soil shrunk (I filled it to the top 3 times) and the rotting cardboard exposes gaps in the rock.

Attachments

• keyhole before.jpg
    keyhole before.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 98
   / Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,404  
Sweated while doing fence repair today...amazing!! If this keeps up, I'm gonna bet this will go down as the hottest winter in Central Texas....ever!

John I had a dead tree down on the fence that I fixed yesterday and started out needing a sweatshirt on, but came out of that pretty quick. With all the dead trees we have this battle may go on for ever.

Charlie

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#1,405  
76* here yesterday, seemed I spent half my time putting on and taking off my welding shirt since it was so warm. Today is supposed to be warmer still.

Back to "normal" temps come Friday, which really isn't to bad (55*) but a slight chance of rain here so that will be welcome. I have allot of winter rye coming up I threw out prior to the last rain, it could use a little more water to keep it going. I wonder if this year will be like last year, most of our rain by May then a bad dry spell?

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,406  
About 3/4 of my trees have died in the drought over the past 4 years...now, they are all coming down any time there is a reason...and sometimes when there is no reason....I am making the rounds with the tractor tugging on anything that looks like it might fall on the fence to see if I can get it down before it does fall on the fence. Big job. Lotsa trees along many fence lines.

John I had a dead tree down on the fence that I fixed yesterday and started out needing a sweatshirt on, but came out of that pretty quick. With all the dead trees we have this battle may go on for ever.

Charlie

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,407  
View attachment 299407 View attachment 299408 View attachment 299409 View attachment 299410

I stoped at a church just south of Chandler TX on the way home last night to take a few pictures of their bell tower. It's right next to Lake Palestine, so I stuck around to see what the sun would do. Turned out to be a pretty good show and a great new place for me to try to be at in the evening when working in that area.
Eddie

Eddie..
Nice shots. Have you tried HDR on scenes like this? Over expose a couple stops, normal expose, and under expose a couple stops. Then blend the images for HDR.
Ron

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,408  
View attachment 299407 View attachment 299408 View attachment 299409 View attachment 299410

Eddie

Eddie..
Nice shots. Have you tried HDR on scenes like this? Over expose a couple stops, normal expose, and under expose a couple stops. Then blend the images for HDR.
Ron

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#1,409  
ended the day with a high of 82*!!!! I may have missed the "gardening" window:laughing:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,410  
Is it already time to move to the "Texas Spring/ Summer" thread?

Charlie