Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,411  
ended the day with a high of 82*!!!! I may have missed the "gardening" window:laughing:

NWS says it only got to 78 in Denton. But I've been working outside a good bit the last two days and having a bit of a problem with "hay fever?" or some allergy that I'm not accustomed to having; sneezing, blowing my nose, and itching eyes. I've even taken a couple of Benadryl capsules and used Visine in my eyes.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#1,412  
NWS says it only got to 78 in Denton. But I've been working outside a good bit the last two days and having a bit of a problem with "hay fever?" or some allergy that I'm not accustomed to having; sneezing, blowing my nose, and itching eyes. I've even taken a couple of Benadryl capsules and used Visine in my eyes.

Bird, Pete Delcus said last night it was the Cedar pollen blowing up from Central Texas, said this is normal for this time of year but higher than normal. May be what is "agitating" you?

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,413  
I used to have lots of allergy problems with mountain cedar, and my sinuses ran all night long making me wake up to clear my throat. I still have a mild problem, but my doctor suggested Cetirizine hcl. That's the generic form of Zyrtec and is OTC. A bottle of 100 is around $19 at Walmart and $14 at a small pharmacy right beside my clinic. My doctor told me she could write a prescription and I'd only have to pay the copay, but I could also get it OTC. I usually just buy it because it's less hassle than doing the prescription thing and 100 pills at one per day is well over a 3-month supply. Anyhow, the stuff has done a lot to help me. It hasn't cured all the drainage and throat clearing, but it's reduced it to a manageable level.

Charlie: I don't think we are ready for the spring/summer thread yet. We have February yet to go. You just can't trust February in Texas.:rolleyes:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,414  
I don't think we are ready for the spring/summer thread yet. We have February yet to go. You just can't trust February in Texas.:rolleyes:

So True!!!!! This is my parents first winter in Texas, and they didn't believe me how cold it can get. Now my mom is telling me that she doesn't think it's that bad and I tell her that Feburary is the month to be afraid of.

Eddie

#1,415  
Wasn't it last February we got near 12" + of snow, may have been the year before??? Jut say'n

Still, overall, it has been a mild winter, with a few day's of "real" cold. I can handle the cold temps usually, but despise the wind.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,416  
Bird, Pete Delcus said last night it was the Cedar pollen blowing up from Central Texas, said this is normal for this time of year but higher than normal. May be what is "agitating" you?

Dennis, I expect that's right, but it never bothered me when I lived down there and had all those cedar trees everywhere.

And I deleted your double post; that happens fairly frequently.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,417  
I tell her that Feburary is the month to be afraid of.

Eddie, I read a long time ago that January is our worst, or coldest, month, but like you, February always seemed the worst to me. Maybe it's just because by February we're tired of Winter.:laughing:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,418  
My intention was to buy a box of California navel oranges and then buy a box from Texas to make a comparison. However, there must have been a conspiracy to keep me from buying Texas fruit by sending me so many from California.:confused3:

Actually, several years ago, my wife and I were in California and bought some navel oranges right at the orange grove. They were so good, I decided to buy some from both CA and TX. I will still buy from the Texas growers, but not before Christmas. They'll still have plenty of oranges in the valley in January when I finally get rid of all the ones I have.

THE GREAT ORANGE CONSPIRACY IS REAL!:mad: . . . Just kiddin'.;)

If this weren't so funny, I might really be mad. All I wanted was some darn Texas Navel Oranges. . .grrr! I looked online for a company that ships oranges. One of the biggest was Pittman & Davis out of Harlingen. Here's a link to their website where they describe their Texas Navel Oranges. Notice just to the right and under the photo it says, "Because of the climate oranges are available in Texas all year although the peak season for navel oranges is November through early May. During August and September the market tends to slow down although it is still possible to find an abundant supply of navel oranges in some places throughout the United States. Texas is only one of the four states that grows and harvests the oranges that are shipped to various states on both the east and west coasts." Does that or does it not sound like they ship navel oranges all year around?

So, after Brandi beat me up so badly:eek: about not buying Texas fruit, I was sure gonna try to support my fellow Texans. Before Christmas, I ordered a half-bushel of Texas Navel Oranges from Pittman & Davis. Later, they sent me a link to their Tangelos and I decided to try a dozen of those also. Bear in mind that these two orders were three weeks apart. Last week, the mail carrier rolled up to my door with both boxes of fruit. I never expected them to both arrive on the same day, but at least they arrived in good order and superb packaging. The boxes are extremely heavy cardboard and banded. Inside there is a double layer of foam for the tangelos and the oranges were all wrapped individually in tissue and padded so no bruising would occur. When I unwrapped the first orange, right away I noticed there was no navel. You can't have a navel orange without a navel, can you? I peeled one and noticed the fruit was very light in color, just slightly more orange than a lemon. I put a section in my mouth to find out it was extremely sweet, but with very little orange taste and. . . A SEED! What?! Navel oranges are supposed to be seedless. In my two bushels of California Navels, not a single one had a seed. Right away, I decided they had screwed up and sent me Valencia oranges or some other type.

On the other hand, the tangelos are very tangy, almost slightly bitter and not sweet at all. Maybe that's the "tang" in tangelo. I'm not sure because these are my first...and probably last.

Not being one to let them get away with this without raising a protest, I went to their Facebook page and posted my disappointment. Right away they said if I would send them an email with the order number, they'd correct their mistake. So, I wrote an email describing how I had ordered California Navels and given them in Christmas fruit baskets. I also told them how I "took heat" for not buying Texas Navels and supporting Texans. I assured them that I wanted Texas Navel Oranges to make a comparison to the ones from California. I even told them that they didn't have to send me the whole 1/2 bushel, just a sample would do.

So I get a response yesterday that they are "so sorry" and will be shipping me a replacement order of California Navels on February 5th. ARE YOU KIDDIN' ME?!! After all my explanation, they are sending me California Navels. So, this morning, I sent back another email and very nicely asked them if the California Navels was a typo. They responded that it was not a typo. Here is most of their response, "All of November and December we do ship our Texas Navel Oranges, then we switch to the California Navels." Well, that's exactly what the website says. . . NOT!!!

I went back to the FB page this morning and posted that I was not only disappointed, but now I'm fed up.:thumbdown:

So Brandi, I really tried to do Texas Navels, but a bunch of dummies down in the Valley are messin' with my head. . . and pocketbook. What do you think?

EDIT: What makes this all worse, is that I saw 10 lb bags of beautiful big navel oranges in Sam's Club last week for $5.98 a bag. That works out to about 1/4 per lb for what I paid for my Pittman & Davis 'mystery' oranges.

Last edited:
#1,419  
Jim, Orange you still going to eat them?:D and why so adamant about getting naval oranges, just have your grandson draw anchors on them and you will have "naval" oranges!:flag-navy::laughing::p yeah, I took medication today)

Brother you tried, just be glad Brandie cant put you in the "dog house":thumbsup: I was at Brookshires yesterday on the way home from Dallas, I had a taste for some Texas oranges, but the ones they had looked slightly "Green" in color. They had plenty of "purdy" Cali oranges but the ones I got last week where half peel???

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,420  
Jim, I guess we all think of Texas, California, and/or Florida when we think of citrus, but we spent February, 1990, in Phoenix, AZ. Old friends who lived there had a fine crop of grapefruit in their yard, and neighbors in the RV park we stayed in gave us more grapefruit and oranges from their local trees than we could eat.